Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Big-assed tail bags.

Go down 
+4
skierd
Crawdaddy
eakins
Jäger
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Big-assed tail bags. Empty
PostSubject: Big-assed tail bags.   Big-assed tail bags. EmptyTue Jun 02, 2009 2:41 pm

So what are guys using for big tail bags when you aren't quite to the point of needing saddlebags?

Anyone using the Gears Navigator Tail Bag? And if you are, how well does it fit and did you need a rack for it?

Gears Canada Big-assed Tail Bag

Big-assed tail bags. 0000_Gears_Navigator_Tail_Bag_Black_633656302099707648

Big-assed tail bags. 1001791
Back to top Go down
eakins

PostSubject: Re: Big-assed tail bags.   Big-assed tail bags. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 2:24 am

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collections/giant-loop-gear-collection/products/coyote-saddlebag
more $ but more off-road/bomberproff focused.
waterproof w/o a cover.

that tailbag is a good deal for $100 though.
Back to top Go down
Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

PostSubject: Saddlebags first THEN big ass tailbag if/when needed......   Big-assed tail bags. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 1:36 pm

Jäger wrote:
So what are guys using for big tail bags when you aren't quite to the point of needing saddlebags?
I'd suggest STARTING with big saddlebags THEN supplementing with a tailbag of some sort if you can't fit all your crap in the saddlebags.......just my $.02.......allows you to carry weight lower and easier to get on/off the bike......I can put a boatload of stuff in my Ortlieb saddlebags.......as long as I'm not camping I don't need a large duffle in the back.......Wolfman Peak tailbag is fine......different equation if I needed to pack a tent/sleeping bag/etc.....I suppose the Giant loop might allow you to stuff the sides and keep the rear end low to the bike?.......I don't know, I don't own one.....
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Big-assed tail bags.   Big-assed tail bags. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 3:27 pm

I took two decently long trips on my WRR, one with just saddle bags:
Big-assed tail bags. Pib004

and one with bags and a top bag (as seen next to HF's bike)
Big-assed tail bags. 1010

and my last ride with a 12x12x24 duffel strapped to the rear rack (pic later, don't have it uploaded yet and its not on this computer).

By far the most manageable setup, for me, was the saddle bags alone. The top bag made it a minor to major PITA to remount the bike, depending on how I got off (dropped on a hill, at a gas/food/piss stop, how tired I was, etc) and involved kicking a leg up onto the seat and sliding over instead of swinging a leg over. A the same time, the big duffel strapped to the back was fairly convenient for packing and unloading the bike, two clips and everything's off. I did notice how much taller the bike felt with the extra weight up high however...

Now that I get to do it again, I'm going with dirtbagz rangers and making my gear fit in those plus a tank bag (might spring for the larger explorer lite). As a bonus that setup will give me a nice place to mount a 1gal rotopax for long trips. I'll still use the duffel for transporting larger items, going to costco, etc but for travel I'm happier w/o a big tail bag.
Back to top Go down
oh2RideMore

PostSubject: Re: Big-assed tail bags.   Big-assed tail bags. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 8:43 pm

I was also worried about a tail bag making it near impossible to swing a leg over bike. I have practiced a couple of times without the bag, but wont know until I mount rack and bag.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Big-assed tail bags.   Big-assed tail bags. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 10:18 pm

Ok, here's the last setup I used. Walmart "medium" duffel bag, 12x12x24".

Big-assed tail bags. Bigtailbag

It was convenient and c h e a p, about $20. Easy to pack, not as easy to get at stuff on the road, makes a nice back rest, and the bike is still balanced but it just feels so tall on the road.

Unless you're a giant, you aren't swinging a leg over with a top bag imo.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Big-assed tail bags.   Big-assed tail bags. EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 12:50 am

Whoooohooooo..... Y'all gots a lotsa junk in da trunk ! Big-assed tail bags. 851577

Yea... I know. You showed me yours. I'm getting there. Big-assed tail bags. Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Big-assed tail bags.   Big-assed tail bags. EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 10:58 am

Literally half of that is the synthetic 20* bag I bought for the trip, and there's a 20x78x1.5" self inflating pad in there too. Very happy Both of which are going away for something else yet again. poser2
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Big-assed tail bags.   Big-assed tail bags. EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 11:48 am

Quote :
Skierd: Unless you're a giant, you aren't swinging a leg over with a top bag imo.

An option might be to run up from behind the bike and mount it like the Lone Ranger mounts "Trigger".

I think that setup puts the CG about your belly button. ...which definitely reduces the canyon carving capability. Big-assed tail bags. 93746
Back to top Go down
Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

PostSubject: Re: Big-assed tail bags.   Big-assed tail bags. EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 12:21 pm

skierd wrote:
I'll still use the duffel for transporting larger items, going to costco, etc but for travel I'm happier w/o a big tail bag.
Agreed

Here's a photo of the WR250R taken along Mojave Rd. sporting my Ortlieb saddlebags (before I got rid of the stock rear taillight/license plate set-up) ......the Ortliebs are huge and waterproof.......I rode from Denver to San Diego with these bags and had plenty of room to spare.......also used'em to circle the Grand Canyon last Oct........if these bags aren't big enough for your ~week long trip you're probably packlng too much "stuff" (though it should be noted that I was NOT camping on either of those trips....I just carried emergency pancho/space blanket/snack bars/water/etc......if I was camping I'd have to strap the tent/bag across the top)

Big-assed tail bags. BH6

Link to Ortlieb: http://www.ortlieb.com/index_white.php?lang=en&file=p-search.php
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Big-assed tail bags.   Big-assed tail bags. EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 3:04 pm

skierd wrote:
Unless you're a giant, you aren't swinging a leg over with a top bag imo.
I already have to stand on a peg to swing my leg over - unless I really stretch and give my leg a good swing to mount up normally. I can clear the tail bag standing on a peg - makes my 30" inseam suddenly a 40" inseam or whatever.
Back to top Go down
martinabbi

PostSubject: Re: Big-assed tail bags.   Big-assed tail bags. EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 3:27 am

Nice way to carry luggage man...i have some of these soft cases pouches taken from south-pak
custom cases
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: My set up   Big-assed tail bags. EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 11:51 pm

Ok, here is my set up. Works very nicely.

Big-assed tail bags. JAn%202011%20EAst%20Texas%20014

I have the Wolfman side racks. I have 30 liter water proof duffle bags that strap to the side racks. The duffles are side opening (not the end) with a roll down closure. Side opening makes them easy to pack and find stuff when they are full.

Th etail bag is an old tail bag I had laying around. Bolted it to a cutting board tail rack.

Tank bag is the Wolfman Explorer Lite.

I like this setup. Enough room for camping. Keeps the weight low.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big-assed tail bags.   Big-assed tail bags. Empty

Back to top Go down

Big-assed tail bags.
Page 1 of 1