Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Flatland Racing Radiator Guard

Go down 
+5
cryptomundo
asaucier
picard
Matty
Akasy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Akasy

Flatland Racing Radiator Guard Empty
PostSubject: Flatland Racing Radiator Guard   Flatland Racing Radiator Guard EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 7:21 pm

Received and installed today. I think they run about $49. Well made heavy duty aluminum Flatland Racing Radiator Guard 61865 . Easy install with minimal tools and time. Took me about 30 minutes Flatland Racing Radiator Guard 645337 . Good but not great instructions. Looks like it will provide good protection--but I do wish they had made it about 2 inches longer to give coverage to the lower rad tank. You do have to permanently remove the front and rear stock black plastic guards but not a major effort. Virtually invisible after installation.
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Racing Radiator Guard   Flatland Racing Radiator Guard EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 11:57 pm

ya i wished i had that before last weekend. my damn radiator fan assembly is going to cost more than i was hoping. oh well. lesson learned.
Back to top Go down
picard

picard

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Racing Radiator Guard   Flatland Racing Radiator Guard EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 3:21 pm

I have them, too (and would not ride trails without one). However, one thing I noticed is increased hot air hitting my right leg. This is caused by the radiator shroud removal which is necessary to fit the rad guard. At times, depending on speed and crosswind, this gets uncomfortably hot.
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Racing Radiator Guard   Flatland Racing Radiator Guard EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 5:13 pm

picard wrote:
I have them, too (and would not ride trails without one). However, one thing I noticed is increased hot air hitting my right leg. This is caused by the radiator shroud removal which is necessary to fit the rad guard. At times, depending on speed and crosswind, this gets uncomfortably hot.

+1 but it has not been really a problem at least up to 90 out today. Of course I grew up riding sportsters with the oil tank under my right leg Flatland Racing Radiator Guard 640571
Back to top Go down
asaucier

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Racing Radiator Guard   Flatland Racing Radiator Guard EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 9:11 pm

I found the same thing. If I have shorts on for a ride it cooks my right leg now. I do feel safer having the rad guard on the trail. Know I wait for my hdb hand.
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Racing Radiator Guard   Flatland Racing Radiator Guard EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 7:18 am

I was thinking to break out my dremel and try to figure out how to fit a piece of the old plastic guard to fit back on .. providing some protection and redirecting the air .. I will probably look at that later today or tomorrow. I will let you know if it works out.

Back to top Go down
picard

picard

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Racing Radiator Guard   Flatland Racing Radiator Guard EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 10:21 am

Was thinking about the same thing. I think only the lower part is required to fix the issue. I cut the old shroud in half already and will probably fasten it to the rear brace of the rad guard somehow.
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Racing Radiator Guard   Flatland Racing Radiator Guard EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 7:48 pm

I trimmed mine up and put it on the bike today .. one bonus is I got the wire support back for the radiator fan. I cut just above the notch for the wire support, and trimmed everything else so that it covered as much as possible below the flatland guard. I used one bolt to connect the inside bottom left and on the outside I used a zip tie to hold it in place (connected to the bottom brace of the fan). Works for me!
Back to top Go down
acmebot

acmebot

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Racing Radiator Guard   Flatland Racing Radiator Guard EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 8:25 am

can you post a picture?
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Racing Radiator Guard   Flatland Racing Radiator Guard EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 11:41 pm

Flatland Racing Radiator Guard Img_0110

Flatland Racing Radiator Guard Img_0112

Flatland Racing Radiator Guard Img_0113
Back to top Go down
picard

picard

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Racing Radiator Guard   Flatland Racing Radiator Guard EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:54 am

excellent. Thanks much! Exactly what I was going to do.
Back to top Go down
NorCalWR

NorCalWR

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Racing Radiator Guard   Flatland Racing Radiator Guard EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 4:39 pm

So I got my Flatland skidplate and radiator guard yesterday and got the skidplate installed no problem, but the instructions for the radiator guard are not very clear. Am I supposed to take the rubber grommets out and not reuse them when I slip the guard in and replace the bolts and the nut?
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Racing Radiator Guard   Flatland Racing Radiator Guard EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 9:26 am

NorCalWR wrote:
So I got my Flatland skidplate and radiator guard yesterday and got the skidplate installed no problem, but the instructions for the radiator guard are not very clear. Am I supposed to take the rubber grommets out and not reuse them when I slip the guard in and replace the bolts and the nut?

I think you should leave in the grommets. Just replace the bolts.

I had the heat issue, too, until i took the shrouds off. Now i think the airflow is much better, the heat disperses better, & the protection is better. There is no need for the scoops, so i took them off!

Back to top Go down
NorCalWR

NorCalWR

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Racing Radiator Guard   Flatland Racing Radiator Guard EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 11:49 am

Thanks Rydnseek for the response. I will try it out.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Racing Radiator Guard   Flatland Racing Radiator Guard EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 11:38 am

Anyone know the weight of the radiator guard? I thought it had been discussed before but I can't seem to find it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Racing Radiator Guard   Flatland Racing Radiator Guard Empty

Back to top Go down

Flatland Racing Radiator Guard
Page 1 of 1