Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Deep Water?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
R_Lefebvre

Deep Water? Empty
PostSubject: Deep Water?   Deep Water? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 4:16 pm

Where I ride, I'm commonly exposed to deep water crossings. Basically count on it being up to the seat.

On my WR250F, the air intake is just under the seat, so as long as you don't go that high, it's fine. There are some breather hoses for the carb that hang out under the frame, and those need to be vented upwards, otherwise the carb can suck water in (which I never bothered doing). Makes it hard to restart if water goes in those hoses, but no big deal other than that.

Just wondering, what's the deal on these bikes? Is the air intake under the seat? Any breathers need to be rerouted or Teed upwards?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Deep Water? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Water?   Deep Water? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 4:26 pm

Air intake is under the seat. There are no vent hoses. There is a drain plug at the bottom of the airbox; some remove that before going into areas they know are deep, others leave it in. Some have taken the bike swimming...but beware that you run the risk of hydraulic failure if you suck in water. Some have had to rebuild, others were lucky enuf to kill the engine before it went under. If you happen to submarine it, be prepared to spend a fair bit of time draining water out, and a few oil changes.

Deep Water? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Water?   Deep Water? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 4:39 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with what happens if you suck water right in. I'm mostly interested in any vents that need to be rerouted. That's great if there are none. So there's no little clear plastic hoses hanging down the bottom of the frame like carbed bikes? (I have like 6 on mine).

I know it's possible to blow up an engine sucking in water, but seems it never actually happens? I've seen a number of drowned bikes, and other than the hassle of getting the water out, never seen a single ruined engine. In fact, a buddy of mine drowned his KTM 250 twice on the same enduro, and got it going both times. Is it different with this bike, or you're just saying... ? I have seen a few ruined truck engines, and I lost my transmission due to this little misadventure...

Deep Water? SIMG_3469

But bikes seem to have conrods that are strong enough. Deep Water? 29721

And, why would you remove the drain before before going into the water? Wouldn't that let the water in? I'd think you'd leave it in, then take it out to drain the water when you are done?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Deep Water? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Water?   Deep Water? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 4:57 pm

Guys have left it in so water will drain out...I leave mine in. And yes, there have been reported cases of ppl having to rebuild on this bike due to rod failure or bearing failure. IIRC, I think one guy decided to rebuild with the Athena kit since he had to tear it down anyway. Deep Water? 29721

Deep Water? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Water?   Deep Water? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 8:41 pm

yup, I had to rebuild my engine this spring due to a bearing failure, I swamped my bike at about 600 miles, a few oil changes later everything worked fine. engine went out at 4700 miles and after it was actually tore down and inspected the mechanic does not believe the failure had anything to do with swamping it, but who knows. but I am loving the big bore kit now.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Deep Water? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Water?   Deep Water? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 11:18 pm

Deep Water? 61865 See, I knew someone did that. Thanks for confirming Matt.

Deep Water? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Water?   Deep Water? Empty

Back to top Go down

Deep Water?
Page 1 of 1