Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Tachometer

Go down 
+8
CaptTurbo
cb550fan
Chrispy1200
0007onWR
vwsandman
Goggles Pisano
SheWolf
lotsofwheels
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
lotsofwheels

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 9:21 pm

Has anyone seen an analog tach that will work on the R²? I'm not fond of digital tachs.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 10:04 pm

I haven't seen anything yet; the pickup is hard to get off the coil/plug cover. You have to either splice into the wire, or wrap a wire around the slug cap under the coil for anything to be picked up.

Goggles Pisano

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 10:20 pm

I have been working on developing a Formula One-style tach with sequential LEDs (not digits). It's still in breadboard form but If there's enough interest I could produce them in quantity...
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 10:25 pm

Sounds awesome, Goggles! thumb I'd be up for that.

vwsandman

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: F1 style tach!   Tachometer EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 10:33 pm

Me too, I had though of putting this right above the top edge of the instrument cluster, maybe 1/4 wide and the length of the cluster...is that what you were thinking about as well? It is on my to do list as well, but you may have saved me some time and effort, very interested to see what you come up with! thumb
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 11:07 pm

I would be interested too
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 11:11 pm

I'm guessing the sequential system would involve something like green, orange and red, giving certain numbers of LED's per sequence?

vwsandman

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 12:37 am

That was my thought as well...green to amber to red....

If it was made to install on top of the cluster, I would be all over that...so it looked OEM...
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 8:24 am

Interested here, too............
Back to top Go down
Goggles Pisano

Goggles Pisano

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 12:16 pm

vwsandman wrote:
Me too, I had though of putting this right above the top edge of the instrument cluster, maybe 1/4 wide and the length of the cluster...is that what you were thinking about as well?

SheWolf wrote:
I'm guessing the sequential system would involve
something like green, orange and red, giving certain numbers of LED's
per sequence?

Yes and yes.

Since Radio Shack has become pretty much worthless for providing chips and Electronic Surplus moved way out of town I need to make a road trip to Mentor tomorrow to get the parts I need. Looking forward to the first 70°+ day of the year!

I'll keep you folks posted on my progress...
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 3:42 pm

Good stuff, Goggles! thumb Looking forward to the progress reports. There WILL be progress reports and pics, right? wink

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Sounds great   Tachometer EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 10:02 pm

Good idea. How many LED's are you planning on? Would you cover the whole rpm range or do something like cover between say 4 and 11 K rpm?

Looks like we're all hoping for pictures.
Back to top Go down
Goggles Pisano

Goggles Pisano

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 7:16 pm

SheWolf wrote:
There WILL be progress reports and pics, right? wink

Update #1: I got the stuff...

Tachometer DSC00131

...And couldn't resist exploring an abandoned railroad on the way home:

Tachometer LEandP

I am planning to have a working prototype sometime this weekend. I'm using a pair of LM3914 LED drivers so I can have up to 20 LEDs. I haven't decided exactly how many I'm going to use yet.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 7:55 pm

20? thumb Cyborg R². Very happy

cb550fan

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 am

I'm definitely interested...keep us updated. lurk
Back to top Go down
CaptTurbo

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 2:27 pm

lurk
Back to top Go down
gordo5

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 3:32 pm

+1 lurk
Back to top Go down
Goggles Pisano

Goggles Pisano

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptySat May 02, 2009 1:12 pm

At this point I am faced with a couple of design decisions...

The WR's rev limiter kicks in at 11,500 rpm. I really don't see a need to measure anything higher, so that will be the top of the scale - unless someone comes up with a reason to go higher.

I am considering using only 12 of the 20 LED outputs available. The scale would be from 500 to 11,500 in 1,000 rpm increments. Does this sound good to you folks, or should I use all 20 LEDs?
Back to top Go down
vwsandman

vwsandman

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptySat May 02, 2009 1:19 pm

12 is more than enough, Three colors right? I would say six green, three amber, three red would work....although I think the F1 guys use different colors now that they all have the common Microsoft ECU...looks like blue, purple, red...or something like that....
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: 6 green 4 amber 2 red ?   Tachometer EmptySat May 02, 2009 11:00 pm

vwsandman wrote:
12 is more than enough, Three colors right? I would say six green, three amber, three red would work....although I think the F1 guys use different colors now that they all have the common Microsoft ECU...looks like blue, purple, red...or something like that....
Back to top Go down
cb550fan

cb550fan

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptySun May 03, 2009 7:38 am

Goggles Pisano wrote:
At this point I am faced with a couple of design decisions...

The WR's rev limiter kicks in at 11,500 rpm. I really don't see a need to measure anything higher, so that will be the top of the scale - unless someone comes up with a reason to go higher.

I am considering using only 12 of the 20 LED outputs available. The scale would be from 500 to 11,500 in 1,000 rpm increments. Does this sound good to you folks, or should I use all 20 LEDs?

12 LED's sounds great thumb
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptySun May 03, 2009 10:49 am

I agree, 12 would suffice nicely. 20 might be a little much, and with the 12 it definitely will fit in the little hole up there. The green orange red would be a nice color combo, IMO. thumb

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: +1   Tachometer EmptyWed May 06, 2009 7:13 pm

consider me interested.
Back to top Go down
longtallsally

longtallsally

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyThu May 07, 2009 12:17 pm

Since this is my fiance's bike and I just get to ride it, what she says is what goes. That said, she wants a tach on the bike pretty badly. In doing some simple research, I found this:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642008&highlight=tachometer+wiring

It is on a DRZ, and is designed primarily as a shift light, but the principles remain the same. I've not done a deep dive on the tech of the setup, but it sure does seem pretty cool and definitely doable for dirt cheap with some patience and reference documentation.
Back to top Go down
Goggles Pisano

Goggles Pisano

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyThu May 21, 2009 11:42 am

Sorry for the lack of updates lately...

I finished the layout of the circuit board - next step is to etch a couple of boards, mount the components and test. (photo is roughly 3x actual size)

Tachometer Tach_layout_final

The 12 pairs of pads at the top are where the LEDs will be connected.

I ordered a couple of different project boxes in various sizes. I have not decided which one to use, but the most promising one is a 100mm x 50mm x 21mm size (that's roughly 4 x 2 x 0.8 inches for the metrically-challenged).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer Empty

Back to top Go down

Tachometer
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next