Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Water in engine

Go down 
+3
BuilderBob
skierd
promark03
7 posters
AuthorMessage
promark03

promark03

Water in engine Empty
PostSubject: Water in engine   Water in engine EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 12:08 am

Ok, long story short, I have a wr250x that took a dive in some deep water. It sucked up a pretty good amount of water and died. after pulling the spark plug and getting as much water out as possible, I tried starting it again. It would turn over and sound like it wanted to start but wouldn't fire. I have spark, and fuel, but no compression. I had a leak down test done at the shop and the said it had 100% leak down. At this point I am going to just put it in the shop.

I will post what happened once it gets out of the shop.

The first thing I thought of was a cracked head, or blown gasket, but its too hard for me to tell.
Back to top Go down
skierd

Water in engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water in engine   Water in engine EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 12:37 am

Sounds like a good time to get a big bore kit at least. Sucks though, I can't tell you how happy I was when I drowned my WRR that I hit the kill switch before going all the way over...
Back to top Go down
promark03

promark03

Water in engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water in engine   Water in engine EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 9:41 am

Yeah, I was thinking about getting the big bore kit. I just hope I don't have to buy a new head.

Does anyone know if there is a safety mechanism built into the engine for when it gets hydrolocked, like a plug that blows out or something like that?

Also, where is the best place to get to the big bore kit?
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Water in engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water in engine   Water in engine EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 10:53 am

promark03 wrote:
Sorry to hear about your submarine adventure. We've all been there.

I got a pretty decent price on the BB kit on eBay. Around $670 as I recall.
Back to top Go down
DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff

Water in engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water in engine   Water in engine EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 1:45 pm

Found this on my random Craigslist search. Might be of some help to you:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/2418678340.html
Back to top Go down
skierd

Water in engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water in engine   Water in engine EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 1:54 pm

promark03 wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking about getting the big bore kit. I just hope I don't have to buy a new head.

Does anyone know if there is a safety mechanism built into the engine for when it gets hydrolocked, like a plug that blows out or something like that?

lol no there's no safety mechanism, just your piston breaking and/or the rod and maybe crank bending. That would be a killer idea though!
Back to top Go down
promark03

promark03

Water in engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water in engine   Water in engine EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 2:53 pm

Well, the reason I asked if it had some sort of safety mechanism is because I have heard of them being put in newer engines. I don't know too much about this engine yet, because I just got it.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

Water in engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water in engine   Water in engine EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 3:48 pm

The beauty of a leak down test is that it answers all of your questions but it sounds like the dealer did not understand the usage
Air coming out the muffler means exhaust valve is leaking
Air coming out the intake means the intake valve is leaking
Air coming out the crank breather means the rings are leaking

This is a diagnosis that takes seconds to do and I question the tech if he did not provide the info to you, I wonder if they even did it right?
If it was not at TDC of the compression stroke the test is meaningless
100% leak down is unusual and you need to know where the leak is going or the test is a waste of time
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Water in engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water in engine   Water in engine EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 5:14 pm

0007onWR wrote:
This is a diagnosis that takes seconds to do and I question the tech if he did not provide the info to you, I wonder if they even did it right?
Has anybody told you yet how great it is having at least one knowledgeable Yamaha tech who does this for a living here on the website? I mean that generally speaking, not just this one specific instance.
Back to top Go down
promark03

promark03

Water in engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water in engine   Water in engine EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 4:36 pm

Well, I decided to send my engine into Thumper Racing and have them do the 280cc big bore kit, and check and fix anything else that looks bad. I called and talked to them for about 20 minutes and I think that would be my best option.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

Water in engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water in engine   Water in engine EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 5:05 pm

Don't take this the wrong way but, just things that I have seen a whole bunch of times, mostly with snowmobiles but the issue remains the same
Often when someone who has an undiagnosed problem and then does modification they end up with even worse problems
I would hope that they would test and diagnose before tear down, it sounds crazy but a lot of times there seems to be a huge problem with an engine but upon teardown nothing can be found
The last thing you want is to get the engine back and have them say, "oh right, it didn't run when it came in"
You might put the engine back in and find it still won't run and then you are completely lost with no help

If I were you I would try and talk directly with the tech who will be doing the work before he pulls the head off so nothing slips through the cracks
Be real curious what he finds in there and better yet, how that big bore feels once you get it up and running again

Jäger i'm not currently a tech, I was a tech, I also was a service/tech assistance and warranty guy so I have done a lot of picking up of the pieces, I could write a book on what not to do LOL, I have learned to listen to my alarm bells
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Water in engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water in engine   Water in engine EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 6:39 pm

ProMark: After the drain operation you did, and prior to starting attempts, did you ensure your bottom end wasn't filled with H2O as well ?
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Water in engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water in engine   Water in engine EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 1:28 am

0007onWR wrote:
Jäger i'm not currently a tech, I was a tech, I also was a service/tech assistance and warranty guy so I have done a lot of picking up of the pieces, I could write a book on what not to do LOL, I have learned to listen to my alarm bells
Close enough, dude, close enough.

There are those who have TI, and those who have not - in any activity.
Back to top Go down
promark03

promark03

Water in engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water in engine   Water in engine EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 6:53 pm

X-racer: When the bike fell in the water and sucked it in, it did have water in the oil. That is making me think that the piston cracked. Whatever the case may be, the technicians at thumper racing could easily find the problem, and I did tell them everything that had happened to it. They assured me that they would be able to diagnose the problem and fix whatever had gone wrong with it. The fact that it has absolutely no compression tells me that there are only a handful of thing that could be wrong with it. Basically either the piston, the head gasket, the head itself, or the valves. I'm sure they will be able to find it easily.
Back to top Go down
promark03

promark03

Water in engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water in engine   Water in engine EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 10:47 pm

Just a little update. I found a used engine on craigslist, and I bought it. I am putting this one on and I am going to build up the other one for a spare, or put it on a shifter kart or something. I will probably have the original engine torn apart in a week or two. I will post what I found out about it. I will probably end up putting a big bore kit in it and seeing what other mods I can do with it. Maybe a port and polish on the head? I haven't really heard of anyone porting and polishing their head. Anyway, that's the update.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Water in engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water in engine   Water in engine Empty

Back to top Go down

Water in engine
Page 1 of 1