Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Did autotune really help/change anything?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Gundy

Did autotune really help/change anything? Empty
PostSubject: Did autotune really help/change anything?   Did autotune really help/change anything? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 10:19 pm

So my Dynojet Autotune arrived today. Before I get things to a point where they cannot be returned, I need to ask: Did auto tune actually make a difference in power, mpg, both, or neither? I am running a megabomb+Q4 combo with the flapper removed and the airbox a little more open. Originally got the autotune so I could create maps for the different inserts (small diameter 1-1/8", standard spark arrester, no insert). Now I am getting second thoughts, partially because wiring everything up and getting a bung welded seems like a PITA. Going back to stock and using the provided PCV map seems tempting.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Did autotune really help/change anything?   Did autotune really help/change anything? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 12:33 am

Stock + PCV w/ Autotune is barely noticable. Don't do that. I tried it. It's lame.

I got the PCV when I was all still stock, for the most part. I removed the AIS and flapper, but otherwise the engine stuff was stock. I tried the stock map and couldn't tell much, if any, difference. It wasn't until I removed the airbox door that I felt a gain.

Some time later I bought the exhaust and Autotune together.

Gains from the Autotune depend on how far off your map is. If it's way off you'll see better gains. If it's close, the gains will be marginal. What I like about the Autotune is that it constantly adjusts for atmospheric conditions. I set up the target AFR's in the software, and whether it's 50 degrees or 90 degrees those ratios are what I get. In other words, I'm getting the most power I can all the time. There's a setting for the Autotune that limits the adjustment it can make. If it reaches that limit the only way to go further is to accept trims and let the Autotune start over. There's an explanation in the manual somewhere about it. I left mine at +/- 20 for a couple months, but have since backed it down to +/- 15. My map is close enough now that I only get small trim numbers.
Back to top Go down
Gundy

PostSubject: Re: Did autotune really help/change anything?   Did autotune really help/change anything? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 4:36 am

Good to know, thanks. It sounds like you enjoy it on the whole. Are you running an aftermarket header? Where did you weld in the sensor?

I have a stock exhaust setup getting shipped to me, so I'm going to give the "stock+no air lid" map a try. The power with my current setup is solid, and autotune no doubt would help it sounds like, but i am a fan of being stealthy too. Decisions, decisions.....
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Did autotune really help/change anything?   Did autotune really help/change anything? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 1:34 pm

I've got the Graves system which is a complete exhaust. It came with a bung welded in already, but the location is probably as good as it gets.
More discussion on it's location here.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did autotune really help/change anything?   Did autotune really help/change anything? Empty

Back to top Go down

Did autotune really help/change anything?
Page 1 of 1