Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

More IMS 4.5 installs

Go down 
+43
dnf
josh
Arkmage
bhd1223
simmons1
Jäger
bfgjohno
silentwolf
Scharcon
simonpig
Huron52
47une
The Breeze
bsheet2
Muddyrabbit
No~One
mordicai
foofighter
Crooked Creek
PYG RYDR
Justlookin
yaw
jeickerman
ramz
adamoto
Rider_WV
rydnseek
dysco
vasculopath
TierHawg
titanpilot
kjharn
mwgak
speedfiend
GsVs
toast
trinc4me
SheWolf
David Haynes
DougZ
trav72
EnderTheX
joenuclear
47 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
joenuclear

joenuclear

More IMS 4.5 installs Empty
PostSubject: More IMS 4.5 installs   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptySat May 07, 2011 1:59 am

I know there are more out there. Lets see them!
Back to top Go down
EnderTheX

PostSubject: Re: More IMS 4.5 installs   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptySun May 08, 2011 10:19 pm

joenuclear wrote:
I know there are more out there. Lets see them!

Here here!! I want to see the details of installation more than the finished bike pics... Someone help us out and post up a step by step!
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: More IMS 4.5 installs   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptyTue May 10, 2011 8:11 pm

Natural tank received and installed! Put some gas in it and it started right up. So far no leaks. We'll see what happens on my commute tomorrow.

Note: I had a helluva time getting the seat installed. I had to cut out a little bit in the front slot to get it forward enough so I could get the seat bolts in.

(I have a white fender and headlight shroud on the way.)

More IMS 4.5 installs Img-2010
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: More IMS 4.5 installs   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptyTue May 10, 2011 8:35 pm

OK, so who has a replaced 3.1 gallon ready to sell cheap. Very happy
Back to top Go down
David Haynes

David Haynes

PostSubject: Received and installed my 4.75 today...   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptyTue May 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Think I'm really gonna like it!
More IMS 4.5 installs P1060106-L

Detailed pix, captions of install:

http://gsbs.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/IMS-475-gallon-tank-install-on/16996402_pSvmxj#1285886834_vF3SSXB
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: More IMS 4.5 installs   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptyTue May 10, 2011 10:23 pm

Did you put fuel marks on there?

David Haynes

PostSubject: Fuel marks   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptyWed May 11, 2011 1:40 am

SheWolf wrote:
Did you put fuel marks on there?

Yup... first fill-up, I put her in the back of the truck and drove the the local gas station. Stopped the pump after each gallon pumped and marked. She held exactly 4.819 gallons (see photo captions in link above for details).
Back to top Go down
EnderTheX

PostSubject: Re: More IMS 4.5 installs   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptyWed May 11, 2011 2:23 pm

David Haynes wrote:

http://gsbs.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/IMS-475-gallon-tank-install-on/16996402_pSvmxj#1285886834_vF3SSXB

Very cool!! This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the detailed install tips and pictures! Now I just need mine to arrive......
Back to top Go down
trinc4me

PostSubject: Re: More IMS 4.5 installs   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptyThu May 12, 2011 9:08 pm

David Haynes wrote:

Very nicely done! My tank is on it's way so this will be a huge help..... thumb
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: More IMS 4.5 installs   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptyThu May 12, 2011 10:34 pm

David Haynes wrote:

How much riding does the R get over the 950?
Back to top Go down
toast

PostSubject: Re: More IMS 4.5 installs   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptyFri May 13, 2011 12:14 pm

Helper pump throws a lot of gas around inside the tank

More IMS 4.5 installs Img0052sa

Vacuum line run is very sano with the cutout

More IMS 4.5 installs Img0053zo

More IMS 4.5 installs Img0054uf

More IMS 4.5 installs Img0055vwd

More IMS 4.5 installs Img0057sn

More IMS 4.5 installs Img0056ge
Back to top Go down
GsVs

PostSubject: pics   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptyFri May 13, 2011 12:22 pm

Hey toast ...

Thanks for the pictures of the Black IMS thumb

.... can you take a couple more ?? Looking straight on from the sides ??

GsVs ....
Back to top Go down
toast

PostSubject: Re: More IMS 4.5 installs   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptyFri May 13, 2011 12:28 pm

More IMS 4.5 installs Img0058ns
More IMS 4.5 installs Img0060gt
Back to top Go down
GsVs

PostSubject: Side pics   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptyFri May 13, 2011 12:53 pm

that was quick ....

Thanks !! thumb
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: More IMS 4.5 installs   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptyFri May 13, 2011 1:56 pm

Looks great, Toast! cheers

PostSubject: Re: More IMS 4.5 installs   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptyFri May 13, 2011 2:05 pm

remove the 2 8mm bolts under the rear fender and remove the seat

remove 2 philips head screws that were under seat holding the tops of the side panels

pull rear of side panels straight out to unclip then slide forward to unclip from gas tank

remove the 2 5mm allen bolts in left front facing panel and lift it off the hook thing, don't lose bushings

remove the 3 5mm allen bolts holding the gas tank, flip it to the left side and tie it to the handlebars and frame with string and disconnect the fuel hose and power connector--

--just the one forward tab on the electrical connector needs depressed with a fingertip and the plug will come off, all the other crap was for a protective cage and wasted my time and pissed me off

slide the fuel connector cover aside and depress the 2 blue buttons and pull hose off

untie tank and set upside-down beside upside down 4.7 tank

remove bunch of 3mm allen bolts and lift out pump assembly

remove old gasket and clean whole assembly with rags, brake cleaner or starting fluid; teabag type filter had a lot of brown crud, I flushed it out with brake cleaner and then starting fluid, it didn't look replaceable except maybe with a special tool

put on new o-ring

gotta be careful cinching that tube with the zip ties, it's pretty soft

place assembly into new tank and bolt down

remove mounting brackets from old tank and put onto new tank, 2 pairs of 8mm bolts

NOTE NOTE NOTE: Tap into vaccuum line behind the frame crosspiece, not where IMS pointer points, fucking dumb fucks, I had to use my gas cap vent line to reach the tank fitting and got some gasoline cologne on the test ride

bolt down tank

remove seat keeper post from old tank and put on new tank-(large philips)

bolt down seat, took some levering and forcing but I got it done

fill and ride, I put 4.753 gal into a 5 gal container and the tank had a little space to spare

5 mile test ride everything seemed good

could reinstall left front black panel but it fits poorly so I left it off for now

I think 2 hours should be plenty of time to do this job

I'll get pics up soon

here yare:

More IMS 4.5 installs Yclefrontbefore2

More IMS 4.5 installs Yclefrontzafter2

More IMS 4.5 installs Yclerearbefore2

More IMS 4.5 installs Yclerearzafter2

More IMS 4.5 installs Yclesidezafter2

Back to top Go down
mwgak

PostSubject: Fuel level sensor   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptyFri May 13, 2011 6:51 pm

Any of you moving the fuel level sensor down? If so, how low, and what kind of burn are you seeing before the light?

i.e. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13378268&postcount=15554

Last edited by mwgak on Fri May 13, 2011 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

PostSubject: Re: More IMS 4.5 installs   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptyFri May 13, 2011 6:59 pm

Any reason you guys aren't using the overflow vent line?
Back to top Go down
speedfiend

PostSubject: Re: More IMS 4.5 installs   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptyFri May 13, 2011 7:45 pm

Read my howto. I finally put the vacuum line onto the cap vent and it reached the steering hole ok though it might not stay.
Back to top Go down
toast

PostSubject: Re: More IMS 4.5 installs   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptyFri May 13, 2011 8:25 pm

speedfiend, are those mefo explorers on your WR? How do you like them? I'm driving the knobs right off the front D606, need something a little more street but still want some dirt grip.

Back to top Go down
speedfiend

PostSubject: Re: More IMS 4.5 installs   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptyFri May 13, 2011 9:11 pm

They're just cheapo kenda 270's. I'm not very demanding in my old age so I really can't say how good they are.
Back to top Go down
titanpilot

PostSubject: Re: More IMS 4.5 installs   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptyFri May 13, 2011 9:18 pm

Thanks for the pictures everyone. It will help with my decision Very happy
Back to top Go down
TierHawg

PostSubject: Re: More IMS 4.5 installs   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptySat May 14, 2011 4:48 pm

speedfiend,

Thanks for the simple instructions. My blue tank shipped on 5/12, so I'll be going thru the install soon.

Have another question about those Kenda K270's you are running. What size did you go with front and rear? I'm thinking real hard about getting a set myself. My WR'R has turned into a commuter bike this summer, and I'm needing a set of tires that are 50/50. I had a set of the K270's on an old DR250S and they worked well for me in the local terrain.

Back to top Go down
speedfiend

PostSubject: Re: More IMS 4.5 installs   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptySat May 14, 2011 6:24 pm

K-270 3.25-21, 4.50-18

I bought them years ago for my XR400 so they might not be the exact right size for the WRR but I haven't had any problems.

I had a '93 DRS-250 long ago, pretty feeble bike and just letting tire pressure get low would slow it down a lot.

EDIT: I see rockymountainatvmc calls for 2.75x21 ($37.99) and 120/80x18 ($49.99) on their tires page. (Why can't they just pick one size code already?) About time to restock my basement with tires and this seems like a good price. Used to get about 5k miles rear and 10k front on my XR400.

Last edited by speedfiend on Fri May 20, 2011 12:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
vasculopath

PostSubject: Trouble after install today.   More IMS 4.5 installs EmptySun May 15, 2011 3:11 pm

So Last fall, the fuel Pump in my 08 started to go. I ordered a new pump and waited for the IMS Large tank to come out. Got the tank last week, install went without a hitch, but the bike won't start. When I turn on the Key, I am not hearing any noise from the fuel pump...So electrical right? Disconnected the electrical plug from the tank, and when they key is turned, it gives a low fuel light on the panel...So there must be some connection going on, because the fuel sensor must be picking up. Plugged the old fuel pump in for kicks and no noise from it when the key is turned on either. I'm a bit stumped.

Any Suggestions?

I also did the airbox flapper mod at the same time, but that shouldn't have caused any thing like this...

Any Help appreciated. I had a window to take a ride with the kids out of the house with Mom this afternoon...bummer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More IMS 4.5 installs   More IMS 4.5 installs Empty

Back to top Go down

More IMS 4.5 installs
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: Sweet Mods & Bike Accessories-
Jump to: