Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Is the WR250R 50 State Legal

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TwoWheelsGood

Is the WR250R 50 State Legal Empty
PostSubject: Is the WR250R 50 State Legal   Is the WR250R 50 State Legal EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi,

I'm looking at a WR250R in CA that's registered and titled in Oregon. It will need to pass a CA emissions inspection, or at least have the right stuff on the bike, to pass and be registered in California.

Does anyone know if a non-CA RR is CA legal? Is there a specific digit on the VIN I should look for? Smog canister or something?

Thanks in advance!

Rich
Back to top Go down
NorCalWR

NorCalWR

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250R 50 State Legal   Is the WR250R 50 State Legal EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

I'm not sure if you have to have all the smog equipment that would have come stock on a CA bike but you will have to show DMV the sticker on the bike that shows it conforms to all the smog laws. My Uncle bought a used 08 KTM 530 EXCR out of New Mexico and the sticker was under the fuel tank on the frame, so he took the tank off then I had my father-in-law who is a cop see the sticker and then sign off on the inspection form from DMV. Not sure about the WR and if it has this sticker or not but maybe someone else knows more about this than I do.
Back to top Go down
TwoWheelsGood

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250R 50 State Legal   Is the WR250R 50 State Legal EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 4:52 pm

NorCalWR wrote:
I'm not sure if you have to have all the smog equipment that would have come stock on a CA bike but you will have to show DMV the sticker on the bike that shows it conforms to all the smog laws. My Uncle bought a used 08 KTM 530 EXCR out of New Mexico and the sticker was under the fuel tank on the frame, so he took the tank off then I had my father-in-law who is a cop see the sticker and then sign off on the inspection form from DMV. Not sure about the WR and if it has this sticker or not but maybe someone else knows more about this than I do.

Thanks for your response. It turns out that the larger issue is that the bike has very low miles and you only able to "import" a bike into CA if it has over 7500mi. Or at least is crazy complicated and/or expensive. Not worth the time or expense, in this case.
Back to top Go down
NorCalWR

NorCalWR

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250R 50 State Legal   Is the WR250R 50 State Legal EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 5:12 pm

I believe that the 7500mi thing is regarding the sales tax. If it has under that amount of mileage then you have to pay the full amount of sales tax as if it were a new bike. If it is over that amount the seller can write on the pink slip that they sold it to you for $500 and you would only end up paying around $30 is sales tax then the registration and license fees.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250R 50 State Legal   Is the WR250R 50 State Legal Empty

Back to top Go down

Is the WR250R 50 State Legal
Page 1 of 1