Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How to change tire tubes at site of failure?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
BoredAzHell20

How to change tire tubes at site of failure? Empty
PostSubject: How to change tire tubes at site of failure?   How to change tire tubes at site of failure? EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 10:39 pm

Just wanted to know if somebody can give advise on how to change tire tubes at site of failure (no bike stand) just tools to remove the tire.

Do you lay your bike on the side and take off the tire like that? You have a special portable stand? I experienced this today on a trail and I had the hardest 2 mile hike back to main road to have a tow truck arrive.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: How to change tire tubes at site of failure?   How to change tire tubes at site of failure? EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 10:58 pm

Bored: Between the tire and the tank you're really getting some post-it mileage here !

Lesseee.... There are a number of options. The first would be to do a fast, fix-it and continue to ride.

If, for example it were a nail found in the tire then a small can of fix-a-flat can (potentially) get you out of having to wrench at all. ....but you gotta carry the stuff.

Alternatively you can plan to dismount the wheel and tire from the rim and patch, or lay a new tube in. ....which means of course you have to carry all that jazz including a pump, or CO2 inflater too.

When you have large rocks and/or tree stumps around that makes the latter plan easy. If not yea, you either lie the bike down and do it that way, or get what is referred to as a swing stand (a side stand that when working with the OEM stand, actually holds the rear and up in the air).

There will be times, of course following Murphy's law, that you will be in the worst place ever to have a flat. ...and that, unfortunately, is what you have to plan for.

P.S. if you are going to make a choice to ride alone out in the bush somewhere, don't forget to either tell someone, or leave a note where you are going.
Back to top Go down
BoredAzHell20

PostSubject: Re: How to change tire tubes at site of failure?   How to change tire tubes at site of failure? EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 1:26 am

X-Racer wrote:
Bored: Between the tire and the tank you're really getting some post-it mileage here !

Lesseee.... There are a number of options. The first would be to do a fast, fix-it and continue to ride.

If, for example it were a nail found in the tire then a small can of fix-a-flat can (potentially) get you out of having to wrench at all. ....but you gotta carry the stuff.

Alternatively you can plan to dismount the wheel and tire from the rim and patch, or lay a new tube in. ....which means of course you have to carry all that jazz including a pump, or CO2 inflater too.

When you have large rocks and/or tree stumps around that makes the latter plan easy. If not yea, you either lie the bike down and do it that way, or get what is referred to as a swing stand (a side stand that when working with the OEM stand, actually holds the rear and up in the air).

There will be times, of course following Murphy's law, that you will be in the worst place ever to have a flat. ...and that, unfortunately, is what you have to plan for.

P.S. if you are going to make a choice to ride alone out in the bush somewhere, don't forget to either tell someone, or leave a note where you are going.

Yea I know, and your getting some reply-it mieage. lol I guess after my misfortune today, all of these questions came up but couldn't find anything by searching through the forum. That side stand idea is awesome! I know I have a new welding project next week. Now I wonder what I can do to raise the front wheel.

Found this on the forum to whoever doesn't know what a side stand is Side Stand thread

I wonder how portable these stands are? Doesn't give the dimensions on the size. I'm going to send an email to them folding stand

Last edited by BoredAzHell20 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: How to change tire tubes at site of failure?   How to change tire tubes at site of failure? EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 1:53 am

At least you're having fun... ...and getting a two-mile workout ! * LOL *

This is the one I was thinking of.

http://www.wrrdualsport.com/reviews-intro/bikeparts/82-swingstander
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to change tire tubes at site of failure?   How to change tire tubes at site of failure? Empty

Back to top Go down

How to change tire tubes at site of failure?
Page 1 of 1