Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

PC-5 & Autotune water resistant?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PC-5 & Autotune water resistant? Empty
PostSubject: PC-5 & Autotune water resistant?   PC-5 & Autotune water resistant? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 6:10 am

Dynojet recommends installing the PC-5 and Autotune modules in the headlight cowling, just below the headlight, which is where I installed mine. I am concerned though that in a storm that they are likely to get wet. Because of this I don't even think about riding the X if there is any chance of rain.

Has anyone had experience riding in the rain with their PC-5/Autotune combo mounted in this location?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: PC-5 & Autotune water resistant?   PC-5 & Autotune water resistant? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 8:01 am

Pretty sure the unit itself is water-tight and nothing to worry about.

Especially if they recommend putting it in a specific place - you'd be completely covered covered under the product guarantee right?

What I would not want to do is put $400-$600 dollars worth of easily steal-able - and highly attractive stuff, like the PCV and AT, in such a convenient place. Like right behind the headlight shroud.

That stuff would be under the seat on my X.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: PC-5 & Autotune water resistant?   PC-5 & Autotune water resistant? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 8:34 am

motokid wrote:
What I would not want to do is put $400-$600 dollars worth of easily steal-able - and highly attractive stuff, like the PCV and AT, in such a convenient place. Like right behind the headlight shroud.

That stuff would be under the seat on my X.
I'm not so worried about that. The combo is not visible. Shroud would have to be removed to access it.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: PC-5 & Autotune water resistant?   PC-5 & Autotune water resistant? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 8:43 am

Pretty sure that shroud would come off with a half-hearted yank.

Post a picture of where your stuff is mounted. I can't picture in my head where you have it.

(I'd still want my stuff under my seat. Right where my EFI unit is.) Very happy

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: PC-5 & Autotune water resistant?   PC-5 & Autotune water resistant? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 8:57 am

motokid wrote:
Pretty sure that shroud would come off with a half-hearted yank.

No pics. You obviously already know too much! Very happy

Back to my original query. I'm concerned about water intrusion. PC-5/Autotune owners?
Back to top Go down
WRXer

PostSubject: Re: PC-5 & Autotune water resistant?   PC-5 & Autotune water resistant? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 1:25 pm

You should be more concerned wth the constant back & forth of the handlebars breaking the wiring over time. A FMF user here has reported that. Mine is under the seat.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: PC-5 & Autotune water resistant?   PC-5 & Autotune water resistant? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 2:07 pm

WRXer wrote:
You should be more concerned wth the constant back & forth of the handlebars breaking the wiring over time. A FMF user here has reported that. Mine is under the seat.

Anticipating that that could be an issue, I secured the wires in a manner to minimize the possibility of that becoming a problem. I'll not lose any sleep over it. I'm much more concerned with water getting into either of the two units. Regardless, thank you for your observation.
Back to top Go down
usgpru27

PostSubject: Re: PC-5 & Autotune water resistant?   PC-5 & Autotune water resistant? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 7:31 pm

I mounted mine the same as you.. It was a little tight but its in. I actually put the auto tune next to the headlight. I see them as very watertight. The area I was concerned about was where the switch wires go in but they poke through some sort of soft rubber material. I have no worries about it. For others that suggest mounting under the seat its a PITA to take the seat off if you want to pug in.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: PC-5 & Autotune water resistant?   PC-5 & Autotune water resistant? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 7:54 pm

usgpru27 wrote:
I mounted mine the same as you.. It was a little tight but its in. I actually put the auto tune next to the headlight. I see them as very watertight. The area I was concerned about was where the switch wires go in but they poke through some sort of soft rubber material. I have no worries about it. For others that suggest mounting under the seat its a PITA to take the seat off if you want to pug in.

Thanks. Have you ridden in the rain with it?
Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

PostSubject: Re: PC-5 & Autotune water resistant?   PC-5 & Autotune water resistant? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 8:23 pm

i had my pcv zip tied under the stock wire harness clump under the instrument cluster....above my headlight. Ive never had a problem with it. I tend to get caught in alot of short or sometimes down pours here. I've since moved to the pc3 and mounted in the airbox, where i know it has the least chance of water getting to it. i'll see if i can dig up an old pic of my pcv mounted.....

Last edited by little squirt on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
usgpru27

PostSubject: Re: PC-5 & Autotune water resistant?   PC-5 & Autotune water resistant? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 8:44 pm

Bob... no.. just started it up the other day.. Its Freezing here still.. I am trying to get the tables and such figured out. But I don't have any concerns with the water issue. The unit should be designed for water.. Its an open air unit.
Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

PostSubject: Re: PC-5 & Autotune water resistant?   PC-5 & Autotune water resistant? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 9:09 pm

heres where i had my pc v mounted. i liked it above rather than under headlight, easy access to plug in the usb wire too

PC-5 & Autotune water resistant? 2-9
Back to top Go down
usgpru27

PostSubject: Re: PC-5 & Autotune water resistant?   PC-5 & Autotune water resistant? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 9:15 pm

How about your auto-tune.. That is a nice install.. mine is below the light. It was the autotune I had trouble with mounting..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PC-5 & Autotune water resistant?   PC-5 & Autotune water resistant? Empty

Back to top Go down

PC-5 & Autotune water resistant?
Page 1 of 1