Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Battery: How Long Do They Last?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BlueAngel

Battery: How Long Do They Last? Empty
PostSubject: Battery: How Long Do They Last?   Battery: How Long Do They Last? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 12:28 pm

Just curious how long typically the OEM battery would last. OEM car batteries last an average of 3.5 to 5 years. I'm not worried about mine yet (and it's under warranty) but the replacement battery market is healthy in that there's a lot of offerings (other than the Yuasa OEM). Heck, I can probably even borrow our server UPS battery for the weekend when the original battery calls it quits Very happy
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Battery: How Long Do They Last?   Battery: How Long Do They Last? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 2:31 pm

BA, There is probably distribution curves that represent failure rates.

My experience is that they either fail slowly (won't charge/maintain charge). The other failure mode is immediate (shorting within the battery), which has a characteristic name, but I can't recall what it is.

Your five (5) year estimate is probably a good a guess as any. I've had some batteries last up to seven (7) years.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Battery: How Long Do They Last?   Battery: How Long Do They Last? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 8:44 pm

I think a battery tender adds life to your battery. This is my fourth e-start only bike. I have used a battery tender on each one and never got stranded because of a dead battery. I probably should not have said that. Battery: How Long Do They Last? 986936
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Battery: How Long Do They Last?   Battery: How Long Do They Last? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 10:54 pm

NJBill: Absolutely.... Constant use (charging maintenance) prolongs life without a doubt. Four (4) five year old bikes with stock batteries in the garage that maintain charges proves just that.

Conversely, exposure to temp extremes without charging significantly reduces life.

There's a battery thread lying about here somewhere. We should go there with this discussion.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Battery: How Long Do They Last?   Battery: How Long Do They Last? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 11:01 pm

Battery Tender = LIFE

One winter without it could/will kill a modern motorcycle battery.

Any time you don't start and run bike for more than a few weeks you need it on a BT.

But cold........cold kills them quick.

My BT jr. was hooked to my X all winter long, even if I rode it once in a while. Any night with temps below 40 I had the bike on the BT.

What a wonderful invention.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Battery: How Long Do They Last?   Battery: How Long Do They Last? EmptySat May 29, 2010 1:52 am

I agree with the battery tender
Batteries never die in season, they show up dead after storage
If a battery sits with a low state of charge it sulphates, when you charge it the sulphation drops off and eventually the crud shorts out the plates and you get a dead cel
Should get 5 years out of it, maybe more
Standing voltage is what you want to measure, google it and you should find what it's supposed to be
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery: How Long Do They Last?   Battery: How Long Do They Last? Empty

Back to top Go down

Battery: How Long Do They Last?
Page 1 of 1