Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Tail bags and racks, and stuff

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sr1

Tail bags and racks, and stuff Empty
PostSubject: Tail bags and racks, and stuff   Tail bags and racks, and stuff EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 6:20 am

Guys, as you know I'm geographically separated from my bike so I have to order ahead of time and then when I'm home on vacation it's a wrenching party every time. I'm basically converting my WR250X to an R with some long-distance DS stuff in mind, and trying to get my luggage sorted.

I already have a Giant Loop Coyote, which will be my primary luggage item.

I'm not sure whether I should get the GYTR tail rack, or the Wolfman Enduro Tool Kit, to go behind the Coyote. Can both fit (and not one atop another, but in line?) I'd like to use the tool kit for (duh) tools, but don't really have solid plans for the rack, though I bet I'll find uses.

BTW, will have tubes and tire tools in a front fender bag.

Open to your thoughts before I start ordering things. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Tail bags and racks, and stuff   Tail bags and racks, and stuff EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 7:39 pm

I have the Coyote and like it a whole bunch. I also have a rear rack and like it a whole bunch - in fact, I'm not at all open to the idea of NOT having a rear rack.

The GL is compatible with the a rack. A rack can be used without a GL, if you only need a few things for the ride you intend i.e. less luggage than throwing those few things in the bottom of the GL. And, a rack will allow you to use the GL in conjunction with on OverBoard dry bag or North Face camp duffel, either of which go about 40 litres, about 20" wide x 12" high & deep, completely waterproof, quite collapsible in size, etc. Or carry a small fuel bladder or other fuel container. A tool roll will go inside a GL or a dry bag, or whatever. And a tail rack (like mine anyways) provides a nice place to grab the tail of the bike to haul it out of a hole or back on the road or whatever.

I like big bags that will collapse small to no bigger than necessary - like the GL or any of the above. Better to have and not need, than need and not have, and collapsible luggage that will compress down to minimum size suits that very well.

Different strokes for different folks.
Back to top Go down
sr1

PostSubject: Re: Tail bags and racks, and stuff   Tail bags and racks, and stuff EmptySun May 01, 2011 5:57 am

Thanks for the info.

What about the tool bag, will it fit behind the GYTR rack? OR, is that too much weight too far back, causing a light-ish front end (not just the weight of the tool bag of course, but combined weight)? Trying to figure out where to put my dang tools. I really like that Wolfman Enduro toolbag, but where...
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Tail bags and racks, and stuff   Tail bags and racks, and stuff EmptySun May 01, 2011 3:57 pm

Your tool roll might put too much weight too far back?

Dude, what do you have in your tool roll?

My theory is the bike had two-up in mind while being designed, even if they knew that scenario wasn't likely to happen so often. And, unless you're carrying a LOT of weight to the back and really givin' er, it won't be a big deal.

Your Giant Loop is going to carry most of the weight low and just a few inches behind your ass and legs. Not a lot of difference on the bike to you simply being that much heavier as a rider on bike minus the luggage.

You'll look long and hard before finding any posts here or over on ADV with some guy saying "my Giant Loop has caused my bike to be light in the front end".

You're probably worrying about a solution to a nonexistent problem. There are tank saddlebags available if you are concerned about weight distribution.
Back to top Go down
sr1

PostSubject: Re: Tail bags and racks, and stuff   Tail bags and racks, and stuff EmptyMon May 02, 2011 2:01 am

Same thing you carry in yours! Gold and platinum, right?

Hmm, you have a point, ya just hear about guys (in particular the guy with the big windscreen) that got headshake on his WR. I think a lot of it had to do with the "sail" he made out of those bags, as well (they were not Giant Loop and were stacked like pillows), also maybe his windscreen had an affect. I intend to keep all my luggage low. I just don't have a desire for tank panniers at all puke so I won't be able to distribute the weight a great deal.
Back to top Go down
sr1

PostSubject: Re: Tail bags and racks, and stuff   Tail bags and racks, and stuff EmptyMon May 02, 2011 2:21 am

Jäger wrote:

I like big bags that will collapse small to no bigger than necessary - like the GL or any of the above. Better to have and not need, than need and not have, and collapsible luggage that will compress down to minimum size suits that very well.

Oh, and on this, I 100% agree. I packed my Coyote into traveling luggage and took it to Cambodia and back for a dirtbike trip. Worked great.
Back to top Go down
Rule292

Rule292

PostSubject: Re: Tail bags and racks, and stuff   Tail bags and racks, and stuff EmptyTue May 03, 2011 5:46 pm

Gents,

Since you're both coyote owners, real world speaking, how "big" are each of the "legs" of the coyote bag?

I see the dimensions on the GL website, but what are they like in person?

I might occasionally have the need to stuff a laptop in a bag on the bike and I'm trying to decide between a GL coyote or a set of Wolfman dry bags....

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tail bags and racks, and stuff   Tail bags and racks, and stuff Empty

Back to top Go down

Tail bags and racks, and stuff
Page 1 of 1