Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Fuel Mileage

Go down 
+63
TwoBuells
mekros
raymondhenson
oic0
Biglake
crashmaster
chuckP
Krispy
TBird1
justmpg
ibismojo
Farmer17
rokka
Mr.Metal
Sloth
Dancamp
Ryan Nelson
motokid
Matty
PooTeeTat
Medski
Akasy
Jersey Devil
WRoldman
duanew
YZEtc
keith_mahoney
clint
Hetch
grubbie
BlueAngel
Crazy Monkey
xcel
jason meacham
Jäger
subedai
ve2yag
derm75
Max Pwr
GsVs
greer
superbee24
David Haynes
10Cup
texascycle
craigq
WeaveR
1moreroad
Machtig
flatboarder
essadv
mfrankpdx
0007onWR
Addicted
inspector
lotsofwheels
shredak
ZED
Krabill
SheWolf
SpiritWolf15
mwakey
Reschly
67 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Fuel Mileage - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 10:48 pm

It's cause of all the extra weight from the mud Brian. Fuel Mileage - Page 5 810411

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 8:38 pm

I have thought about this again and have a new thought about this. I used to have a Super Sherpa that I rode pretty hard and would get about 65 mpg. I ride my WR equally as hard and get about 55 mpg. Because of the increase in power I am ok with that. The problem that I have is that the Sherpa had a slightly bigger tank which gave it much longer range. Now where is that 3 gal IMS tank.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 8:41 pm

Fuel Mileage - Page 5 810411 They're workin on it! I can't wait! Fuel Mileage - Page 5 525406

grubbie

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 9:21 pm

xcel wrote:
Hi Grubbie:

While 100 mpg is a tough nut to crack when on the WR250R/X vs. the rest, riding sensibly should get you to 70 mpg without too much effort. Hypermiling is not a whole other ball of wax; it just takes some patience and knowing what to do when an impediment ahead can be taken advantage of…

An analogy… The WR250R/X is like a Corvette amongst a sea of Camry’s (DR200) and Accord’s (CRF230L) to maybe a Taurus SHO (KLX250SF). All have their strengths including lower prices and higher fuel economy but they do not have the 10 to 40% more punch out of the crate that the WR offers.

The WR is actually harder to ride for fuel economy because you can feel those high lift cams begin working their magic above 40 mph all the while they begin sucking fuel down to make sure the fractional amount of extra G’s are instantly available that the rest of the 250 class cannot offer without a lot of modification.

All said, 55 mpg on a WR in a mixed riding regiment is not all that bad. In my ride of the XT250 two years back, it took a 40% haircut once taken off the pavement. That does not mean there is not more available but 55 is not bad.

WRoldman, I was only putting emissions controls into perspective. Sorry for sounding preachy...

Wayne
I just don't really understand buying a bike like this and riding it like a scooter. If you are truly worried about the carbon footprint, this is not the bike you should be riding. But then again,....it's not for me to understand. Do whatever floats your boat, right? And certainly you don't need the green opinion from someone like me who works in a coal fired power plant. But back to the bike,..it was a pretty poor design decision putting a 2 gallon tank on a 55mpg bike. I hope IMS doesn't price me out of a 3 gallon.
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 1:47 am

Hi Grubbie:

grubbie wrote:
xcel wrote:
Hi Grubbie:

While 100 mpg is a tough nut to crack when on the WR250R/X vs. the rest, riding sensibly should get you to 70 mpg without too much effort. Hypermiling is not a whole other ball of wax; it just takes some patience and knowing what to do when an impediment ahead can be taken advantage of…

An analogy… The WR250R/X is like a Corvette amongst a sea of Camry’s (DR200) and Accord’s (CRF230L) to maybe a Taurus SHO (KLX250SF). All have their strengths including lower prices and higher fuel economy but they do not have the 10 to 40% more punch out of the crate that the WR offers.

The WR is actually harder to ride for fuel economy because you can feel those high lift cams begin working their magic above 40 mph all the while they begin sucking fuel down to make sure the fractional amount of extra G’s are instantly available that the rest of the 250 class cannot offer without a lot of modification.

All said, 55 mpg on a WR in a mixed riding regiment is not all that bad. In my ride of the XT250 two years back, it took a 40% haircut once taken off the pavement. That does not mean there is not more available but 55 is not bad.

WRoldman, I was only putting emissions controls into perspective. Sorry for sounding preachy...

Wayne
I just don't really understand buying a bike like this and riding it like a scooter. If you are truly worried about the carbon footprint, this is not the bike you should be riding. But then again,....it's not for me to understand. Do whatever floats your boat, right? And certainly you don't need the green opinion from someone like me who works in a coal fired power plant. But back to the bike,..it was a pretty poor design decision putting a 2 gallon tank on a 55mpg bike. I hope IMS doesn't price me out of a 3 gallon.

Hopefully the following will answer your questions?

1. Why did you mention a scooter? I ran the WR250X through corners at 40 + mph on my ride to Chicago the other day and come close to scraping the pegs a few times except I was not WOT when exiting as there is no need to race to the next corner, sign, light or back bumper of the car ahead. I would have surely low sided on a scooter trying that but that may be just me??? Additionally, visiting gas stations suck so why would you want to do that more often Fuel Mileage - Page 5 613970

2. This is a review bike.

3. I used to be a nuke plant operator... What does working in a coal fired power plant have to do with the fuel economy of the WR?

4. Why are you not on a scooter or a 1200 GS Adventure? Either can take you to the same place your WR can 100% of the time? The WR250 just so happens to get you there 100% of the time while having a really good time AND offers excellent FE while doing so Fuel Mileage - Page 5 61865

5. If you want to play the green card, I will be more than willing to go down that road in another thread but this one is all about FE of the WR's. What you receive FE wise with your WR is up to you, not the bike. Within reason of course with a possible range on the low end of ~ 30 mpg (Machtig estimated he might see that low when racing) to maybe 115 mpg or thereabouts on the top.

Finally, I hope the IMS tank is a great deal too! That way many more will buy their soon to be released OEM looking 3.0 gallon tank or possibly the upcoming 4.5 gallon tank. It will help keep WR riders riding vs. sitting at the gas station Fuel Mileage - Page 5 93746 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 93746 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 93746

Wayne
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 10:49 am

It's definitely interesting to note what riders are getting from their bikes, given their weight, what's been done to the bike, riding conditions, etc. We all have different riding styles, and it gives a good idea as to what one might be able to expect when they ride if they are close to someone else's riding style/technique/weight range. thumb Little tweaks here and there can make or break a threshold (or in this case, assumption Very happy ). Some are anal about keeping track of FE, be it for seeing if something might be in need of maintenance, or just to see what the vehicle's doing in certain situations...and some, just love to get out and ride and could care less what they get. Whatever the case, it's neat to see at a glance what others share for information on their machines. Nothing wrong with a little knowledge here and there. freaky

Jersey Devil

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 3:15 pm

I just want the bigger tank, thats all I give a darn about. Fuel Mileage - Page 5 490865

Fuel Mileage - Page 5 163123 C'mon 4.5gal tank Fuel Mileage - Page 5 163123
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 8:26 pm

OK first tank down and done--fuel light at 98 miles, filled up tank to same level came out at 71+ MPG. About half was single track and bladed dirt after climbing from 6000 to 7500 feet on pavement, then hard surface up to 10,600 then back down in the dirt to 6000.
Back to top Go down
texascycle

texascycle

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 4:49 pm

This post is so fun because most of the information is subjective. Anyone who is not extremely large, or heavy and has not modified their bike, uses the same fuel, rides at an average steady pace with neutral wind will more than likely achieve the +/- 70 mpgs. Now throw in the muti-dimensional changes at each of the points above, then add for temperature, altitude, attitude, etc ... the mileage will start to vary.

I like to ride smoothly, gently sometimes ... other times, I am flailing the blue blur around as fast as she will go ... but usually when I think about miles per tank, I am going to be riding a mixture of trails and road, some fast and some slow, and with 2500 miles now, I am hitting the reserve light at around 90-95 miles regularly (using crappy 10% ethanol ... can't find a bp around here). That is getting me around 65 mpgs with casually spirited, not racing, type of riding.

That is a number that I have not regularly seen on any bike (short of my XT350 doing around 60) ... including many scooters that I have ridden that are capable of highway speeds and similar top speeds. It really is an outstanding achievement in my opinion. Especially, if I have no care about the distance I need from my tank, I can bring on some riding excitement unparalleled by any other bike I have been on.

I like having the choice ... to ride leisurely or briskly ... and still having more fun than any other motorcycle I have been on.

Just my $.02
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 5:24 pm

+1 but I would submit the modifications are the real mileage killers. Second tank, same result of 71+ this time mostly dirt above 7500 feet, rocky (softball size) and ledges, this combined with 60-75 mph cruise to get to the trails pulling up from 6000 feet. Is 80 mpg doable from the stock bike--most likely--but not with a riding style that I would normally use.
IMHO if you are getting in the 40mpg range you may as well get a bike that will give you real power. I get 40+ mpg with my XR650R street legal bike which is in the 50+ rear wheel horse power range--why do I have the WRR? Because it has a very slight weight advantage, will do the needed 70+ mph highway cruise and I'm not carrying 4-6 gallons of gas (28-42 lbs) up around the triple tree as I have to on the XRR due to fuel mileage.

texascycle wrote:
This post is so fun because most of the information is subjective. Anyone who is not extremely large, or heavy and has not modified their bike, uses the same fuel, rides at an average steady pace with neutral wind will more than likely achieve the +/- 70 mpgs. Now throw in the muti-dimensional changes at each of the points above, then add for temperature, altitude, attitude, etc ... the mileage will start to vary.

I like to ride smoothly, gently sometimes ... other times, I am flailing the blue blur around as fast as she will go ... but usually when I think about miles per tank, I am going to be riding a mixture of trails and road, some fast and some slow, and with 2500 miles now, I am hitting the reserve light at around 90-95 miles regularly (using crappy 10% ethanol ... can't find a bp around here). That is getting me around 65 mpgs with casually spirited, not racing, type of riding.

That is a number that I have not regularly seen on any bike (short of my XT350 doing around 60) ... including many scooters that I have ridden that are capable of highway speeds and similar top speeds. It really is an outstanding achievement in my opinion. Especially, if I have no care about the distance I need from my tank, I can bring on some riding excitement unparalleled by any other bike I have been on.

I like having the choice ... to ride leisurely or briskly ... and still having more fun than any other motorcycle I have been on.

Just my $.02
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 6:51 pm

Some modifications hurt mileage while some help. I have never gotten great mileage, but that is mostly due to my throttle hand I think. I hit the back roads doing 50-70 mph on avg. & gear selection is based on ideal acceleration. Not ideal for MPG. So my mileage observations are as follows (yours will probably vary especially if you are working to get good mileage). Changing the gearing (from stock to 13/46) robbed me 3 MPG on avg. Changing the the stock BT090 tires for Pirelli Rosso's cost me 6 MPG. Adding 4 PSI to the rear gained me 4 MPG as well as better tire wear. The really interesting one is the addition of the FMF Q4 & FMF programmer gained me 3 MPG. Don't know what to tell you.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 11:29 pm

I can attest to that one. thumb I don't know what the big deal is, really. I know there are more than a few out there who love to run around shaking their finger at me saying it ain't so, but whatever. It IS SO. Call it fairy dust or unicorn milk or whatever else comes from that short circuiting up there, I get good mileage on a bike that gives an awesome return for full fun factor, and that's what matters. Who cares if you get 40 mpg or 100, regardless of how you do it; as long as you're enjoying the ride. freaky

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 8:33 am

Unicorn milk? Fuel Mileage - Page 5 Icon_scratch
What's that taste like? :)
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 11:10 am

I dunno, you'd have to ask Krabil. Very happy

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 1:10 pm

Word, Wuffie.
Back to top Go down
texascycle

texascycle

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 1:35 pm

Once I put my windshield on, I will prolly get 100 mpgs ... Fuel Mileage - Page 5 986936

Film at 11.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 4:53 pm

Oh I'd love to see that footage. MAJOR BUGSPLAT. Very happy

Medski

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 6:58 pm

Now lets talk about how much mileage you can get from ''Fuel Light on'' to ''dry out of fuel engine dies'' :P
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 9:26 pm

Medski wrote:
Now lets talk about how much mileage you can get from ''Fuel Light on'' to ''dry out of fuel engine dies'' :P

I'd pay good money to see just that.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 9:40 pm

I'd be more leery of weakening the fuel pump running it that dry... Suspect

PooTeeTat

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 1:04 pm

12/48 sprockets, no spark arrestor in stock pipe, wide open throtle everywhere I have open road in front of me (average about 80 MPH), street only

just a touch over 50 MPG Fuel Mileage - Page 5 89954

I get 75 miles to fuel light and about 25 to "holy shit, I'm on fumes". Ive already filled up to the rated capacity of the tank. Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 1:24 pm

1995 "over the hill" KM XT350 still getting around 56mpg, 1982 BMW R65LS still getting about 48mpg.

Still not believing the claims of less than 60mpg on brand new state of the art Liquid cooled 250 singles.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 1:44 pm

A mix of rider weight and WFO throttle control will do that...

PooTeeTat

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 2:49 pm

Tibarus wrote:
Still not believing the claims of less than 60mpg on brand new state of the art Liquid cooled 250 singles.

Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356 Fuel Mileage - Page 5 9356

Rinse.

Repeat..........

I weigh 230-240 depending on how much beer I drank earlier Fuel Mileage - Page 5 500735
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 4:11 pm

What about that nice 16 oz prime rib steak with all the trimmings to go along with that? Very happy

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fuel Mileage
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next