Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price!

Go down 
+7
SheWolf
xcel
David Haynes
Jäger
matttys
greer
calico jack
11 posters
AuthorMessage
calico jack

Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! Empty
PostSubject: Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price!   Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 3:17 pm

Hello all, I was surfing the net looking for seat options for the R2. I came across Rick Mayer's web site and found that he is currently running a special, .50 cents per CC!! I called the number listed on the webpage and actually spoke with Rick himself. (Very Nice BTW). The solo job on my stock seat would cost $125.00 plus $35.00 shipping. I'm not 100% ready to pull the trigger yet but though I would share it with yall. I'll need to get permission from the Boss Lady before I spend any more $$$$

Oh and by the way If any of you have already done this seat mod please let me know how it is.
Thanks,
C
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price!   Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 5:40 am

That does sound like a heck of a deal. Please keep us posted.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
matttys

matttys

PostSubject: Re: Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price!   Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 10:06 pm

Looks like he know's what he is doing! I'm calling tomorrow. I just did 1400 miles on my R in 5 days and I'm willing to spend $150 for a new seat!

Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! Yamaha_2009_WR250R_Solo_Vin

Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! Suzuki-DRZ400S
Back to top Go down
calico jack

PostSubject: Re: Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price!   Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 8:41 am

Same here, I did a 6 day through Ga, SC, NC, and TN. When it was over I felt like my pelvis was going to split in half!
I talked to the Boss Lady last night and she gave me the go-ahead, It will be my Fathers Day Present cheers
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price!   Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 3:35 pm

matttys wrote:
Looks like he know's what he is doing! I'm calling tomorrow. I just did 1400 miles on my R in 5 days and I'm willing to spend $150 for a new seat!

Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! Suzuki-DRZ400S

That one looks like it has potential, even on a Zook; the other one I'm not so sure of without sitting on. Does he claim his seats get your ass any closer to the asphalt?

300 mile days on my bike are not pleasant. My catch is sending away my seat and then being seatless until it returns.

I guess a guy should look for a left over seat pan.
Back to top Go down
calico jack

PostSubject: Re: Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price!   Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 4:55 pm

no word on seat height changes, When I spoke with him he mentioned that he was currently 5-6 weeks out on work. He advised to go ahead and send in your order form and when the time comes he will contact you to send your seat. He gets it and returns it when done. So depending on his project time plus shipping the time without a seat could range from 6 days(shipping alone) to whenever. I can only assume that he has a one or two day return rate being that he has one day services for people who are close enough to just drive there.
Back to top Go down
David Haynes

David Haynes

PostSubject: Best to not be in a hurry with Mayer...   Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 8:56 pm

I placed my order for this seat in mid-February and sent a check for the full amount - $160 shipped

Then I purchased another stock seat from a member here who'd bought a Corbin for his bike and had him to ship the seat to Mayer in California.

The seat was supposed to be made the week of March 31st. It was to be shipped April 16th. Then another delay and it finally shipped last Wednesday. According to the tracking link to Fed-Ex they sent it's now en route and supposed to be delivered tomorrow, May 1.

I say all this not to be critical of Mayer's operation - though they could certainly be better with communication and customer service - but to warn anyone who's expecting or requires a fast turn-around to look elsewhere.

Last year I had him do a saddle for my BMW F650 Dakar and it was the same thing... this was delayed for that reason, etc. etc. and that saddle ended up getting to me a month after the date he initially promised. And he actually first sent someone else's Dakar seat to me by mistake!

All that said, I went back to him for the WR-R saddle for two reasons - his work was very good and the price is ridiculously cheap compared to other custom saddles out there.

I think they're a small family business and they just don't seem to get in a hurry, which if fine with me if they deliver on quality. I'm hoping the WR-R's saddle is as nicely done and comfy as the one he did for the Dakar. If so, I'll be happy.

I'll post photos and give my impressions of the new saddle when it arrives. Supposedly tomorrow. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price!   Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Hi David:

The price does indeed seem like a good one!

Do you know if he makes a standard OEM looking smooth seat from front to back that is wider, even flatter and includes a slightly taller profile w/ more foam similar to the Renazco as seen on this KLX250? Secondly, how comfortable was the Mayer on your BMW F650 Dakar?

Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! Renazco_on_KLX250SF

Thanks in advance.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price!   Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 10:57 pm

Ok, that seat looks the least hideous out of all of them. Probably as comfortable in the end too.

Bgunn

PostSubject: Re: Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price!   Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! EmptyMon May 03, 2010 10:08 pm

At twice the price of the Mayer seat and a 6 month wait, I finally got my renazco. A bit wider and way more comfortable than stock. Same height as stock. Great seat and they finished it ahead of the build date, high quality saddle.
I have a seat being made for my DR at Rick Mayer. Allowing plenty of time for the seat to show up.

Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! Dscn0842s
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price!   Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! EmptyMon May 03, 2010 10:59 pm

Hi Bgunn:

Fantastic looking Renazco seat! Quick first impressions please. Harder or softer foam? How is the wider rear end and far less slope toward the front feel to you? Does the taller foam and seat up front fit you better than before? You purchased the regular black vinyl top and bottom, right?

Thanks in advance

Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG
Back to top Go down
Bgunn

Bgunn

PostSubject: Re: Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price!   Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! EmptyTue May 04, 2010 8:19 pm

Thanks, I've always liked the look of Renazco seats. My first impression of the seat is good. Its firmer than I thought it be, and am happy about that.

I've had a few Corbin seats, and its nowhere near the firmness of them. I tend to sit back where the seat tapers out. The slope to the front is less than stock but the pic doesn't really do it justice. Don't really use the front of the seat much, but it does feel more comfortable. Went with the black vinyl with blue stitching. Here is a message I got from Chris at renazco.

The WR-R seat is pretty thin, especially in the middle rear. I can lower the seat, but it ends up being a bit of a "pocket" style as the amount of lowering varies based on stock thickness vs. pan intrusion.
You can "see" what I can do if you remove your seat and look at what the pan/foam relationship is. To support your weight properly, I'd have to build a low seat as firm or fimer than stock.
A better way to go may be to build a stock height seat that is softer than stock... you sit lower, but still have good comfort and compliance.
Back to top Go down
David Haynes

David Haynes

PostSubject: Mayer Saddle...   Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! EmptyTue May 04, 2010 9:09 pm

My saddle finally arrived today. I posed some initial impressions and photos here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12850557&postcount=13567
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price!   Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! EmptyWed May 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Nice seat! Looks pretty comfortable. I wonder how it works for shorter riders like myself.
Back to top Go down
winterfreak

PostSubject: Re: Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price!   Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! EmptyWed May 12, 2010 12:14 am

I have a R. Mayer seat on it's way. Should be here in another week, cross fingers. Bored without the WR to ride. Full ride report to follow delivery.
Back to top Go down
BigBird

PostSubject: Re: Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price!   Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 10:58 pm

I got one of the Mayer seats on the 50 cents per cc deal. I have now put about 650 miles on it.

The first 500 miles was on a 2 day dual sport ride and I was very happy with it and seemed to have a more comfortable saddle than any of the other bikes - BUT I am a nut about seats and decided to do a few mods. So I took the cover off and just did a little more of what Mayer had done. ( I have modified every seat I've ever had - Even my Russell Day Long on my GL1800 as I am very particular and have pokey butt bones)

I cut a slit in the side of the 2 wings and jamed a piece of 1/2 thick clsed cell sleeping pad in to make the wings a littel firmer and taller. I also cut some holes in the foam where my butt bones rest. I then put a 1/4 thick layer of the closed cell foam on the front of the saddle where it seemed to be a little lower than I wanted thus eliminating a slight dip from the main sead area.

After this I did 150+ miles last Friday and it is now PERFECT. There is a nice pocket that supports my butt from cheek to dheek with no pressure points at the butt bones or anywhere else. This is the place I sit for cruseing. When I get into cornereing mode I slide all the way forward.

After doing this it is WONDERFUL and can be ridden for hours with NO discomfort.

I should add that I also have a sheep skin on top of the saddle held on with a strap across the front for all of the 650 miles. I will make a more permanent addtachemet for this soon.

Net is that I think most people with be VERY satisfied with this saddle with out mods. It does the same thing as a Russel Day Long just on a smaller scale. It is not how wide or how soft a seat is that makes the difference - rather it is how well it equalizes the load across ALL of your contact area including thighs and butt cheeks.

I would buy this seat again even at full price. Skierd sat on it briefly and seemed impressed as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price!   Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price! Empty

Back to top Go down

Rick Mayer Custom Seats... Great Price!
Page 1 of 1