Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
gatorfan

gatorfan

Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags  Empty
PostSubject: Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags    Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags  EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 8:18 am

How much difference do you think there is in handling characteristics between Saddle Bags and Tail Bags.
At what amount of weight do you suppose this becomes an issue?

** Note: There's already a thread with pics of set-ups. I'm interested in weight distribution, total weight and handling.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags    Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags  EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 11:20 am

gatorfan wrote:
How much difference do you think there is in handling characteristics between Saddle Bags and Tail Bags.
At what amount of weight do you suppose this becomes an issue?

** Note: There's already a thread with pics of set-ups. I'm interested in weight distribution, total weight and handling.
If you really worry about that, I suggest getting this:

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collections/giant-loop-gear-collection/products/coyote-saddlebag

Using that fully loaded and a 10 liter kayak bag for my tent, I did not notice any ill handling. I have the X and could still get up to indicated 125 kph with that (rider following me on BMW GS was pleasantly surprised I could pass on the WR thumb )
I did not notice any problems on the class 6 'road' either, but with pure street tires and no skid plate I was not pushing hard at all.

I did increase the rear spring preload to compensate, that's really important when you add weight.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags    Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags  EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 12:29 pm

Thanks deerHater. Indulge my OCD for a minute. Don't you think something like this stuffed with gear plus weight of gas/pack/rack would effect handling in technical situations? I love the organization of this but I have a habit of finding myself in nasty situations.

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/oh-those-sweet-mods-f5/another-wr250r-rear-rack-designed-with-options-t2222.htm
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags    Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags  EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 3:50 pm

Those racks look nice, neat, and tidy. But I like having the load lower if possible, and closer to the front.

I have the Yamaha rack and like the way at its front it attaches to the muffler support/hanger on the right, and to where the helmet lock attaches on the left. That makes the rack's front attachment points much further forward than most of the others racks I've seen.

However, the top of the Yamaha rack is not good. I leave the silly thin top plate off, and then the 2 hooks at the back of the Coyote bag attach nicely to the front of the rack. Then I use the rack's 4 load attachment points to pass through 2 nylon straps (do NOT use bungy cords on anything except smoooooth roads) that then cross over the kayak bag, and then cinch the straps very tight.

This setup, along with the Cayote bag's external load-tightening straps, makes a very, very secure load. However, access to stuff in the load during a ride is NOT quick and easy.

That's all IMHO. Maybe I worry too much about a high heavy far-back load, but some times I need to carry a few beer too. I'd hate to lose/damage that cargo. dutch

Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags    Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags  EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 5:32 pm

I've tried several different setups, from a large 12x24 duffel strapped to the tail rack to dirt bagz scouts (with and without a tail bag and/or stuff strapped to the rack)to my current combination setup of wolfman enduro saddle bags with a Kriega US-20 tail bag. I'm not a fan of the Giant Loops for whatever reason, just being curmudgeonly I guess.

You do notice weight on the rear rack more than you do in saddle bags in all situations. The bike will fall into a turn faster with a load and feels less flickable and more top heavy (shocking I know!). It really becomes noticeable if you add more than 10-15 pounds on the rear rack, whereas saddle bags only really start affecting the ride and handling at twice that weight in my experience.

The best thing I've found to make my luggage affect my handling less is to pack less weight. Get a lightweight sleeping bag. Leave the circus tent at home in favor of a small 1-person or 2-person tent. Leave the two burner coleman propane grill and full kitchen cookset at home and use an alcohol stove with a simple aluminum pot and a spork to eat with. Etc etc etc...
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags    Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags  EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks for those numbers Skierd - they seem reasonable. I'm a long time backpacker so I know the weight adds up quick.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags    Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags  EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 7:27 pm

Skierd: Those Krieger bags are sweet. If you get a chance can you post a pic with the WR with a Krieger-20 tail bag on?
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags    Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags  EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 7:44 pm

Sure

Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags  Kriegaus20msrs
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags    Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags  EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 9:05 pm

Thanks again Skierd. I'm gonna order the US-10. Are those MSR bottles filled with Gasoline?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags    Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags  Empty

Back to top Go down

Handling With Saddle Bags vs. Tail Bags
Page 1 of 1