Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Adding electrical accessories

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jersey Devil

Jersey Devil

Adding electrical accessories Empty
PostSubject: Adding electrical accessories   Adding electrical accessories EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 3:43 pm

I am wanting to add some electrical accessories but do not want to add any more stuff to my battey terminals.

Right now I run a power supply from my battery along my stock harness up to my tank bag. In the tank bag I have the cigarrette lighter style plug. I plug my GPS into it or my cell phone charger but can't do both. The main cord from the battery has the 2 prong adapter to hook to a Battery Tender or other item with similar plug.
Is there any way to improve upon this?
When I get the extra capacity fuel tank I am gonna remove my tank bag. Then I'll be stuck dealing with the extra cord length from the GPS and / or phone charger.

Dont think hard wiring the GPS is an option unless someone makes a cord for this.
Then again if I want to run another accessory how do I do this with out making the terminals over loaded with wire and terminal ends?

Run some leads and add another fuse box someplace?

Just wondering how to do this without making it sloppy or harmful to the bike. I dont run heated gear so that load wont be there. Other items may just be an air pump if needed.
Back to top Go down
mcwbyu82

PostSubject: Re: Adding electrical accessories   Adding electrical accessories EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 11:20 pm

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/Fuseboxes/3_Circuit/3_circuit.html

Awesome high quality product. Just installed mine last week and have my heated grips, Powerlet socket and gps runnign on it.
Cant go wrong
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Adding electrical accessories   Adding electrical accessories EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 2:04 am

Jersey Devil wrote:
Dont think hard wiring the GPS is an option unless someone makes a cord for this.
You've gotten the accepted best solution to the general wiring already.

Reference the GPS, many handheld recreational GPS units can be hardwired. There's lots of instructions and diagrams on the Internet for those who are less than electronic gurus, so if you can't find the ready made part, it may not be too hard to find plans to make your own.

A lot of people DON'T hard wire their handheld GPS - it's another wire to get caught and ripped out, another entry point for water, etc. Some people have reported that if they don't hard wire, their GPS turns off and on as it loses power due to batteries jiggling around and briefly losing contact. I have never had that problem in all the GPS units I've used, but those who have report they can easily fix that problem by putting a piece of firm foam between the batteries and the battery port cover - stops any movement.

Then they have their spare batteries on a charger on a tank bag or tail bag. No extra wires hanging out on the handlebars, just a wire running into a tank or tail bag.

That's the approach I prefer, but whatever works for you.
Back to top Go down
Jersey Devil

Jersey Devil

PostSubject: Re: Adding electrical accessories   Adding electrical accessories EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks for the info!! Will do my best to get something going here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adding electrical accessories   Adding electrical accessories Empty

Back to top Go down

Adding electrical accessories
Page 1 of 1