Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Shifter pedal adjustment

Go down 
+7
Jäger
Midnite171
Chrispy1200
SheWolf
motokid
mattf
albrecht194
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
albrecht194

albrecht194

Shifter pedal adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySat May 01, 2010 5:50 pm

Has anyone else encountered problems with adjusting or taking off the shifter
I'm trying to adjust it up a Notch or 2 for easier shifting with my comp5s but the bolt thing won't budge at all idk if I'm doing something wrong or if it's stuck for good. Is there an easier way to adjust the lever up that I'm missing? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySat May 01, 2010 6:54 pm

the bolt unscrews just like a normal bolt. you have to take the bolt all the way out before you can remove the shifter to adjust the angle of it. if you are using just a regular 90 degree allen wrench you can take a closed end wrench and slide it over the end of the allen wrench to essentially make the handle of the allen wrench longer so you can apply more torque to the bolt. hopefully I explained that well enough for you to understand the second wrench thing.
Back to top Go down
albrecht194

albrecht194

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySat May 01, 2010 7:16 pm

Haha yeah you did but I tried that also and no luck.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySat May 01, 2010 8:03 pm

I adjusted mine.

So you completely removed the pinch bolt?

If not remove it all the way.

You may need to insert a flat blade screw driver into the slot that the bolt pinches closed. and wiggle it around a bit to "unpinch" it from the splines on the shaft.

The gear shifter should slide off without needing too much persuading.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
albrecht194

albrecht194

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySat May 01, 2010 8:42 pm

Maybe that's the problem how the pinch bolt work? And where is it?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySat May 01, 2010 9:03 pm

I removed the bolt all the way out. I took a tire spoon and placed it in between the frame and the shifter, and gently applied some pressure against the shifter arm. It came loose, and from there I wiggled it off the splines. Shifter pedal adjustment 61865

motokid

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySat May 01, 2010 9:06 pm

The shifter is held on to the shift-shaft with a pinch bolt.

There's a bolt that pinches the shifter lever onto that shaft.

If you don't know what that is you have now discovered why you can't adjust your shifter.

Shifter pedal adjustment DSCN1167

Red arrow (crude drawing) points to pinch bolt.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
albrecht194

albrecht194

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySat May 01, 2010 9:08 pm

ok got it lol but thats what i cant get off... its just stuck good.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySat May 01, 2010 9:10 pm

You can't get the pinch bolt out?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySat May 01, 2010 9:14 pm

Spray some weasel piss on it, it'll come off. Shifter pedal adjustment 61865

albrecht194

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySat May 01, 2010 9:19 pm

Nope it's not reverse thread is it? And I've been spraying liquid rench and wd40 almost bending the Allen wrench around not a budge
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySat May 01, 2010 9:24 pm

Standard thread as far as I remember.

Might need to let liquid wrench sit over night.

3 in 1 oil maybe?

Not sure what Shewolf means by weasel piss. Shifter pedal adjustment Icon_scratch

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySat May 01, 2010 9:37 pm

Weasel piss is Moovit. Actually I call anything that's used to loosen up rusty stuff or stubborn shit weasel piss. Shifter pedal adjustment 93746

albrecht194

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySat May 01, 2010 9:41 pm

Never heard of moovit but I have some liquid rench sitting on it now... Would heating it or cooling it help? I hate stubborn bolts!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySat May 01, 2010 9:46 pm

Just make sure you don't have a flameout with that stuff on there. WD40 is like napalm when you ignite it. Shifter pedal adjustment 640571

albrecht194

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySat May 01, 2010 9:48 pm

Well that'd be quite the show!! Lol lurk
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySat May 01, 2010 9:50 pm

it is standard thread, let that stuff sit on overnight and try again tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySun May 02, 2010 10:20 am

Slightly on / off topic but I just finished adjusting mine the other day to lower it. The way the bolt has to go in to the shifter, you go only rotate it one more spline down from factory. If you go two splines down from factory, I don't think you will be able to clear the bolt to the frame when you try to install the bolt. As it was, I had to rotate the shifter to get the bolt in.

I'm gonna have to take a closer look at it but this could be a problem if I want to go down another notch...........
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySun May 02, 2010 10:34 am

Strange, I got 3 splines on mine and never had a problem with it touching the frame. Shifter pedal adjustment 29721

albrecht194

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySun May 02, 2010 12:46 pm

letting the liquid wrench sit over night seemed to do the trick, that and wrenching on it both ways seemed to help too. Shifter pedal adjustment 61865
does anyone have an easy way to tell how many notches or splines you move it? it seems hard to tell if im moving it up one 2 or none at all
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySun May 02, 2010 2:38 pm

I took a sharpie pen and marked where it was stock on both the shaft and the shifter. Works great that way. Shifter pedal adjustment 61865

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySun May 02, 2010 4:36 pm

I had to raise my shifter up one tooth. My boot wasn't fitting too well under the shifter the way it came.
Back to top Go down
albrecht194

albrecht194

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptySun May 02, 2010 5:51 pm

Yeah, my smaller steel toe work boots worked fine but my big mx boots are a little rough
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptyMon May 03, 2010 12:58 am

SheWolf wrote:
Just make sure you don't have a flameout with that stuff on there. WD40 is like napalm when you ignite it. Shifter pedal adjustment 640571
Speaking from experience, no it's not.

The only thing like napalm is napalm. Burning plastic might come somewhat close, but WD40 ain't even in the same league.

It's basically Stoddard solvent. Not something you want to be playing with around open flame, but nowhere near as nasty as napalm.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment EmptyMon May 03, 2010 8:30 am

It was a figure of speech. Kinda like wearing a condom is like washing your feet with your socks on. Shifter pedal adjustment 93746

PostSubject: Re: Shifter pedal adjustment   Shifter pedal adjustment Empty

Back to top Go down

Shifter pedal adjustment
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next