Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Good GPS for saving trails, and recalling saved trails??

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
john92

Good GPS for saving trails, and recalling saved trails?? Empty
PostSubject: Good GPS for saving trails, and recalling saved trails??   Good GPS for saving trails, and recalling saved trails?? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 9:48 am

I have been thinking lately that it would be cool to get a gps that could save trails, print them out, re-call them and ride them again later. Does anyone on here know alot about this stuff? There is alot of info on ADV but it's a little overwhelming to me. If I have to save up the big bucks to get what I want, I would. But if there's cheap solutions that will do the same, I'd go with that. I just don't want to pay for a bunch of bells and whistles if I don't need to. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Good GPS for saving trails, and recalling saved trails??   Good GPS for saving trails, and recalling saved trails?? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 11:17 am

john92 wrote:
I have been thinking lately that it would be cool to get a gps that could save trails, print them out, re-call them and ride them again later. Does anyone on here know alot about this stuff? There is alot of info on ADV but it's a little overwhelming to me. If I have to save up the big bucks to get what I want, I would. But if there's cheap solutions that will do the same, I'd go with that. I just don't want to pay for a bunch of bells and whistles if I don't need to. Thanks.
It depends on what you think "bells and whistles" are.

What you may think to be pointless somebody else may think to be well worth the money. You can buy a really low end Garmin eTrex for less than $100 that will do exactly what you describe above and not really one thing more. The topographic mapping software from Garmin so you can print those maps and trails is going to cost you more than the GPS is going to if you go that route.

Or, you could buy something along the lines of what I use, which is a Garmin Rino 530 HCx. It has the maps of about half of the US and Canada installed in it - not because I need every one of them, but because it has the room to do it and I don't have to load and unload maps all the time. It has built in GMRS and FRS radio, allowing me to communicate with others, poll others for their location, send messages, etc. It has built in weather radio - nice to have on multiday trips way up in the mountains (although you don't always get reception in the valleys).

They all function in the same fashion, and the difference in antennas is not enormous among current models, no matter what manufacturers say (delete long explanation of the difference between CEP, RMS, and two sigma when discussing accuracy here).

I stick a GPS in my pocket every time I head out, including areas I know like the back of my hand. A GPS is a tool with far more uses than simply getting out from being geographically confused - i.e. geocoding photographs for guys like me who do a lot of photography.

I consider the money I spent on my Rino to be money very well spent indeed. If I destroyed it tomorrow, I would own another Rino 530 before the end of the day.

You simply need to decide what you would and wouldn't use a GPS for. Going with the lowest common denominator is not necessarily the best choice for a purchase.
Back to top Go down
dc4stroke

dc4stroke

PostSubject: Re: Good GPS for saving trails, and recalling saved trails??   Good GPS for saving trails, and recalling saved trails?? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:15 pm

What you need there sonny is the JEEWISS Model 1800......The finest thing on the market today. $19.95

Don't pay any attention to me...... Reread the prior post.

I'm just in a mood.....Just got back from the Doc's office and he is letting me start to put full weight on this leg......... YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
I'll be back in the saddle in no time. I never expected to be wasting a perfectly good summer on crutches.
I go back in 6 weeks for what hopefully will be my final exam. The plan is to ride to it. Actually I plan on sneaking away in four weeks to attend Bikes Blues and BBQ in Fayetteville, AR. I may need to ride the Hawk to that since it's lighter than the Harley and shorter than the WR.
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: Good GPS for saving trails, and recalling saved trails??   Good GPS for saving trails, and recalling saved trails?? EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 8:16 pm

Update: I decide to get something a little nicer than the JEEWISS 1800. I purchased a Garmin Oregon 550 in NOV. I've only used it a couple times but I like it. I thought it would be cool to snap a pic of something and be able to navigate back to it later. So much for not spending alot and minimal bells and whistles. Very happy It does keep a very detailed track log of where I've been though. It's a fancy little unit. There's alot of cool things that can be done with it. The biggest downfall is the USB power plug like the 62 series has.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Good GPS for saving trails, and recalling saved trails??   Good GPS for saving trails, and recalling saved trails?? EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 5:05 am

john92 wrote:
Update: I decide to get something a little nicer than the JEEWISS 1800. I purchased a Garmin Oregon 550 in NOV. I've only used it a couple times but I like it. I thought it would be cool to snap a pic of something and be able to navigate back to it later. So much for not spending alot and minimal bells and whistles.
Yes, you did go a little overboard, didn't you?

I'm not crazy about the Oregon for a few reasons, but it is proving to be a very popular GPS with a lot of people. GPS units like these are increasingly becoming almost PDAs.

Good GPS for saving trails, and recalling saved trails?? Photo

Integrated 3.5G cellular data and voice call capability, 2-5 meter GPS receiver, 3MP camera, Bluetooth, Wireless LAN and Windows Mobile 6.1 operating system. Built in hard drive, load whatever orthophotos or shapefiles you want as backdrop mapping, lots of stuff...

There are various ways to geocode your photos without buying something like a GPS with built in camera. There are assorted programs that match your camera image's date stamp with the GPS position that most closest matches that date stamp. The utility writes the location coordinates into the photo's EXIF file. Alternately, there is the non-tech version - you take your picture and then immediately take a picture of your GPS unit with the coordinates on display... I do that when I am only taking one or two photos and can't be bothered setting up geocoding when I get home.

Quote :
The biggest downfall is the USB power plug like the 62 series has.
I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle about that.

Planning to have your power outlet at the front of your bike or the back? Either way, run the outlet into your tank bag or your tail bag, and put your charger in there with your next set of batteries charging if simply carrying spares isn't enough for you. Unless you never crash or ride through brush, NOT having a cable running into a teeny little receptacle is not a bad thing. I've caught GPS cables with barrel connectors - far more skookum cables leading into far more skookum plugins - and had that result to damage to the cable and/or connector and/or plugin. Not to mention catching those cables resulting in ripping GPS units out of holders at speed with them dragging along the ground after getting caught. Which is why the professional GPS market is going to wireless connections (not all connections/cables are for power supply).

I can plug my GPS into a power connector, and I don't do it. I mount the GPS clean in a mount, no cables sticking out to catch passing objects or get in the way. The bike power lead tucks into the upper corner of my tank bag - there's only a few inches exposed, and it's masked by being at the front of the tank and behind and below the bars. If I need charging capability rather than simply having a spare battery pack, that lead goes to the charging cable with battery attached.

No cables sticking out to wreak havoc if snagged - works for me.

Might not be the solution you would prefer, but there's good reasons for doing it that way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good GPS for saving trails, and recalling saved trails??   Good GPS for saving trails, and recalling saved trails?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Good GPS for saving trails, and recalling saved trails??
Page 1 of 1