Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings?

Go down 
+2
X-Racer
BigBird
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBird

Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings? Empty
PostSubject: Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings?   Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 11:50 am

I finaly got my WRR together and got in some good trail riding this weekend. Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings? 379944 (first off road in 25 years for this old guy - so a REAL relearning experience)

I found my self wishing that I could get a "soft" power response when opening the throttle slightly at low RPM in 1st gear in the TIGHT stuff - so the bike wouldn't leap ahead into trees, etc. (OUCH!).

I have a Power Commander V installed with the stock muffler but with ALL the emmissions stuff removed and the appropriate PCV map for that config (Map #1).

My question is - Has anyone tried modifying the PCV fuel mapping for low throttle openings at low RPMs to "detune" the power - and thus soften the initial throttle response?

I was thinking maybe make it overly lean or overly rich in those areas of the map so it would have LESS power at these intial throttle openings. This could be limited to 1st and 2nd gears only if the speed input was installed so the maps could be Gear specific.

Any Experioence, Ideas or Comments weilcome!
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings?   Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 10:27 pm

Hey Big Bird... I'll resist typing like the 'Cookie Monster' for now. Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings? 93746

I am not familiar with the PCV or the compatibility with other PC maps, but here is a place to get them if they are.

Another potential solution may be gearing options.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=75844&highlight=maps

AND WELCOME BACK ! We've missed you !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings?   Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings? EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 2:02 am

I think your best bet is to talk to an experienced tuner, it definately can be done. I know a real experienced guy close by who tunes race bikes will do different maps for 1/4 mile drag vs road racing, based on that same idea.
Back to top Go down
rinconrider

PostSubject: Re: Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings?   Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings? EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 12:01 am

to soften first gear i put on a 400 throttle cam. i tried a 200 but it was still to abrupt in 1st (2nd was perfect).

if you are not familiar, you get a throttle tube and can change out the 'cam' at the end which controls the profile on how quickly the rotation of the throttle translates into the pull of the throttle cable. the higher numbers are more oblong, which means the first part of the throttle comes on slower.

g2 ergonomics makes them, here.

wes
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings?   Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings? EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 2:42 pm

There's one thing that you cant change unfortunately
When the throttle is off (decell) the injector is not firing
So when you get back on the throttle the engine lurches, like from Not running to instantly running
PC 3/5 etc will not change that
I know there are after market systems that change that on street bikes
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings?   Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings? EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 3:35 pm

If you get good with using your clutch lever, this ain't a problem.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings?   Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 12:38 am

YZEtc wrote:
If you get good with using your clutch lever, this ain't a problem.

Ya, I agree
If you ride the bike like a YZ125 it's tons O fun
I havent heard of problems but the clutch looks pretty small
Mine howls and chatters a lot, Probably all of them do?
I wonder how much the clutch can take
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings?   Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 6:37 am

Actually, I don't mean using the clutch exactly as you would on a YZ-125 (using clutch slippage to keep a bike in it's powerband).
Just slight slippage when opening the throttle during tight and slow going in 1st gear to soften the application of power.
Doing this is not abusive to the clutch and won't wear it out quickly - you're just using it to soften the tug on the drive chain from the sudden opening of the throttle.
This means keeping a finger or two on the clutch lever at all times in the tight going, something that is a very good habit to get into as it cuts stalling down greatly while in tight stuff.

With myself, it's either do this or get yourself ready for the power when it comes on when you open the throttle.
Basically, get your mind and body in synch. :)

As for the WR-250R clutch, to me, it feels like a typical Yamaha dual-purpose or off-road clutch - will take some decent slippage and abuse if that's your style, although the more you heat it up, the more slack you'll get in the clutch cable.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings?   Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 11:13 am

Wow Red, I haven't had any noise like that on mine...you always ride it like you raped it? Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings? 93746

A wolf's voice echoed down the mountain 'Share the bounty of the hunt with your brothers and sisters, and forever be strong and free.' Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings? Wolf_b10
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings?   Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 1:19 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Wow Red, I haven't had any noise like that on mine...you always ride it like you raped it? Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings? 93746

Rape is such a strong term........
Just because I keep her locked up in a cold dark place in chains and only bring it out to flog it
I buy it nice things like a Q4 and Powerbomb, Will buy it a bigger Jug soon
IS THAT SO WRONG??
You do some pretty dirty things with yours you know Shog
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings?   Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 2:10 pm

0007onWR wrote:
Will buy it a bigger Jug soon

Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings? 640571 You're jesting me...

A wolf's voice echoed down the mountain 'Share the bounty of the hunt with your brothers and sisters, and forever be strong and free.' Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings? Wolf_b10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings?   Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings? Empty

Back to top Go down

Soften Initrial Throttle Response with Power Com V Settings?
Page 1 of 1