Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Garmin 62st GPS

Go down 
+6
Corkonian
Jäger
bsheet2
router.exe
john92
M1A Rifleman
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Corkonian

Garmin 62st GPS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmin 62st GPS   Garmin 62st GPS - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 6:42 am

lol Jäger - The advrider tagline on the GPS forum makes sense to me now 'I am GPS Geek. Fear me.' Very happy - would 'anally retentive' be a good way of describing your personality. Not having a dig - I quite admire that.

I agree with your points in general - although your answers are a bit overindulgent.

Just because it's not on the internet doesn't mean it's not true - I've already said I know one other person - from the UK - that had the same thing happen so it's not only me - there are two people on this planet blessed with the ability to break the unbreakable.

I don't doubt the 17 hours for battery life WITH THE BACKLIGHT OFF - my point for the third time is that on a bike in the conditions I ride I really think you have to have the backlight on - full preferably.

Go on - I must do some work thumb
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Garmin 62st GPS   Garmin 62st GPS - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Corkonian wrote:
lol Jäger - The advrider tagline on the GPS forum makes sense to me now 'I am GPS Geek. Fear me.' Very happy - would 'anally retentive' be a good way of describing your personality. Not having a dig - I quite admire that.
I'm enough of a "geek" that I know you aren't going to load the "exact same" Garmin mapping on that Satmap as you think you will be doing, no matter how long you try. That's a start.

I think "anally retentive" better describes somebody who takes the position that they don't care that the rest of the population is getting very different results then they are - they the exception in fact prove the rule. Would you know anybody like that?

You've gone on about how this model of GPS is flawed, with screens that one must be very careful of. You have in fact managed to find one other person in the world that has had the same experience. Meanwhile, if one is to Google that GPS, visit the Wiki devoted to that model, and the various GPS focused forums, nobody else using this GPS is reporting the same problems. In fact, I'd be willing to make a small bet that one of the first things you did when you started experiencing problems was to use a search engine to see if anyone else was having similar problems. I know I would.

I think it's safe to say that Garmin has made and sold thousands of these GPS units by now - and yet nobody but you and your anonymous fellow sufferer can be found reporting problems with this fragile screen/GPS model. Ditto for your complaints about battery life. One review of this GPS reported 17 hours while the unit was under canopy, dealing with attenuation and multipath. Here's another review's report on battery life: The 62s claims up to 20 hours of battery life, using NiMh or Lithiums. Alkalines for me lasted about 17 hours, before I started getting a low battery message. I have used Lithiums and estimate 30 hours plus and NiMH rechargeables seem to be close to 30 hours.

So the rest of the user experience out there, and testing and reviews, does not result in the same problems as you're having. I believe your screen cracked, I believe your batteries last mere hours. But to take your experience and that of one other person, ignore the absence of similar complaints throughout the user community, and describe the model as flawed and the screen fragile because you own ONE is what I consider to be anally retentive. Your mileage, of course, may differ.

Quote :
Just because it's not on the internet doesn't mean it's not true - I've already said I know one other person - from the UK - that had the same thing happen so it's not only me - there are two people on this planet blessed with the ability to break the unbreakable.
Awesome. Two instances out of how many thousands of units out there? Well... that's all the evidence we need then!

Back about a year and a half ago, there was a guy who had a WR250 who was having problems with his bike. Based on his experiences, he went on at length about how the bike design was flawed and that was the cause of his problems. No number of people pointing out that nobody else was having the problem would dissuade him. No number of Yamaha mechanics disagreeing with him and pointing that nobody else was having the same experience would change his approach. The fact that his had a problem was all the evidence needed. This issue with your GPS is beginning to sound remarkably like that.

At the end of the day, I really don't care if you decide to revert back to using a lodestone stuck on a cork floating in a bowl of water. After all, the means of navigation you choose to use has to please you, not me. And I have no doubt you'll never be happy with that particular GPS, no matter how many others are perfectly satisfied with it. I'm even willing to agree that you probably got a lemon and Garmin should at the very least have taken it back and examined it.

But when somebody takes ONE example of a GPS, a WR250R - whatever - with a problem, and say their experience shows the product to be flawed despite thousands of others not having that problem, yes, I am going to disagree and point out that the exception does not prove the rule. Even if it is a product that I think is not the best choice out there.
Back to top Go down
Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

PostSubject: Re: Garmin 62st GPS   Garmin 62st GPS - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 6:56 pm

router.exe wrote:
62 is just the next generation of the 60. should be able to everything the 60 can which includes routing to addresses. the 60 is a little slow on letting you know about upcoming turns, not sure if that has been addressed in the 62.

I don't visit this website often so I'm a bit late to the party....."I" would not even consider a 62 because the 62 only offers a micro DSB connection on the back of the unit and "I" would be hesitant to trust that connection as a hardwire on a bike. They've done away with the 4 pin connection that's on the back of the 60 series units(DUMB MOVE GARMIN! dddog ). So, if I was looking for a "new" Garmin model I'd only look at the 78. That said, there are still plenty of deals to be found on the discontinued 60/76 series and they're more than adequate for the casual dualsporter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Garmin 62st GPS   Garmin 62st GPS - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Garmin 62st GPS
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2