Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers?

Go down 
+7
dnf
SheWolf
rydnseek
f3joel
BuilderBob
KLRchickie
BoredAzHell20
11 posters
AuthorMessage
BoredAzHell20

Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers? Empty
PostSubject: Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers?   Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers? EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 4:54 pm

Hi everybody,

I was wonder if it is safe to use UnderArmour products as liners when wearing full leathers? I've never had to use my full leathers in a slide, but I'm guessing if a person is sliding in leathers the contact areas on the leathers and asphalt will cause intense heat spots. I've read that when the UnderArmour material heats up it can burn into your skin hence reasons why the army ban their soldiers using this product.

For track people who have had to use their leathers at full extent, does the leathers heat up considerably when sliding? like a rug burn feeling? If yes, what liners do you use?

Any input will be great.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
KLRchickie

PostSubject: Re: Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers?   Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers? EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 5:16 pm

No matter how well your leathers fit, you WILL have some movement of the garment if you go down & slide on the ground. I don't know how much heat might be generated, but a lining layer actually keeps you warmer if it is cold out, cooler if it is hot out, and can help save your skin. Zed has a scar near his elbow from the elbow armour & lining of his suit - he was wearing short sleeves under it at the time.

We use either merino wool or moisture wicking fabrics. I use Under Armour tights. I didn't know that the fabric supposedly heats up. I also haven't gone for a full skid, so I cannot attest to what happens to the Under Armour in that case.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers?   Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 7:18 am

I wear pure silk long johns from Land's End under my leathers. Very thin, light weight and non-synthetic. Keeps the leathers from getting all nasty, which is my main consideration.

I think they're less expensive than Under Armour too.
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers?   Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 9:49 am

I usually wear a t shirt and basketball shorts.

My roommate wears a psycleskins undersuit.

I don't think you will have to worry about them melting to you in a crash unless there is a fire.
Back to top Go down
BoredAzHell20

PostSubject: Re: Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers?   Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 12:47 pm

Awesome thanks guys. I guess i'll keep using my underarmour linings and let you know the outcome if I ever get into a slide in the leathers. I'll look into the silk long johns and psycleskins too pretty soon.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers?   Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 3:46 pm

I think the problem with the synthetic fabrics is when they slide on the pavement. The studies i've read say that the textile nylon gear does not abrade as well as leather, & when it does, it generates heat & melts to the skin. I don't see a problem with the under garments.. they are thin & even if the leather wears through, they won't last long. I usually wear a leather jacket, & wear an underarmor style shirt underneath. I don't expect the synthetic undergarments to protect from any abrasion.. but they are great for wicking moisture & are more comfortable.. they don't chafe as much as cotton, & they dry fast. I think they are perfect for wearing under leather. I wouldn't think the leather would heat up enough to melt the synthetics, but even if that is a risk, the pros outweigh the cons, imo.

If you were dealing with fire a lot, the synthetics aren't as good. If you might get hit with a tracer, or are going through a window to rescue someone, leave the synthetics at home. But on a moto ride under leather they're great!

Last edited by rydnseek on Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers?   Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Yeah that's why we don't use synthetics when working a fire. Ever see polyester melt to the skin like a tattoo? I have...not pretty... eeek

dnf

PostSubject: Re: Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers?   Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers? EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 11:52 pm

I have taken a few slides wearing polypro underneath. Never been an issue (other than my poor riding on the track).
Back to top Go down
SOUTH of HEAVEN

PostSubject: Re: Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers?   Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers? EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 9:53 pm

Cool post! Which track are you guys running the X? Ive done Loudon and NJMP on my RC8-R sportbike. Motards rule Loudon and shine on technical tracks. Id love to see an X knee dragging!!! thumb
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers?   Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers? EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 8:01 am

SOUTH of HEAVEN wrote:
Id love to see an X knee dragging!!! thumb

click me <--- Very happy

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers?   Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers? EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 11:42 am

SOUTH of HEAVEN wrote:
Cool post! Which track are you guys running the X? Ive done Loudon and NJMP on my RC8-R sportbike. Motards rule Loudon and shine on technical tracks. Id love to see an X knee dragging!!! thumb

Would Loudon let a WR250X on the track ? A lot of the bigger tracks up this way consider them too slow.
Back to top Go down
leed

PostSubject: Re: Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers?   Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:56 pm

Very late to the game on this.. But I almost always ride with some form of synthetic under my leathers. Helps to keep you cooler [or warmer] and makes getting in and out of the suit easier. That said, I've gone down twice at the track, once at ~50-60 and once at ~20-30 and didn't have any issues.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers?   Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers? Empty

Back to top Go down

Under Armor safe for underlining in full leathers?
Page 1 of 1