Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

water crossings?

Go down 
+3
YamahaTN
sewerat
casto
7 posters
AuthorMessage
casto

water crossings? Empty
PostSubject: water crossings?   water crossings? EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 3:08 pm

I was riding a logging trail the other day and came across a water crossing of unknown depth. I threw some sticks into what looked like the deepest part but I couldn't really tell. I think it was deep enough to submerge the engine, so I didn't risk it. So my question is, how deep is too deep to cross with our bike, and is it worth the risk when you don't know?
Back to top Go down
sewerat

water crossings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: water crossings?   water crossings? EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 3:22 pm

Waist deep is about the limit, about the bottom of your seat. Unless you are running your airbox open then its about knee deep. I won't cross any unknown water if I am alone, if you have a problem, you have buddies to help lift it out poser2
Back to top Go down
YamahaTN

water crossings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: water crossings?   water crossings? EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 5:32 pm

Never had my WR swamped but had my YZ250F swamped twice. Probably had something to do with it laying on its side in a mud hole but that's another story. You're ok as long as you keep water out of the air intake and keep the exhaust open. I usually keep the engine reved pretty good and don't hang around in deep water for very long. My riding partner and I have come across numerous holes and creek crossings of unknown depth. Some folks have told me that if you don't know how deep then stay out. If we cant see the bottom, then we do the same thing you did as far as checking the depth with a stick. Problem around here is that some mud holes are just mud in the bottom so you will sink further than you think. Some that have looked real deep had rock in the bottom and despite looking deep, the water was barely over the pegs. Our decision to cross also has something to do with how big the rocks are and how bad we are going to get thrown around. The previous poster was spot on when he said something about having someone there to help out if the bike gets stuck or swamped. I rarely ride alone but when I do I am very cautious.
Back to top Go down
morgan9283

water crossings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: water crossings?   water crossings? EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 12:24 pm

I usually walk across a stream/puddle before riding through it. I figure if I can't walk across it I shouldn't ride.

-morgan
Back to top Go down
jcasey

jcasey

water crossings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: water crossings?   water crossings? EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 2:23 pm

Keep your finger close to your kill switch and kill the motor if you are going down. Don,t want to have to get water out. :nono:
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

water crossings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: water crossings?   water crossings? EmptyTue May 01, 2012 10:07 pm

I usually walk unknown depth crossings. Helps determine consistency of the bottom and any hazards, too.

Realistically you can completely submerge everything but the air intake, even the exhaust, as long as it's only very briefly and you keep the revs up.

I would try to keep any crossing at knee depth or below (when seated).

I've hydrolocked my WR in a crossing that got stupid deep (didn't walk it first), and the WR quit running about the same time the water was washing over the top of the gas tank. Had to push it out, lift up the front end, drain the exhaust and airbox, pull the tank and plug, turn the engine over a few times, and then do a roadside oil change. It ran fine after that and once I got home I changed the oil and filter 3 more times.

All good now but that was a bit dicey.
Back to top Go down
FreckledAvenger

water crossings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: water crossings?   water crossings? EmptyWed May 02, 2012 7:58 pm

You may also need to pull off the header pipe to get rid of all the water - when I mine went for a swim I found water was getting back in the cylinder after I pulled the plug and turned it over (stand back by the way - the water rockets out at speed!). This was even after lifting the bike on its back wheel to remove the water from the exhaust. Something in the exhaust was stopping the water from escaping - I run a completely stock exhaust so others with aftermarket exhausts or who have removed the EXUP may find different ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

water crossings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: water crossings?   water crossings? Empty

Back to top Go down

water crossings?
Page 1 of 1