Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Fuel Mileage

Go down 
+63
TwoBuells
mekros
raymondhenson
oic0
Biglake
crashmaster
chuckP
Krispy
TBird1
justmpg
ibismojo
Farmer17
rokka
Mr.Metal
Sloth
Dancamp
Ryan Nelson
motokid
Matty
PooTeeTat
Medski
Akasy
Jersey Devil
WRoldman
duanew
YZEtc
keith_mahoney
clint
Hetch
grubbie
BlueAngel
Crazy Monkey
xcel
jason meacham
Jäger
subedai
ve2yag
derm75
Max Pwr
GsVs
greer
superbee24
David Haynes
10Cup
texascycle
craigq
WeaveR
1moreroad
Machtig
flatboarder
essadv
mfrankpdx
0007onWR
Addicted
inspector
lotsofwheels
shredak
ZED
Krabill
SheWolf
SpiritWolf15
mwakey
Reschly
67 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
1moreroad

Fuel Mileage - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 4:01 pm

I was surprised (and happy) to see just under 50 mpg on a tank that consisted of a mix of back country roads and almost half a tank of trail riding in mostly 1st gear with a little 2nd gear. The knobs really kill highway mileage since 55 - 60 mph, 30 #, straight line riding nets < 55 mpg.
Back to top Go down
Farmer17

Farmer17

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 1:41 pm

i have only done rough calculations but i think i am getting about ~50-55 ish. last time my fuel light came on at 81. i run premium 93 octane fuel in it but am rather disappointed with the mileage because it is nothing like the 71 advertised... i ride pavement mostly for now and push it hard from corner to corner on the twisties however so that may kill some of it Very happy it is all completely stock.
Back to top Go down
ibismojo

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 1:05 pm

65-70 MPG on the highway, depending on how fast I go.

70-75 on the street.

55-65 if I'm having fun.

You folks realize that 70 mpg is not going to be possible for everyone........we all weigh differently Very happy
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 2:37 pm

Hi ibismojo:

I can guarantee you the weight of the rider has a far less impact on FE than the weight of his or her right hand as the latter makes all the difference...

Good Luck

Wayne
Back to top Go down
ibismojo

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 3:59 pm

That's not a guarantee as a person weighing 400 lbs on a 300 lb bike will most definitely have a severe impact on FE vs the riding habits (good or bad) of someone who weighed 150.
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 4:48 pm

Hi ibismojo:

I can see Jager rolling his eyes about now Very happy

As stated above, FE has a lot more to do with the weight of your right hand than it has to do with weight of the machine... Would I like to see the WR250R/X weigh in at 250 pounds vs. 300? You bet but in terms of FE, I am losing about 2 mpg with the additional gear weight yet still holding what I consider decent enough FE numbers while heading into the prevailing headwinds of an East to West, Northern Continent crossing.

Fuel Mileage - Page 7 WR_and_I_in_the_Atlantic
Fuel Mileage - Page 7 Garmin_FE_Routing_Road
Fuel Mileage - Page 7 Wyoming_Plaines
10 WR250X actually in the Atlantic in MA. Also in NE and then WY...
300 pounds of bike, 100 pounds of gear, 210 pound rider and at least
another 25 pounds of protective clothing.

2010 Yamaha WR250X Adventure Touring Project Bike - X-Country at 100 + MPG

Total Miles = (2227.52 miles)/Total Gallons = (21.511 gallons) = 103.553 mpg so far...

Weight hurts FE; your right hand hurts FE a heck of a lot more...

Another that has everything to do with our right foot vs. our right hand…

The 2011 Ford Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4

Fuel Mileage - Page 7 IMG_1873
Fuel Mileage - Page 7 35_0_mpg_over_96_4_mile_Drive
Just a touch under 8,000 pounds sitting on an open high plain near the Meteor Crater along
I-40 in NM. The second pic is a short RT drive into Chicago and back this past spring...

The 11 Super Duty w/ the Power Stroke's aFCD is ~ 1 mpg over actual from the FE calcs during the Phoenix to Chicago drive to place the 11 Super Duty in the Chicago Press Fleet.

Good Luck

Wayne
Back to top Go down
ibismojo

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 5:33 pm

Yes, I agree with how you ride has a lot to do with the MPG you'll get, unfortunately, one cannot change how much they weigh on the fly. That's fixed amount no matter how your ride. All things considered equal, the heavier rider will be less likely to hit the advertised fuel economy rating. That was my apparently-not-so-obvious point.

Back to top Go down
justmpg

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 3:46 pm

Greetings,
My first post here after reading some good threads. I was hoping the experienced members could give some advice:

I am considering buying a WR250X purely for it's mpg potential. Toward that end, should I / could I...

replace the 13 countershaft sprocket with a 15?
In addition to the above would reducing the rear from 42 to a 40 or 38 be a good idea as well.
Please bear in mind that performance is almost irrelevant to me.

Would removing the AIS and/or flapper and/or EXUP would actually hurt mpg?

My goal is to achieve 90mpg at a steady 65 mph,

Any advice is deeply appreciated. Thank you.

Dave
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 4:22 pm

Personally, I'd just leave everything stock if you only want the bike for fuel range out of a gallon of gas.
It already comes overgeared, and basically putters along at a low enough RPM at 65mph, low enough that you're really not into the meat of the powerband while cruising at that speed.
Back to top Go down
TBird1

TBird1

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 8:14 pm

Reschly wrote:
Just wondering what kind of mileage you are getting off road ? I was out this afternoon rippin up the fire lanes and 68 mi later the fuel light is on GAHHHH I was thinking more like 85 or so. I am running 13 48 fmf power core opened up airbox and yes I probably ride it a little harder than I should Very happy

The first tank-to-tank fillup netted me 68 MPG. This was at almost 0 miles on the odometer. I never calculated it after that but the low-fuel light usually comes on just at just under 100 miles. This is almost up in scooter territory! Note that this is pure street riding. By contrast, my Triumph Thunderbird street bike nets about 47 MPG on a good day, about 38 MPG on a bad day. My four cylinder AWD car gets about 26 MPG tank-to-tank. I include my WR250R in my "green" credentials. Very happy
Back to top Go down
Krispy

Krispy

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 3:04 am

i just filled up and i did 230km's from 8ltrs 3.4l/100km as we use here.
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 5:08 pm

I'm getting 60-70miles before my low fuel light comes on.

Athena 290BBK + exhaust +PC5
Back to top Go down
crashmaster

crashmaster

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 12:27 am

Got quite a few chuckles out of this thread. Very happy Dont mean to horse but I couldn't resist.  

I picked up a brand spanking new 2013 WRR last week and I'm beginning to think that either the fueling map has changed or you guys that get 70 to 80 mpg are running on magic fuel. amazon 

Bone stock bike, unloaded, and I weigh about 190.  If I use the throttle for a bit of fun, I get around 50 mpg.  I did that for a few tanks and was a bit surprised by it since my KTM 990 gets about 43 with spirited riding, and its a 1 liter fuel eating machine.  

So for the next few tanks on the WRR, I really babied it, slow acceleration, short shifing, keeping the revs low riding mainly 55-60 mph (speedo indicated) flat roads, very little wind, sea level, temps in the 60's.  The absolute best I have seen is 61 mpg.  No way in hell this bike is fueled lean IMO.

So given that I will be seeing 50 or less more often than 60, does anyone know if they coming out with 7 gallon tank anytime soon?  Very happy 

Fuel mileage aside, I really like the bike, very nice machine. freaky
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 10:23 am

Since they put ethanol in pump gas everything gets a few less mpgs, 60-70 mpg might be possible on good ehtanol free gas if you can find it.

I ride mostly offroad and to have fun not save gas so my mpg are pretty low.

I took a guy for a kinda easy offroad ride a couple of weeks ago, he was on a stock wrr, I took my klr650 (I thaught other klrs were coming), we burnt about the same amount of gas lol. He did make it 157 kms without running out of gas tho, I thaught he was going to run out and I'd have to drain some out of the supertanker klr lol, the trip was longer than expected.

I've found most four stroke dirt bikes reguardless of motor size get about 50 mpg while riding on the road or easy open offroading, my klr does, my wrr does, friends 450s do, its more about pushing a non areo dynamic tall bike down the road than what motors in it.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 3:28 am

Biglake wrote:
Since they put ethanol in pump gas everything gets a few less mpgs, 60-70 mpg might be possible on good ehtanol free gas if you can find it.

I ride mostly offroad and to have fun not save gas so my mpg are pretty low.

I took a guy for a kinda easy offroad ride a couple of weeks ago, he was on a stock wrr, I took my klr650 (I thaught other klrs were coming), we burnt about the same amount of gas lol. He did make it 157 kms without running out of gas tho, I thaught he was going to run out and I'd have to drain some out of the supertanker klr lol, the trip was longer than expected.

I've found most four stroke dirt bikes reguardless of motor size get about 50 mpg while riding on the road or easy open offroading, my klr does, my wrr does, friends 450s do, its more about pushing a non areo dynamic tall bike down the road than what motors in it.

60+ is easily possible if you stay under 60mph. Even with my commute being mostly 65mph I still get 58-61mpg... but one trip across town on the loop at 70-75mph and I'm into the mid 50s. Best mileage I ever got on it was before I knew about the speedometer error lol. Hence I was driving about 8mph slower than I am now at all times and the fuel mileage was consistent mid to high 60s.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 5:24 am

oic0 wrote:
60+ is easily possible

Yeah.....um....... no. amazon hide Suspect Shog 

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
raymondhenson

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 11:26 am

Did 200 miles total hwy (65mph) and another 200 miles off-road (ave 45mph) in 2 days. Mostly flat elevations.  Spent 60mpg.  13-46 gearing, Kenda270s, PCV + Autotune, Muffler redone by Ramz, carrying about 195 lbs (rider and gear).

Best .... Raymond
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 2:18 am

Just did 140 miles the other day doing a loop near Glacier National Park, some slab but mostly national forest/parks gravel roads.  Took 2.05 gallons to fill 'er up... you do the math.  The guy on the 500cc KTM got even better fuel economy, which I commented on elsewhere.  My bike is carrying about 225 once I have me and all my stuff aboard.

This kind of riding does not involve twisting the throttle for fun, lofting the front end, etc.  And the tires are at their full pressure as I don't need to air down.  Riding styles, tires and pressures, etc have a lot to do with how many miles you get out of a tank - but I assume we all already know this.  If you have fun riding whatever way you do, don't worry about it.
Back to top Go down
crashmaster

crashmaster

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 10:32 am

Well, then something is not right with the fueling on my bike or something has changed with the fueling map.   2013 R, bone stock right from the floor, slab, 55-60 mph (speedo indicated), flat, little wind, short shifting, 200 lbs max with gear, tires 28/34, I have not been able to get better than 60-61. Just tried it again today, 88 miles to the light, around 59 mpg.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 11:37 am

crashmaster wrote:
Well, then something is not right with the fueling on my bike or something has changed with the fueling map.   2013 R, bone stock right from the floor, slab, 55-60 mph (speedo indicated), flat, little wind, short shifting, 200 lbs max with gear, tires 28/34, I have not been able to get better than 60-61. Just tried it again today, 88 miles to the light, around 59 mpg.

You get better mpg's than I do.

I never get over 55 mpg and am usually much closer to 50 mpg.

But I get it with a smile on my face Peace YAM 

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 12:36 pm

crashmaster wrote:

If hes doing national forests, I dunno about up there but down here the speed limit is 25mph on park roads. The slower she goes the better her mileage since aerodynamics is her main hurdle. At a displayed 55-60, 60mpg isn't far off. My bike would be in that range depending on wind, hills, and gas. Winter blend gas has about 1.7% less energy, 10% ethanol knocks off another 3.3%. Winter gas with ethanol will knock a chunk off your mileage!.
Back to top Go down
crashmaster

crashmaster

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 6:11 pm

Thanks for the replies folks.  Well see what happens when I load it up, air it down, bumping off the rev limiter on the trails.  

My guess is upper 40's, lower 50's.  Range is pretty important where I ride this bike, dirt or pavement, doesn't matter.  So I'm trying to get a feel for what I can expect under different riding conditions.  

Where I ride, a 200+ mile range is almost essential to do any serious exploring.  I reckon with 4 gallons I'll probably be in the 190-240 range dependent upon conditions.  That will work.  I tried out a bike with the 4.7 IMS.  Too wide for my tastes.  Makes it difficult for me to get my crotch over the gas tank to make the front wheel stick.

I'm going to try out the 3 gal IMS and carry a 1 gal or 1.75 gal rotopax and see how that works out.
Back to top Go down
mekros

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 4:07 pm

Commuting to work and back roughly 12km one way I get 3.85L/100km (61mpg for you imperialists poser2 )
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 10:09 am

my first gal used I went 70 miles and used 1.026, that was 68 mpg

My first tank, back and forth to work this week. 85 miles low fuel light came on and rode to 114 miles and filed with 1.808 gal. 63MPG

Back to top Go down
rico2wheels

PostSubject: Mileage game -    Fuel Mileage - Page 7 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 1:30 pm

The mileage game:
Here’s my two cents worth…my WR is stock, and I currently have 27,000 miles on my bike, and for what it’s worth just did a valve check at 26k miles and valves well within factory specs and compression too, cams looked like new…only use full syn Motorex oil (full syn oils make an engine run much smother, cheap oils cheap results) , change the oil generally at every 3-5k, bike uses no oil at all, premium fuel only, X-ring chains (these chains reduce friction about 50%)…I generally ride this bike 200 to 400 miles a week, use it on the job to measure fiber optic projects.
Mostly I’m getting 60-75 mpg running on both asphalt and dirt, sometimes as high as 78 mpg. On a recent trip from Flagstaff AZ, to Los Angeles Ca, running on Interstate 10 at 65/70 MPH, the throttle was pinned most of the way, bike was getting 50-55MPG, encountering head winds and hills.
BTW I have ridden this great little bike (wish they made a WR450R) all over the western US and western Canada, flogged it off road.  This is not my only bike as I have a KTM 990 (38-48 mpg) and a Suzuki Wee Strom (50-65 mpg) also.  Tires (mine are usually Bridgestone Trail Wings), tire pressure ( I run 28f/28r psi on road-12f/10r off road or a combination ride 18/16psi), rider, speed, fuel blends (winter vs summer) all make up the mileage game in my old eyes.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fuel Mileage
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next