Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback

Go down 
+13
TwilightZone
WRXR
skierd
Dancamp
Jäger
duanew
soggytire
oldirt
SteveO
X-Racer
njbill
john92
cryptomundo
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cryptomundo

IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback Empty
PostSubject: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 6:42 pm

I assume several of you have some miles now with your new IMS tanks and would like some feedback on what you like or dislike about the tanks? I am also curious how the bike handles with the new tank?

Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 8:57 pm

I did a 2-day dual sport with mine in Nov. It was fine. It's slightly top heavy when fully topped off but not really that noticeable (until you're pushing it or picking it up - just as bad as stock bike). On day 1, I blew through both gas stops because I knew I had nothing to worry about gas-wise. It was about 80 miles each day of mostly fire cut and single track trail.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 12:53 am

I am totally happy with mine. When riding tight trails, you can hardly feel any difference but the extended range is awesome.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 2:43 am

Crypto: It mounts, stays mounted, doesn't leak and holds more gas and provides more MPR between stops.

The riding ergonomics are totally transparent. Eight (8) consumable lbs is not a considerable amount of weight around the CG of a bike ( or rider) which may be loaded (above the CG) with 10-30 lbs (or more). You could consume that much weight in (Camelbak) water in a few hours as well.

However, if your reservations are within your pocket book. Just take the money out now and go for it. thumb
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 9:20 am

X-Racer wrote:
Crypto: It mounts, stays mounted, doesn't leak and holds more gas and provides more MPR between stops.

The riding ergonomics are totally transparent. Eight (8) consumable lbs is not a considerable amount of weight around the CG of a bike ( or rider) which may be loaded (above the CG) with 10-30 lbs (or more). You could consume that much weight in (Camelbak) water in a few hours as well.

However, if your reservations are within your pocket book. Just take the money out now and go for it. thumb

everything i wanted to know. i was also worried about riding ergonomics and it seems there is no difference. yes to the last part (pocket book). im being very careful these days about spending because im moving this year.

Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 10:31 pm

I understand... I hate that.

Ass, gas, or grass, no one rides for free.

They were extending discounts to the forum members. I'm sure they are still thankful of the group.

...but like everyone else obviously, they have to make money to stay in business.
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 1:14 am

yeah i had my name on that list .. i never got an email from them and then they started working on the leak problem so i just held off for a while. anyway, i have a few months before i need it so i have some time to save up.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 8:37 pm

I'm liking my 3.1 just fine

Last edited by LightFoot on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 9:18 pm

thanks Larry .. good stuff .. i was thinking the same thing about the tank (gas) level. if i dont need to fill it up then i wont (in effort to make the bike as nimble as possible). also, i think i remember your review of the gas cap and testing it .. Looks like the IMS tank will be money well spent.

Back to top Go down
SteveO

SteveO

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 10:39 pm

I spoke earlier that the stock seal was not leaking....I was wrong.
After putting in the IMS "thick seal", no more leaking. I was able to use the stock Fuel Pump bolts with some loctite, and it appears to be working very well.

I'm verry happy with the tank. I purchased a RotoPax 1-Gallon tank to mount onto my rear rack, just in case, and with this setup, I'm much more confident in the distance I can travel.
Back to top Go down
oldirt

oldirt

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Like most here, I could not be happier with this upgrade. By far the best bang for the buck. When I first got the bike I rationalized that going 80 miles would be more than adequate range, I was quickly proven wrong, these bikes are so easy to ride and the miles go so quickly without a thought that I was being interrupted during my rides needing gas. I also found myself asking people how many miles was the loop or ride before gas was available. The range on the stock tank kept me from riding longer loops and missing some stellar rides. Don't give it a second thought, it is a quality product with great customer service. FWI, most all aftermarket product will need a little massaging to install, just take your time and check/recheck as you go.
Back to top Go down
soggytire

soggytire

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 12:28 am

any pics of finished product? Install? Challenging installation techniques?
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 1:55 pm

My only problem is that I tend to overtighten the cap. The first time I tried to fill it up I could not loosen the cap with my hands. I had about a half a tank so fuel was not critical. I went home and tapped on it with the rubber handle of a hammer and it loosened up.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 2:44 pm

My fuel blivet solves my range problems for now just fine. 3.1 gal, or any portion thereof, and takes up no more room than necessary when full, partially full, or rolled up for storage (sorta the same size as my Butterfly Chair).

IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback New%20bladders

But I do keep coming back and looking at this cool gas tank... again and again. Has very obvious advantages to the fuel blivet - or in conjunction to the fuel blivet. Some of the rides around here where gas stations - on the highway - can be 60 miles apart, you just can't have too much gas. I.e One leg I proposed for the SE portion of BC for the developing Trans Canada Trail is nearly 400 km in length - and could easily made longer to maximize the fun factor. Yep, there are gas stations within reach if you do a quick sidetrip to the tar for gas, but it is nice to be able to do long legs with minimal effort.

So I have a question:

Those of you with Wolfman Enduro Lite and Fandango tank bags, how do they fit over this gas tank - is the top contour significantly different?
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 4:26 pm

I have the Wolfman enduro tank bag and no problems. The hose just curves end is inserted into the fork. I also use the tank panniers and since the tank doesn't use more space than the original, there is no problem either.

Does the fuel blivet seeps when exposed to the sun ?
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 4:55 pm

Dancamp wrote:
I have the Wolfman enduro tank bag and no problems. The hose just curves end is inserted into the fork. I also use the tank panniers and since the tank doesn't use more space than the original, there is no problem either.

Does the fuel blivet seeps when exposed to the sun ?
Nope. The fabric they use is (I'm guessing), the same stuff the military, coast guard, etc use where seeping/weeping is not an acceptable option. I lash the sucker on wherever, which I wouldn't do if it ended up gassing my stuff.

I asked about the tank bag because even with the stock tank, the contour of the stock tank puts a fairly significant convex shape in the bottom of the tank bag. For some things, maybe not so much an issue, but with blocky hard stuff like DSLRs, binoculars, etc it does make them even greater space hogs than they already are.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 5:16 pm

Love mine, wouldn't think of getting rid of it unless the 4.5+gal tank comes out with similar ergo's. Mine stopped leaking conveniently after I stripped the screw head on one of the pump's and retightened everything when I went to put the big honkin o-ring on. Never did fix it, but it stopped leaking, so I stopped caring.

~120 miles of all highway or riding like a jackass city riding till the light comes on with winter gas, 140ish with summer gas, both figures about 50 miles further than stock not so amazingly. Haven't run her dry yet, haven't needed to either compared to the stock tank. This is the size that should have come stock on the bike imo. Weight difference is not noticeable from the saddle and the range is so much better for commuting and dual sporting.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 5:47 pm

Jäger wrote:

I asked about the tank bag because even with the stock tank, the contour of the stock tank puts a fairly significant convex shape in the bottom of the tank bag. For some things, maybe not so much an issue, but with blocky hard stuff like DSLRs, binoculars, etc it does make them even greater space hogs than they already are.

I put these objects in the enduro carry bag and I keep mostly soft objects in the tank bag like gloves, papers, wires etc...
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 12:20 pm

Jager, I'd like to know where to get a fuel blivet. Is there a place in Canada that sells it ?

Your's look like a fine model.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 1:22 pm

Dancamp wrote:

I put these objects in the enduro carry bag and I keep mostly soft objects in the tank bag like gloves, papers, wires etc...
Yeah. My problem is that for a lot of my rides, the only thing on my bike is the tank bag. I may change that, but I have to stand on a footpeg to get my leg over the bike with any comfort anyways. I can do it from the ground, but between getting pretty stiff in the legs with age and something like a 29" and change inseam, a tank bag makes things difficult.

So I don't put anything on the back unless I need to i.e. Giant Loop, fuel blivet, etc.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 1:31 pm

Dancamp wrote:
Jager, I'd like to know where to get a fuel blivet. Is there a place in Canada that sells it ?

Your's look like a fine model.
I didn't look - I needed it right away. We briefly had even better ones in the military - slightly thinner material as I recall, kind of round/shaped like a 2 litre carton of milk, rolled up nicer than these ones. I guess I should have helped some of those fall off a green truck, because they have disappeared, never to be seen again, and I have never seen anything like them since. They held about a gallon, is my guess - with three or four of those, you could stash them in various places on the bike, even more flexibility.

My guess is a small blivet like this will be hard to find in Canada. Probably not so hard to find one that holds hundreds or thousands of litres of fuel... Here's where I got it:

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=365

IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback Imgp7210

Rides just behind the Giant Loop.
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 9:30 pm

How many miles can you travel on a full 3.1 tank (vs. the stock one)?
Back to top Go down
TwilightZone

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 10:26 pm

Well... 3gal X 60mpg = 180... give or take a few.
That's DS riding... low gear single track, enduro, dunno for sure.
Back to top Go down
jaherbst

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 12:37 am

Installing my IMS tank(3.1) after Thanksgiving. I do not want to changs the looks and was wondering if you keep all the tupperware that came from the factory on the bike with the IMS 3.1 tank.

Jack
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 8:27 am

jaherbst wrote:

Installing my IMS tank(3.1) after Thanksgiving. I do not want to changs the looks and was wondering if you keep all the tupperware that came from the factory on the bike with the IMS 3.1 tank.
Yes, retains all factory plastics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback   IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback Empty

Back to top Go down

IMS 3 GALLON - Feedback
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next