Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

First GoPro test vid

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mtb

mtb

First GoPro test vid - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 10:29 am

Yes to the neck...

as for the bed... that was done on purpose... at least you can tell it's on the bed wink

riding the X is already brave enough... I believe we have less than 10 Xs running around the whole of Singapore
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 8:13 pm

MTB I HIJACK UR THREAD!!! wink I got me a Hero Wide this morning. thumb Have to wait for it to stop snowing before I head up the hill and test it out.

mtb

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 9:32 pm

You are welcome wink

Now put that Hero Wide somewhere and do the chainsaw trick Shog Shog Shog
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 9:39 pm

OH! I got to see that! Does she juggle them?
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 9:47 pm

No idea my friend... I guess we just have to sit back and wait for it wink
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 10:18 pm

mwakey wrote:

They juggle all on their own, you wiener. poser2 thumb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 10:23 pm

Wiener is German for Viennese, but may also refer to:

• A hot dog, from German "Wiener Würstchen", meaning "Viennese small sausage"
  • A slang term for penis
  • A pejorative term to describe a human who is notorious for acting foolish
So which? poser2
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 10:35 pm

Well, now that you put it THAT way....anyone bring the ketchup? wink

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 10:43 pm

A quote from one of my favorite movies...

"NOBODY..... I REPEAT...... NOBODY puts ketchup on a hot dog" ~ Dirty Harry
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 10:46 pm

SheWolf wrote:
mwakey wrote:

They juggle all on their own, you wiener. poser2 thumb

I said juggle not jiggle. We already knew about the jiggle. Very happy
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 9:13 am

Finally I went to the local track with my X...

Ya I am freaking slow... I can't help it... Shog It is the first time bannana

Back to top Go down
WeaveR

WeaveR

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 10:04 am

the sand on the track made you take it easy First GoPro test vid - Page 2 Wink
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 10:44 am

You must have the volume set on low, too. Can just barely hear the bike. thumb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 11:01 am

Thank you Weaver.. you make me feel better wink

Wolfie... yes I did... but actually the vibration isn't that bad.... perhaps I should try to set it to HI and see the effect
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 6:57 pm

I have found that the volume needs to be on high when the cam is mounted to your helmet. If you mount the camera to the bike you can set it on low. The sound of the engine is better heard this way.
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 8:44 am

Mark, do you have the sound distortion too? I mean those noises which you can head when you crank the volume up
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 9:36 am

Well to be honest I have only done about three videos on the bike. The first two were with the volume on low and the cam mounted on the front master cylinder. The sound was great and no distortion. I did one other video with the helmet mount and the volume on low and you could hardly hear anything. The underwater videos I did of the lobster was with the volume on high and you could hear very well but it also produces a lot of loud clicking noises when I was moving the pole around that I had the camera mounted to. Go Pro says to have the volume on low for high vibration shooting and volume on high for other situations where there is no shock to the cam. I am finishing up my new camera mount for the bike today and will do some test rides with the volume on high and low.

I noticed on one of your videos of your friend in the red leathers on the track that it made a lot of loud clicking noises. How did you have the cam mounted on his bike and what volume level was it set at? Those type of clicking noises are the only complaint I have. I don't consider that distortion per say. More like shock from the mount being too "solid". In other words the mount doesn't have any cushion and it amplifies every little bump or knock when the volume is set to high.

I'm really not much concerned with the sound quality when using it on the bike right now. My plan is to get enough good footage and then I will add some music as the audio track and just use the video from the Go Pro. You can only take so much engine noise from watching one of those videos before it gets boring. A music audio track would be more enjoyable to watch IMO.
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 9:49 am

Yes... it's the CLICKING that I was referring to.... it just slipped my mind Shog

I mounted the camera with the suction cup to his shroud... and I had the lanyard attached, just in case...

I think the majority of the clicking sound from that particular vid comes from the lanyard as it has a metal clip... It was set to low

Do you experience those irregular noises I have in my riding vid at around 8-10 sec mark? Those I-don't-know-how-to-describe noises? Very happy
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 10:13 am

Love to see the new mounting system Mark...when you have it all done up. thumb

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 8:57 pm

I'll answer both of you, but ladies first. Here are some pics of my new setup. It was damn near dark outside so forgive the crappy pics. I tried to lighten up the last two shots with the camera settings but my hand must have been shakey...

First GoPro test vid - Page 2 GoProGPSMount1

First GoPro test vid - Page 2 GoProGPSMount4

First GoPro test vid - Page 2 GoProGPSMount6

This is the TechMount Control Mount I got the other day. It mounts using the front brake perch bolts (you can see them in the first pic). A very nice piece and fully adjustable. You can mount just about anything on the top plate. Then I got a RAM cradle for my Garmin Nuvi and bolted it to the TechMount plate. I know the Nuvi is not really for motorcycles and is not waterproof but I will only use it for those dry days. I already had the Nuvi before I bought the WR and was not about to spend money on another GPS just for the bike. The cradle is super strong and holds the Nuvi very well. No problem there.

I mounted the GoPro with the arms from the suction cup mount. They are a much stronger plastic than the other cheap stuff that comes with the GoPro Motorsports kit. Most of those have already broke after only a few uses. So I bolted the suction cup arm to the top plate of the TechMount. It does look good and is a compact little setup, but I am not so sure I will keep it like this after my test ride this afternoon. I think the GPS must interfere with the microphone on the camera. I got some annoying static and what sounds like bad hammonics (maybe from vibration?). The audio was nothing like the mount I had before on the front of the master cylinder (page 1 of this thread). Using the GoPro cheap plastic mounts stuck on the front of the master cylinder produced fairly good audio with the camera volume set to LO. The engine sound was there and it was great. Now with this new setup, I think I may be getting a little more vibration to the camera because of all the arms and dod-dads of the new mount. The video is just a wee bit shakey but not really bad. I could live with the video. The audio is another thing. I should have tried a test video with the GPS off, but I didn't think of it at the time. I really think the GPS was interferring with the mic on the GoPro since they are mounted so close together.

I did a few test videos. One with the volume on HI and one on LO. You definately DO NOT want to use the HI setting when you have the camera mounted on the bike. The distortion is unbearable! Use the HI setting with the helmet mount instead. The LO setting works better when the camera is mounted to the bike. I was getting some of that clicking noise once in a while at lower speeds, but once you got into a cruise mode it went away. I'll try to post up a few short clips of my ride so you can see what I'm talking about.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 12:13 am

Not the most exciting videos, but it gives you an idea of the volume differences.

This is with the GPS on and the GoPro volume set to LO

This is the same only with the volume set to HI
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 12:50 am

mwakey wrote:
Not the most exciting videos, but it gives you an idea of the volume differences.

This is with the GPS on and the GoPro volume set to LO

This is the same only with the volume set to HI

I heard the clicking in low....

The HI was terrible!!! ewwww...... but at least there's a noticeable difference in the settings Very happy
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 2:02 am

I read a lot about this camera before I bought it and one of the cons was the lousy audio. I agree it's not the best, but for the money you can't expect perfection. Higher priced cams get you higher quality audio. I just wanted something cheap and simple and decent quality video. Plus I really like the fisheye lense and the underwater case makes it waterproof. Great for a bike.

Eventually I will collect enough good ride footage to add a music soundtrack.
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 2:36 am

mwakey wrote:

Eventually I will collect enough good ride footage to add a music soundtrack.

Will I see you with a chainsaw in the MTV? wink
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 8:26 am

You better talk to SheWolf about the chainsaws and TV appearances. She's the movie star around here now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First GoPro test vid   First GoPro test vid - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

First GoPro test vid
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next