Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Methods for Carrying Extra Gas

Go down 
+9
BluePill
taoshum
Captain Midnight
gatorfan
john92
mattf
skierd
Boondocker
granite4brains
13 posters
AuthorMessage
granite4brains

granite4brains

Methods for Carrying Extra Gas Empty
PostSubject: Methods for Carrying Extra Gas   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 1:09 pm

I'd be curious to hear what other folks are doing for this, from potable bottles, to rear racks, to .....

I can't make up my mind on a solution. I like the rotopax, but with the cost of those and the necessary rear rack, it adds up.

Some sort of portable can/bottle sounds nice, more economical too. But if you already have 100 oz of water in your pack, the weight starts to add up.

hmmmm .... scratch
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: Rotopax fans check in here   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 4:31 pm

This link covers the Rotopax 1 gallon gas can mounted on a tail rack. Basically, I think every other option for carrying gasoline is not as good with the exception of the 2-gallon Rotopax on a side rack. There are cheaper options, wouldn't seriously call them solutions, but none better.

Last month, when I rode from Las Vegas to Ridgecrest via Goler Canyon, Death Valley, (ADV Ride Report) I was very happy to have both the 3.5 gallon Safari Tank and the 1 gallon Rotopax. They survived the pounding and tip-overs without damage, leaking, or coming loose. This is what I call a gasoline solution for 200+ mile desert rides. These units have earned their keep.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Carrying Extra Gas   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 8:29 pm

MSR bottles on a Kriega

Methods for Carrying Extra Gas Kriegaus20msrs

Rotopax 2gal carrier
Methods for Carrying Extra Gas 1425
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Carrying Extra Gas   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 9:17 pm

I put two small bottles in my tank bag if I think I might need any extra, will only get me about 10 more miles I figure but that could make the difference of a long walk or riding all the way back. I really don't push it though, it's more for in case I get lost a little.
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Carrying Extra Gas   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 9:26 pm

Have you considered just getting a bigger gas tank??
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Carrying Extra Gas   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 10:59 pm

thanks guys.

I didn't even think of the MSR bottles. I have several of those from backpacking/climbing.

boondock, the rotopax does look real nice. Great photos and trip report from your ride - I enjoyed looking through those. btw, that's panamint valley that Goler Canyon dropped you into, not Saline Valley.

John, I will have a bigger gas tank - still not enough for some of the rides I am thinking of.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Carrying Extra Gas   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 1:33 am

A 1.5 gal Kolpin Fuel Pack has worked well for me. Since my fuel light typically comes on at around 1.5 gallons used, it conveniently fills my tank back to the top. A must have to get me to my fishing spot and back...

Methods for Carrying Extra Gas Wr250r11
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Carrying Extra Gas   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 2:15 am

FWIW I have the IMS 3gal now and would still take the MSR bottles on a long ride. Never can have too much gas, if anything it'll get the fire going at night.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Carrying Extra Gas   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 10:25 pm

No original ideas in what I'm saying, but I went with the IMS 3.1 gallon tank and a 1 gallon rotopax on the tail rack.

Pics of the rotopax on tail rack over here:

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/oh-those-sweet-mods-f5/rotopax-1-gallon-on-pro-moto-billet-tail-rack-with-lock-t3136.htm
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Carrying Extra Gas   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 11:01 pm

Automotive Machines Tri-Square rack with Rotopax

Methods for Carrying Extra Gas Rack_i10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Carrying Extra Gas   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 11:11 pm

Gatorfan,

That's very cool! How do ya' like the lock?

-feet
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Carrying Extra Gas   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 2:21 pm

BigFeet wrote:
Gatorfan,

That's very cool! How do ya' like the lock?

-feet

Mixed.

+ Peace of mind when bike is parked out of site.
- Bag on top of can does not sit well.

Lock itself works easily and well though.
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Carrying Extra Gas   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 9:09 pm

I'm building a 6 gallon tank.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Carrying Extra Gas   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 8:30 pm

Just make sure that you ride with other riders that have extra gas, like a KLR650. Offer to buy the beer in exchange for enough gas to get to the destination if you run out. Make sure you have a 3 gallon tank to start with, which will get you 180 miles or so, then if you actually run out of gas... the KLR will still have at least 2 gallons.

Or carry a 20oz MSR bottle, that would get you to 200 miles. If you can't plan a route to hit a gas station within 200 miles you probably need to do more planning... or stash some gas ahead of time at a strategic location.

BTW: even places that don't have retail gas pumps often have a gallon or two around somewhere for a mower and will sell you a gallon if you are polite.

Once we drained all the remaining gas from all the bikes into one bike and sent that one ahead to bring some gas back for the rest of us. It was about 20 miles further and 3 out of 5 bikes were just about dry. worked out ok.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Carrying Extra Gas   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 12:58 am

The steal gas from everyone else technique doesn't work too well if you're riding alone. Also, a single MSR bottle is not going to give you an extra 80 miles of range, its ~15 miles with the way most of us ride. I carry two to have an extra half gallon.

But, +1 on being able to find gas somewhere. Don't forget farms and ranches out west either, many of them have gasoline delivered directly to them and you might be able to bum a gallon or so to get back to civilization.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Carrying Extra Gas   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 2:51 am

skierd wrote:
The steal gas from everyone else technique doesn't work too well if you're riding alone. Also, a single MSR bottle is not going to give you an extra 80 miles of range, its ~15 miles with the way most of us ride. I carry two to have an extra half gallon.

But, +1 on being able to find gas somewhere. Don't forget farms and ranches out west either, many of them have gasoline delivered directly to them and you might be able to bum a gallon or so to get back to civilization.

"stealing" never works, but begging with beer reimbursement works sometime... you know it does but UR right, if you ride alone, forget it. MSR is goog for 20 miles or less... why would you think otherwise?

Don't forget other vehicles like Jeeps... then usually have extra gas.
Back to top Go down
BluePill

BluePill

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Carrying Extra Gas   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 8:10 pm

Quick, dirty, ugly. (sorry - no photo, but you are not missing anything)

I got a cheap plastic fishing tackle box (A plastic tool box is similar) that I put on the tail rack with bungee cords. It holds three 1 quart bottles (Old oil bottles) filled with gas, plus a bulb & hose syphon (If I need to exchange gas with another bike), and misc. tools. I DO NOT put anything in there that could be ruined by gasoline (such as spare tubes), although I have had no leaks in 18 months of using this system. The spare gas is mixed with "StaBil", and I change it out every three months in Summer by throwing the old gas in my car.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Carrying Extra Gas   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 2:15 am

A fuel blivet - seen behind the saddlebags in this picture. Can also be simply strapped to your tail rack if all you need is gas. Holds 3.1 gallons and they come bigger. The real nice thing is, once you've emptied it, you just roll it up like a burrito and then stick it in your bags or bungy it to your rack or whatever. Pretty much disappears. Try that with rigid fuel tanks.

Methods for Carrying Extra Gas Imgp7210

One or two used oil bottles secured with netting and velcro straps works pretty good as well, if all you need is just a little bit of gas for insurance that you're going to make it all the way to the next gas up.
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Testing...   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 7:40 am

I bought some of these from China to test.

Fuel 'Bladders'

7Litre, just like the ones at JustGasTanks. I think they could be improved by a webbing system (straps or something) with tie-down eyelets so I'm keeping my eyes peeled for anything like that to use.
Back to top Go down
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Carrying Extra Gas   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 9:33 am

These look like an attractive alternative to the MSR bottles (square bottles will pack easier):

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-070-0580/Touratech-2-Liter-Spare-Fuel-Canister

Shovel
Back to top Go down
jon_l

jon_l

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Carrying Extra Gas   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 3:59 pm

I have three of these 1 liter aluminum fuel bottle in Molle pouches:

Methods for Carrying Extra Gas 8391085296_450a34a735_z

Bottles were < $4 each on sale, pouches around $6.50 (mail-order from Asia). Total investment ~$30

Filled 3/4 full, 3 bottles is 2.25 L, which is ~54 km, or 33 miles, which is probably enough for where I ride. One day I'll add a 1 gallon Rotopax to the rack, but for now, this is a cheap, reasonable solution.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Carrying Extra Gas   Methods for Carrying Extra Gas Empty

Back to top Go down

Methods for Carrying Extra Gas
Page 1 of 1