Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Tachometer

Go down 
+4
vwsandman
Jäger
motokid
wrrfever
8 posters
AuthorMessage
wrrfever

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptySun May 01, 2011 12:24 pm

sorry if i did this wrong, im new to this forum thing. Does anyone know of an aftermarket tachometer for the wr? I just bought a new 2011, and am going to start mods.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptySun May 01, 2011 1:15 pm

You don't need a tach.

There's a rev limiter.

You'll get used to where the redline is quickly and never miss the tach option after a short period of time.

Just ride her like you stole her and don't worry about what rpm you're at.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
wrrfever

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptySun May 01, 2011 1:23 pm

thanks,
Also, i cant seem to find many parts for the 2011. Do you know of any changes that were made from the factory? Or will everything for the 2010 fit the 2011?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptySun May 01, 2011 1:54 pm

Anything will fit the 2011 that fits all 2008-2011 models.

I've not heard of one change to any model year that sets one apart from all the rest.

edit to add.....just make sure you're not ordering things/parts for wr250F's. F models are different.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
wrrfever

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptySun May 01, 2011 2:58 pm

awesome! thanks for your help
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptySun May 01, 2011 4:44 pm

I assume that if I'm wrong the other forum members will chime in at any time..............................................

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyMon May 02, 2011 12:13 am

wrrfever wrote:
awesome! thanks for your help
I'll second Motokid in saying that a tach on a WRR is an ingenious solution to a nonexistent problem.

It has a rev limiter. The engine is at its best revving high. The rev limiter works. So don't worry about it, let the engine do its thing.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyMon May 02, 2011 6:22 am

As I was riding yesterday I came to the conclusion that adding a tachometer might actually be dangerous.

I'm not a tall guy at all. 5'8" on my best day.

The seating position, and the proximity of the instrument cluster on the X makes it almost distracting to do anything more than make quick glances.

The thought of adding something more to pay attention to in that area means taking your eyes off the road for longer periods of time.

I just think the idea of a tachometer on this bike is really useless and potentially dangerous after really thinking about it yesterday while riding.

While doing some back road railing, I never took my eyes off the road. Never had any clue what speed I was going.
The only time I every really try to focus on the instrument cluster is when I'm in a known speed trap area of certain towns, or there are actually
police cars around. Other than that I either go the prevailing speed of those around me, or I just don't give a damn.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
vwsandman

vwsandman

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Tachometer.... not as useless as you might think....   Tachometer EmptyMon May 02, 2011 8:22 pm

I am adding one, this one in fact: Trail Tech Why? So I can note the engine RPM when I work on the Engine Map on my Power Commander III. Hard to adjust the map when I am just guessing on the engine spped. I like this small unit as it does hours as well which will help with maint schedules. The price was right at under $50, and it is so small it mounts right on the OEM instrument cluster right below the speedo. I will post up pics and review the performance when I get it installed latter this week. My only wish is that it was back lit, but for this price, not a big deal.

thumb
Back to top Go down
deep blue

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:00 pm

I wish my X had a tach. It's a street bike and every street bike I've ever owned, lost count how many, had a tach. I bang off the rev limiter once in a while. I'm surely not worried about engine damage or anything like that however seeing engine RPMs is pretty important in my opinion. My current 09 GSXR has tons of info on it's dash and has never distracted my riding, so I definetly don't think having one on my little X would cause any trouble. I really would have liked a simple rev counter somewhere in the existing little display. Nothing major, no shift light. LOL! I sure would like it better than the clock!

vwsandman...that looks like a cool little unit. For under 50 bucks, you probably can't go wrong. Post a few pics after you get it and let us know how you like it.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyMon May 02, 2011 10:10 pm

This is what I have.

Tachometer IMG_1301

motokid

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyTue May 03, 2011 5:34 am

deep blue wrote:
however seeing engine RPMs is pretty important in my opinion.

Why?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
47une

47une

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyTue May 03, 2011 6:52 am

I got a tacho/hour meter and am yet to install it. Considering our coil mounts direct to the spark plug, how do we wire these in?
Back to top Go down
deep blue

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyTue May 03, 2011 8:15 am

Motokid, I'd like a tach to see lots of things...
What is my idle speed? How many RPMs do I have before I peg the limiter? What is it spinning when I'm on the highway? Every vehicle I have from my wifes car to my pickup to my other bike have tachometers. The pickup is an automatic and still has one! I can't remember the last thing I drove that didn't have one! Could I still drive or ride without them without a tach? Of course!!! The X is one of the most fun bikes I've ever had so I'm not hung up on the issue at all. I will say your post about it being dangerous to have a tach made me laugh out loud! I wouldn't advise anyone to stare at any gauge, or anything else for that matter, so long that it would cause distraction.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyTue May 03, 2011 9:09 am

deep blue wrote:
Motokid, I'd like a tach to see lots of things...
What is my idle speed? How many RPMs do I have before I peg the limiter? What is it spinning when I'm on the highway? Every vehicle I have from my wifes car to my pickup to my other bike have tachometers. The pickup is an automatic and still has one! I can't remember the last thing I drove that didn't have one! Could I still drive or ride without them without a tach? Of course!!! The X is one of the most fun bikes I've ever had so I'm not hung up on the issue at all. I will say your post about it being dangerous to have a tach made me laugh out loud! I wouldn't advise anyone to stare at any gauge, or anything else for that matter, so long that it would cause distraction.

You've taken what I said a bit out of context, but that's cool.
Especially when comparing an automobile configuration to our r/x.

Use the search feature and search "taco".

You do have the ability to find out lots of rpm knowledge on your stock instruments.

rpm's just before redline - about 11,000

Happy Tuesday.

amazon

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
deep blue

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyTue May 03, 2011 9:50 am

Motokid, I've seen some info on jumping a connector that puts the dash into a type of 'test or diagnostic' mode, which also shows RPMs. I haven't done this but am curious about it. I also saw a clip on YouTube of someone doing it. I think this mode also shows some other engine info. I'm not sure if you can ride around in that mode safely. It looked cool to try but I obviously don't want to accidentally change any engine settings. Do you or any other member have any info about full time use of that mode? I'll try to search more on it later, but maybe someone can just jump in.

Edit... Nevermind moto, I just read the 'taco' posts. Looks like a cool thing to do for a bit, but nothing permanent. Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
Pineapplehead

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 11:02 am

vwsandman wrote:
I am adding one, this one in fact: Trail Tech Why? So I can note the engine RPM when I work on the Engine Map on my Power Commander III. Hard to adjust the map when I am just guessing on the engine spped. I like this small unit as it does hours as well which will help with maint schedules. The price was right at under $50, and it is so small it mounts right on the OEM instrument cluster right below the speedo. I will post up pics and review the performance when I get it installed latter this week. My only wish is that it was back lit, but for this price, not a big deal.

thumb

Sandman, did you ever get this installed? Which part number did you use?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tachometer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tachometer   Tachometer Empty

Back to top Go down

Tachometer
Page 1 of 1