Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Exhaust Question

Go down 
+12
PYG RYDR
Mikechicago
deerHater
yellowredlight
Krabill
motokid
wildmotha
2goose
yz-moto
kjharn
Mr.Metal
Farmer17
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Farmer17

Farmer17

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 5:01 pm

I searched the forum but couldnt find exactly what i wanted to know so i figured i would ask it here. Does an aftermarket slipon exhaust for the wr have a negative effect on the low end torque? i was maybe considering getting one not doing the full mods (airbox, ais etc.) but before i got one i was wondering if it affected the bottom end because i dont want to lose that. also how are the hmf systems? i have read some on them and they seem good and they are cheaper than the fmf. thanks sam
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 5:52 pm

The following is just my semi-educated opinion, so take it with a grain of salt:

I believe that if you were to just put on an aftermarket muffler with no other modifications, you may in fact lose some bottom end power with this bike. I say that because you'd be getting rid of the EXUP in the stock muffler, which is meant to produce more low-end grunt (or so they say). I have no numbers to prove this, but it makes some sense to me.

Now, when you open up the intake and then reprogram the fuel map, you get very noticeable gains across the RPM range. A fully opened up bike (intake and exhaust) has way more bottom end grunt than a stock bike, and I'd be willing to bet that it has more bottom end than a bike with just an aftermarket muffler.

The intake mods are free. Getting rid of the EXUP is almost free (with the resistor mod). Getting rid of the AIS is very cheap (block-off plate from Krabil). The only expensive part is the programmer.

If I were you, I'd first drop the money on the programmer and then do all the free mods. Then, when you have more cash, get the exhaust to really bring the WR to life.
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 6:17 pm

I'll let you know wednesday. I did the AIS and airbox flapper mod and noticed more low-end torque.

Wednesday, a FMF fuel programmer comes in along with the FMF megabomb header, and PowerCore slip-on. I intend on taking it for a spin with just the header swapped, just the slip-on, then both and comparing the power.
Back to top Go down
Farmer17

Farmer17

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 8:11 pm

very interesting... my ultimate plan is to get the 290 big bore kit from athena and use the programmer that comes with that because i dont want to mess with any aftermarket programmers. once i do that i may look at getting a pipe and doing the airbox mods. i just dont want to buy an fmf programmer or anything because it is just another thing that can go wrong, and it sounds like it is rather tough to get the numbers right. i appreciate the input though, it seems there are many different opinions on this topic.
Back to top Go down
yz-moto

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 9:44 pm

I'll let you know on the HMF exhaust. I ordered the competition one last week so it should be in the next couple weeks.
Back to top Go down
Farmer17

Farmer17

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 1:37 pm

sounds good yz.
Back to top Go down
2goose

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 3:50 pm

A slip on on any engine will decrease bottom end. Period
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 4:33 pm

What is that statement based on?

2goose wrote:
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 7:03 pm

Does anyone have the new HMF Trimax exhaust yet?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 6:06 am

Farmer17 wrote:
i just dont want to buy an fmf programmer or anything because it is just another thing that can go wrong, and it sounds like it is rather tough to get the numbers right. i appreciate the input though, it seems there are many different opinions on this topic.

After cruising this forum for over a year, supermotojunkie, and thumpertalk and advrider I've not heard many, if any, complaints about efi programmers going "wrong" or being that difficult to "get right".

Unless you are the kind of guy that has to fiddle with things endlessly most are units you can simply set once and forget.

As for low end - look at gearing. The stock wr250 gearing sucks ballz in my opinion.

If you think your stock wr250 has good low end grunt now you should really enjoy a simple gearing change. thumb

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Krabill

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 12:06 pm

2goose wrote:

Wanna know how I know you don't have any idea what you're talking about?
Back to top Go down
yellowredlight

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 12:31 pm

Farmer17 wrote:
i just dont want to buy an fmf programmer or anything because it is just another thing that can go wrong, and it sounds like it is rather tough to get the numbers right. i appreciate the input though, it seems there are many different opinions on this topic.

go wrong? so running a pipe without one and having a lean, ill-running bike is rite???

a programmer with the pre-programmed settings in conjunction with a pipe makes a world of difference. i love my bike after these mods... not so much b4
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 12:35 pm

Because it's pretty clear he doesn't? Very happy

Krabill wrote:
2goose wrote:

Wanna know how I know you don't have any idea what you're talking about?
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 6:49 pm

kjharn wrote:
I'll let you know wednesday. I did the AIS and airbox flapper mod and noticed more low-end torque.

Wednesday, a FMF fuel programmer comes in along with the FMF megabomb header, and PowerCore slip-on. I intend on taking it for a spin with just the header swapped, just the slip-on, then both and comparing the power.

Put the Power Commander and the Powercore on today, and have noticed more pull throughout the rpm range already. I can pull the front wheel up on accident now. Will take video tomorrow, then do a comparison after installing the Megabomb header. Should be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Farmer17

Farmer17

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 6:34 pm

i wouldnt think the header would make that much difference would it?
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 6:50 pm

According to FMF, the header increases HP by up to 3 hp. We'll see though. Header should be here Monday, will provide a follow-up on Tuesday.

Specifically, the Megabomb has a huge expansion chamber, increasing airflow. The theory behind it makes sense, and my friends that have the header swear by it, although on different (carbeurated) bikes.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 8:47 pm

Sorry - but there is no fvcking way the header alone adds 3 hp to a bike that comes in stock at around 27 or 28hp.

A more than 10% increase from header alone??? I think not.

I would love to be proven wrong though.

It'll take some before and after dyno runs to convince me.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 9:08 pm

motokid wrote:
Sorry - but there is no fvcking way the header alone adds 3 hp to a bike that comes in stock at around 27 or 28hp.

A more than 10% increase from header alone??? I think not.

I would love to be proven wrong though.

It'll take some before and after dyno runs to convince me.

Don't shoot the messenger. poser2

Unfortunately I don't have a dyno at my disposal. For me I'll be judging it from how easy the front end pops up. Previously it was easiest to do it in second at 30 mph, now it has enough pull to do it at 23ish in second. No clutch. Primitive, but it works dunno
Back to top Go down
Krabill

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 11:04 am

Somebody ran it on a dyno a long time ago checking the changes of each mod and adding just the power bomb header at the end added an additional 1.5 hp if I remember right. Yeah, it's half of what FMF says it adds, but an additional 1.5 hp to a 27 hp bike ain't all that bad.
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 11:11 am

Krabill wrote:
Somebody ran it on a dyno a long time ago checking the changes of each mod and adding just the power bomb header at the end added an additional 1.5 hp if I remember right. Yeah, it's half of what FMF says it adds, but an additional 1.5 hp to a 27 hp bike ain't all that bad.

Has anyone done a dyno with the Megabomb? People say it adds even more than the Powerbomb, but I've never seen official numbers.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 11:52 am

I carried the wireless leash (pager) this week (24 x 7), and I'm getting shift premium for working this weekend. Time to 'exhaust' that extra earned pay! Very happy

I'm going to get an FMF Q4 and Megabomb. fmfracing wants US$ 360 + 275
Anybody recently find a better deal? deal

Last edited by deerHater on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 11:55 am

Powerbomb- http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/10/214/6492/24169/PITEM/FMF-PowerBomb-Stainless-Steel-Header-2009-Yamaha-WR250X-Parts.aspx
$179.99

Q4- http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/10/214/6903/23616/PITEM/FMF-Q4-Slip-On-Exhaust-2008-Yamaha-WR250R-Parts.aspx
$323.99

thumb
Back to top Go down
deerHater

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 12:53 pm

Thanks kjharn! The price you listed for the header seemed really good, until I realized I had written Powerbomb instead of Megabomb which I want. I corrected my mistake. Shog
Back to top Go down
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 12:58 pm

Q4 = $309
Megabomb = $192
Power Programmer = $197

this is where I got mine, I believe they are the best deal out there.

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/3024/PU/1821-0581/Yamaha_WR250F_07-10
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 12:59 pm

Still, $247.99- http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/10/214/28725/24169/PITEM/FMF-Megabomb-Stainless-Steel-Header-2009-Yamaha-WR250X-Parts.aspx

thumb Anything for a fellow WR rider.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Exhaust Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Question   Exhaust Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Exhaust Question
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next