Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Fuel Mileage

Go down 
+63
TwoBuells
mekros
raymondhenson
oic0
Biglake
crashmaster
chuckP
Krispy
TBird1
justmpg
ibismojo
Farmer17
rokka
Mr.Metal
Sloth
Dancamp
Ryan Nelson
motokid
Matty
PooTeeTat
Medski
Akasy
Jersey Devil
WRoldman
duanew
YZEtc
keith_mahoney
clint
Hetch
grubbie
BlueAngel
Crazy Monkey
xcel
jason meacham
Jäger
subedai
ve2yag
derm75
Max Pwr
GsVs
greer
superbee24
David Haynes
10Cup
texascycle
craigq
WeaveR
1moreroad
Machtig
flatboarder
essadv
mfrankpdx
0007onWR
Addicted
inspector
lotsofwheels
shredak
ZED
Krabill
SheWolf
SpiritWolf15
mwakey
Reschly
67 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
PooTeeTat

PooTeeTat

Fuel Mileage - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 4:47 pm

It's a date.

oh...that wasn't an invitation???????

Damn........ Fuel Mileage - Page 6 342500
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 4:48 pm

I've been known to cook up a whack of food before. thumb

Matty

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 6:34 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I've been known to cook up a whack of food before. thumb
British Columbia here i come.
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 12:29 pm

Hi All:

Almost 2,100 miles on a 2010 - 1200 GS last week and it only allowed 57 mpg over that distance. Not even close to what the WR is capable of although much of it was high speed slab. I had to ride through a number of nightmare's in and around the big urban area's including a 15-mile, 2-hour stop and crawl around Washington DC on the I-95. It was between 96 and 101 degrees F too Fuel Mileage - Page 6 9356 I was forced to ride a 600 mile day after a flat front tire put me behind schedule with a 51 and 56 mpg tank result.

While on the Blue Ridge Parkway, one tank was almost 62 mpg but the average speed was just 33 mph Fuel Mileage - Page 6 986936

What does this have to do with the WR? The 250X would have easily hit 80 + mpg on the same ride! I do not know if the WR's stock seat would allow a 600-mile day without visiting the hospital for a new butt however Fuel Mileage - Page 6 93746

Wayne

Last edited by xcel on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 6:58 pm

Well...sometimes I stick my thumb in my mouth and blow on it hoping to pop my butt cheeks back out....so far it hasn't worked. budah

motokid

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 8:41 pm

with corrections for my odometer being off by 7.69% considered,

I got 56.4 mpg on the tank of gas I just finished.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 9:14 pm

motokid wrote:
with corrections for my odometer being off by 7.69% considered,

I got 56.4 mpg on the tank of gas I just finished.

Something must be wrong with either your bike, or your riding habits.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 9:29 pm

That's not that bad, really. Some ppl have different riding habits, so mileage is gonna vary.

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 9:49 pm

My habbits are really bad:
40 mpg.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 9:51 pm

Bet you still smile when you ride that thing tho... Very happy

motokid

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 9:57 pm

I don't ride for gas mileage. I ride for fun. Everywhere I ride.

I come damn friggin close to rev limiter almost all the time.
I try to lift front wheel with every twist of the throttle.

I try to rail every darn corner possible.

55 mpg has been pretty consistent for me since I got the bike.
Even when it was mostly stock.

I've never gotten over 60 mpg. Never.

Fuel Mileage - Page 6 942737

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 10:27 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Bet you still smile when you ride that thing tho... Very happy

Why, coitenly. :)
Gas milage?
Bah.
Back to top Go down
Ryan Nelson

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 10:49 am

YZEtc wrote:
My habbits are really bad:
40 mpg.
I ran 400 miles over two days last weekend with about 75% offroad. I got between 37mpg and 45mpg depending on the fuel stop. I put 2.0 gallons into it at one of the gas stops. 75 mile range isnt gonna hack it.
I used mileage numbers from the gps instead of the odo because the odo is not correct and I'm playing with the speedohealer to get the speedometer dialed in, so I know the numbers are correct.
I need the 4.5g IMS tank to come out. I've got a trip next month where I need to be able to do 180 miles one day and 165 miles routinely. Yikes.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 11:09 am

I started putting regular in my WR and it decreased the amount of fuel taken from 60 to 63 mpg.

No pinking yet.
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 12:43 pm

Hi Ryan:

37 mpg. Did that include a lot of lower gear roosting while off-road? That is close to the lows I have read other than the X rider while on the track and I believe he was pulling low 30's while racing? Also was your two gallon fill in an OEM tank as that is getting real close... Talking from experience Fuel Mileage - Page 6 810411

Dancamp, interesting. No pinging with a higher engine loads and lower RPMs either? Pulling one gear to low while climbing a hill for example?

Thanks

Wayne
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 2:26 pm

xcel wrote:

Dancamp, interesting. No pinging with a higher engine loads and lower RPMs either? Pulling one gear to low while climbing a hill for example?

Thanks

Wayne

No. It was mainly at speed between 90 and 120 km/hre on the road. The pump indicates 89 octane for regular over here. the only thing I noticed is an irregularity at idle when cold. Once the engine is hot no more irregularity.
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Worst and Best   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 3:16 pm

I posted this on the mega thread, but last week in Colorado, I got my worst MPG, and my best. Worst was the 62 mile stretch of I-25 between Colorado City and Trinidad. I burned 1.64 gallons in 62 miles, or 37.8 MPG. I had it pinned to the throttle stop the entire 62 miles. Pinned.

Best was between the Trinidad and La Veta section of the TransAm Trail where I got just under 70 mpg (burned 1.06 gallons in 72 miles)
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 3:39 pm

Hi Machtig:

Would you mind if I used the WOT for 62-miles (Colorado City, CO - Elevation 5,850 to Trinidad, CO Elevation 6,025) for a 37.8 mpg segment in future posts and write-ups as that is some really good information. Did you remember if you had a head, tail or cross wind of any sort during the WOT 62-mile ride?

Almost forgot... Are you still at stock gearing or have you geared down?

TIA

Wayne
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 6:35 pm

xcel wrote:
Hi Machtig:

Would you mind if I used the WOT for 62-miles (Colorado City, CO - Elevation 5,850 to Trinidad, CO Elevation 6,025) for a 37.8 mpg segment in future posts and write-ups as that is some really good information. Did you remember if you had a head, tail or cross wind of any sort during the WOT 62-mile ride?

Almost forgot... Are you still at stock gearing or have you geared down?

TIA

Wayne

Wayne,

There wasn't very much wind, but it was hilly in spots. I was also fully loaded (fuel, saddlebags, and myself in full gear). I'd hit a gps speed of 85mph down the hill and as low as 60mph up. Flat ground I'd pull 78 or 79mph consistently. I was in 6th gear the entire time, and as you've noted, the elevation was about 6000 ft, give or take. I've got 13/46 gearing (13/43 is stock on the R), FMF powerbomb header, FMF Q4 muffler, opened up airbox, removed AIS, and a Power Commander IV fuel tuner with a map I custom made (it is a smoothed and averaged map of the RustyG map, a map off the power commander website, and another I can't quite recall).

Use my figures however you'd like. I used gps mileage for my calculations as well.
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 8:13 pm

Hi Machtig:

Thanks for the really good High Speed FE metrics from your trip! I posted your comments with some added detail in the following: Re: The 2010 Yamaha WR250X Review Has Begun…

If you see anything that you would like changed, by all means let me know.

Thanks again.

Wayne
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 11:25 pm

Hi Machtig:

One of the guys questioned the slow down on the ascents. Chadx straightened it out but do you remember if there were any of those infamous 5 and 6% grades between Colorado City, CO and Trinidad, CO on the I-25?

TIA

Wayne
Back to top Go down
Ryan Nelson

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 6:15 pm

xcel wrote:
Hi Ryan:
37 mpg. Did that include a lot of lower gear roosting while off-road? That is close to the lows I have read other than the X rider while on the track and I believe he was pulling low 30's while racing? Also was your two gallon fill in an OEM tank as that is getting real close... Talking from experience

Yes it did :). I was riding the bike like I stole it - basically sliding into corners and blasting out of them. We were riding mainly forest service roads - some graded, some very rocky. There was definitely lots of roosting going on - and I was riding with full luggage as shakedown for an upcoming weeklong trip. I also got the bike up to 86mph gps verified on a short portion on pavement. The throttle spent little time at any point other than completely off-throttle or WFO.
My last tank was 41 mpg and consisted of doubletrack, and county roads. I have the OEM tank, Q4 and the FMF fuel controller (which I keep slowly leaning out the stock FMF settings).
Back to top Go down
Sloth

Sloth

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 5:01 pm

My bike is all stock except for a GYTYR muffler. I get between 75 and 80 MPG all the time except on the highway. I think that high RPMs are what suck gas. I don't rev it unless it needs to be reved. Right now it has been 118 miles since I filled up and the fuel light is still not on. Ride it however you want but if there is a long way to the next fuel source keep the revs down and you will be amazed at how fuel efficient these bikes can be.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 7:30 pm

It seems like every vehicle I have hovers around 50 mpg if I can keep away from light-to-light city driving. The WRR is averaging about 53 mpg right now, which is about a 50/50 mix of highway and dirt. I doubt I'll ever see more than that number, and I wouldn't be surprised if it dips below 50. I'm the guy who often gets ~40 mpg (or below) with his V-Strom. Go figure.
Back to top Go down
rokka

rokka

PostSubject: Consumtion   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 8:44 am

I have never mesured how much fuel my bike uses, because my riding style is so diferent from time to time. Tomorow if the weather is god in the mountains i am planing on a trip for maybe 60-80 km one way(37 -50 miles). Most of the riding on 1st and 2 gear. Do i need to bring spare fuel with me ? My guess is that i dont need that.

How much fuel do you think that my bike will consume. Terrain is rocky and hard ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fuel Mileage
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next