Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Plastic skid plates

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
njbill

njbill

Plastic skid plates Empty
PostSubject: Plastic skid plates   Plastic skid plates EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 6:02 pm

Are there any plastic skid plates available for the WRR? I checked Hyde Racing but they do not have one.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Plastic skid plates   Plastic skid plates EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 9:07 pm

If you plan on doing any off-roading with that bike I wouldn't use a plastic skid plate. That would be ok for the WRX road only kinda thing.

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Plastic skid plates   Plastic skid plates EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 9:22 pm

SheWolf wrote:
If you plan on doing any off-roading with that bike I wouldn't use a plastic skid plate. That would be ok for the WRX road only kinda thing.

I have seen some in local enduros and they hold-up well, especially the Hyde units. Where I live, there are almost no rocks and lots of sand.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Plastic skid plates   Plastic skid plates EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 10:29 pm

Plastic skid plates 61865 You've got it made then. Most places when you off-road you get all kinds of ugly stuff, which is why I was kinda like... Plastic skid plates 640571 *thinks of opening up the bottom of the crankcase with a nasty chunk of granite* I haven't seen anyone running the plastics around here. Let us know if you do find something.

PostSubject: Re: Plastic skid plates   Plastic skid plates EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 2:37 am

I modified a plastic Acerbis skidplate and I'll bet you could do the same with the Hyde.

Skidplate mod

I have Hyde skidplates on my CRF230F and CRF250X and also had one on my TE310 and after seeing the Acerbis, I think I'll try modifying the Hyde WR250F skidplate when the Acerbis needs replacing. The Hyde skidplates are a bit thicker than the Acerbis and look to have larger wings.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Plastic skid plates   Plastic skid plates EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 7:22 pm

That is funny. When researching the WR250R, I found that website and bookmarked it. I am glad to meet the creator here. Nice job! I am thinking about the plastic mod with the Hyde WR250F unit.

ramz wrote:
I modified a plastic Acerbis skidplate and I'll bet you could do the same with the Hyde.

Skidplate mod

I have Hyde skidplates on my CRF230F and CRF250X and also had one on my TE310 and after seeing the Acerbis, I think I'll try modifying the Hyde WR250F skidplate when the Acerbis needs replacing. The Hyde skidplates are a bit thicker than the Acerbis and look to have larger wings.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Plastic ? Fantastic !   Plastic skid plates EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 8:04 pm

I came up with the same decision/solution RAMZ did.

No fear using a plastic skiddie here. ..but the girl isn't bouncing off of rocks on a normal basis on this bike.

The LC4 has one with purposely designed-in 1.25" holes. It's light, cleans easily and self-flushes debris out.

I'd almost be inclined to fit a CF version, but will wait for more availability of aftermarket options.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Plastic skid plates   Plastic skid plates EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 6:53 pm

Acerbis plastic pics with a little different design implementation.

The Acerbis protection leaves a little bit to be desired so I used a coping saw and adopted the plastic wings as add-ons.

Plastic skid plates IMG_0004
Also I did not spend the time to heat and flex the plate out (doing so
will enhance the profile of the frame and add more "top" coverage into the single downtube area - see njbill's pics).

Not doing so also leaves the plate approximately an inch below the cradle in the bend area and back a few inches.

Plastic skid plates IMG_0006

Last edited by X-Racer on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RDJeff

PostSubject: Re: Plastic skid plates   Plastic skid plates EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 11:54 am

Plastic? I built one out of 3/8" UHMWPE that will probably out-live 10 aluminum ones! I paid $50 for a 24"x24" piece, and made a rear rack out of it too! Pictures to follow...
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Plastic skid plates   Plastic skid plates EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 6:37 pm

RDJeff wrote:
Plastic? I built one out of 3/8" UHMWPE that will probably out-live 10 aluminum ones! I paid $50 for a 24"x24" piece, and made a rear rack out of it too! Pictures to follow...

Plastic skid plates 454776

Please post pictures ASAP. Plastic skid plates 163123
Back to top Go down
RDJeff

PostSubject: Re: Plastic skid plates   Plastic skid plates EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 11:55 am

Plastic skid plates Wrskid16
Back to top Go down
RDJeff

PostSubject: Re: Plastic skid plates   Plastic skid plates EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 11:56 am

Plastic skid plates Wrrack11
Back to top Go down
RDJeff

PostSubject: Re: Plastic skid plates   Plastic skid plates EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 11:56 am

Plastic skid plates Wrshot11
Back to top Go down
RDJeff

PostSubject: Re: Plastic skid plates   Plastic skid plates EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 12:01 pm

I haven't figure out how to put text in with the photos yet. This was a sheet of 3/8" UHMWPE, cost me $50 at an industrial supply house. I cut the skid plate first, then the rack. After I cut the plate, I heated it with a propane torch to bend it, didn't take a lot of heat, then drilled it for the mounting bolts, two in front, and two underneath. Voila!

The rack is shown before I finished it, and it now has all four bolts in. I drilled the fender, and used four plastic hose barbs as spacers, then bolted it up. I also added a Kolpin 1.5 gallon can and mount.

Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plastic skid plates   Plastic skid plates Empty

Back to top Go down

Plastic skid plates
Page 1 of 1