Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Exhaust Smell

Go down 
+3
motokid
SheWolf
craigq
7 posters
AuthorMessage
craigq

craigq

Exhaust Smell Empty
PostSubject: Exhaust Smell   Exhaust Smell EmptyThu May 12, 2011 5:03 pm

Stock bike, AIS intact, OEM exhaust etc.

There's the slight smell of exhaust on the backpack and back of the jacket after riding. I've read a bit online, this seems to be a common "feature" of bikes with high-mount or undertail exhausts. Anyone else experiencing this ?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Exhaust Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Smell   Exhaust Smell EmptyThu May 12, 2011 5:23 pm

All the time...along with copious amounts of road/trail matter including cow pies, swamp grass, and MUD. Very happy

motokid

Exhaust Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Smell   Exhaust Smell EmptyThu May 12, 2011 5:33 pm

Loves me a dirty girl....

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

Exhaust Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Smell   Exhaust Smell EmptyThu May 12, 2011 8:00 pm

Doesn't surprise me, I can't smell that on my gear but when I had a 2 stroke TDR250 I used to get tiny blobs of black exhaust goop on the back of my jacket when I rung it's neck
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Exhaust Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Smell   Exhaust Smell EmptyFri May 13, 2011 2:22 am

SheWolf wrote:
All the time...along with copious amounts of road/trail matter including cow pies, swamp grass, and MUD. Very happy

Either way, the scent STILL has to be better riding behind you.

To the OP: As you ride there is a vacuum created behind you. POsitive pressure builds in front and as you push the air in front of you, there is a negative pressure created behind you.

As such, the fumes from the exhaust are drawn back in and around your rear in an eddy current effect. That is reason for the fumes you detect.

The higher the exhaust the more pronounced the fume recycling behind you will be. ...otherwise the draft below the bike will draw the fumes down and out of the eddy current.

Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

Exhaust Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Smell   Exhaust Smell EmptyWed May 18, 2011 9:25 am

X-Racer + 1 thumb Also road salt seems to get kicked up/vacuumed into the back of my jacket. Almost ruined the leather patches on my otherwise excellent Weise 'Psycho' jacket: http://www.weise-clothing.co.uk/weise_2011/jackets/psycho.html budah
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Exhaust Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Smell   Exhaust Smell EmptyWed May 18, 2011 6:29 pm

Humpfh.... Never thought about that, but sure. Exact same phenom but different chemicals.

I usually wipe my leathers down with Neetsfoot oil (like baseball glove oil).

...but if you choose to use Neetsfoot oil, make sure you buff the leather good and leave it somewhere where it can get ventilation (say for example you should you store leathers over the winter) because it is organic it will promote mold, especially in warm damp areas.
Back to top Go down
craigq

craigq

Exhaust Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Smell   Exhaust Smell EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 9:33 pm

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but will a tail bag mounted on a luggage rack disrupt the airflow enough to prevent this ? Or will it just make the tail bag stink ?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
wristpin

Exhaust Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Smell   Exhaust Smell EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 6:47 pm

I still have the stock exhaust on my bike and many times when I stop after a ride it smells like burning rubber. Anyone else experience this? I have thoroughly inspected it and all looks o.k, but the smell makes me nervous.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Exhaust Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust Smell   Exhaust Smell Empty

Back to top Go down

Exhaust Smell
Page 1 of 1