Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

motard wheels for my R

Go down 
+14
Marylucky
safesax
asheville thumper
Chrispy1200
dtx
Daamud
DougZ
Arkmage
A66auto
abchel
cug
trav72
KC0514
snakeears
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
snakeears

motard wheels for my R Empty
PostSubject: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 3:24 am

Hi all can some one tell me the best way to put road wheels on my R so I can interchange them easily? The gearing I have in mind is 13/44 for road an 13/48 dirt ( i am open to suggestions here ) do I have to get 2 chains and new brake bracket ? Here in Oz I have had so many different quotes to convert from $900 to $2300, I am confused!
Back to top Go down
KC0514

KC0514

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 1:05 pm

I've been on the same road you have been.

I've look into every angle I could find. And I'm back where I started. At Wheeling Cycle.

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/index.shtml

They are still the best and most economical way to do it. if you use their setup, you can also use your stock R brake package which is a big savings.

Only other option is if you are shit lucky and find someone to sell their factory X setup to you.

I've been looking for that elusive factory X set of wheels for over a month now and have given up.

I'm ordering my wheels from Forest at Wheeling.

Good luck
Mark
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Just an FYI, Motostrano sells Supermoto Conversion Kits for the WRR. LOOKS like pretty good prices on everything they sell. Oh the wish list I could build... droooool

Last edited by whitea42 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:19 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Wrong information.)
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 3:56 pm

whitea42 wrote:
Just an FYI, Motostrano sells Supermoto Conversion Kits for the WRR. LOOKS like pretty good prices on everything they sell. Oh the wish list I could build... droooool

No they don't. Their kits are for the wr250/450F not the WRR.
Back to top Go down
KC0514

KC0514

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 4:09 pm

Trav is right. I called Motostrano when I was looking and they confirmed, no SM kits for the WR250R.

Mark
Back to top Go down
cug

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 4:37 pm

KC0514 wrote:
I've been looking for that elusive factory X set of wheels for over a month now and have given up.

Out of curiosity - is it easier to get R wheels for an X or X wheels for an R? I'm just in the middle of buying an X as I couldn't find an R. But I will want to put dirt tires / wheels on as this will be my "dirt adventure bike" while the GS stays the "road adventure bike".
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 5:16 pm

cug wrote:
KC0514 wrote:

Out of curiosity - is it easier to get R wheels for an X or X wheels for an R? I'm just in the middle of buying an X as I couldn't find an R. But I will want to put dirt tires / wheels on as this will be my "dirt adventure bike" while the GS stays the "road adventure bike".

You'll be able to find someone to swap your X wheels for their R wheels.
Back to top Go down
KC0514

KC0514

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 6:10 pm

It is also cheaper to buy a set of R wheels new compared to buying X wheels.
Back to top Go down
abchel

abchel

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 7:11 pm

I pick up a set of esed R rims on ebay and mounted Avon AM43 & AM44 Distanzia for the street. Running 13-42 for the street and 12 45 for the dirt and moving the wheel up.
Back to top Go down
A66auto

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 9:44 pm

I'm new, but why not just swap the dirt R rubber out with Street rubber?
Back to top Go down
cug

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 10:10 pm

A66auto wrote:
I'm new, but why not just swap the dirt R rubber out with Street rubber?

The smaller X wheels are much sharper steering and you get really aggressive street rubber for them. It's also true the other way around. You can of course mount some Avon Distanzia or similar dual sport tire on the X wheels but you get much more aggressive dirt tires in the R sizes.

It's all about specializing. The 17F/R on the X are specialized for sharp and fast street riding with maximum grip on tar while the 21R/18R on the R climb much better over obstacles, can mount knobbies, and so on.

I guess it all depends where you spend most of your time: street or dirt.
Back to top Go down
cug

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 10:14 pm

KC0514 wrote:
It is also cheaper to buy a set of R wheels new compared to buying X wheels.

Interesting. Didn't know that. I also haven't found prices for full wheel sets including brakes.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 10:54 pm

Seeing posts like this almost makes me think I should sell my X set up. deal
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:14 pm

Cheapest option I've found is 50stunt, but you'll have to swap the rotor and caliper since they are for the X not the R.

http://www.50stunt.com/DNA_SUPERMOTO_WHEELS_p/smwt-%20dna%20wheels.htm
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 11:14 am

trav72 wrote:
Seeing posts like this almost makes me think I should sell my X set up. deal

Deeeek. poser2
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 11:18 am

DougZ wrote:

Deeeek. poser2

I did say "almost". Very happy
Back to top Go down
Daamud

Daamud

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 7:32 pm

Has anybody laced up 21/18 hoops to the X hubs?

I have some hoops from an old KDX, and wonder if the odd front hub on the X would cause any problems finding spokes?

Also, I notice a lot of people looking to swap one way or the other.........

Maybe a sticky thread to find people close to each other to swap?????
Back to top Go down
KC0514

KC0514

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 8:39 am

Arkmage wrote:
Cheapest option I've found is 50stunt, but you'll have to swap the rotor and caliper since they are for the X not the R.

http://www.50stunt.com/DNA_SUPERMOTO_WHEELS_p/smwt-%20dna%20wheels.htm

The wheels are cheaper than Wheeling Cycle's, but then have to buy rotor and front brake setup off an X. That will actually cost more than if you use the Wheeling kit and your R brake setup.

But then you have the big X brake setup.

So if you want the big brakes, it's worth it.
Back to top Go down
KC0514

KC0514

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 8:41 am

Daamud wrote:
Has anybody laced up 21/18 hoops to the X hubs?

I have some hoops from an old KDX, and wonder if the odd front hub on the X would cause any problems finding spokes?

Also, I notice a lot of people looking to swap one way or the other.........

Maybe a sticky thread to find people close to each other to swap?????

The angle of the spokes is what will kill you. If the angle is somehow correct, you will still have to have custom spokes made up.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 1:14 pm

http://www.buchananspokes.net/
you can get any spokes made to fit anything
I wiil be changing my front 19 to a 21 this winter on a x hub,not all that hard to do your self.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 5:39 pm

dtx wrote:
http://www.buchananspokes.net/
you can get any spokes made to fit anything
I wiil be changing my front 19 to a 21 this winter on a x hub,not all that hard to do your self.

Does Buchanan have a standard spoke kit / part number you can reference to have as spare / replacement spokes ?
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 7:42 pm

No. You fill out an order for what hud you will use to what rim type you want to lace to. Prices start at 85$ for 36 spokes.
Now remember the rear hub is the same r or x so stock spokes will work as will rims.Yamaha spokes are cheeper,rims however cost more.
The front x hub is one off so 21in spokes are made to fit. Rims are drilled to the spoke angle of whatever hub you choose.Not that you cannot get away with any old rim,just not the recomended way to go.
The only other bolt in swap is the front is from a early suzki rm 125/250 with the 17mm axel.

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pages/OemParts The cheepest oem parts i can find,100$ for a hub aint bad.

If i recall EBC will make you a larger brake rotor for the stock r hud so you can use x brakes,if you want to go that route.Thats about all the options i have for now,shop long spend little.

Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 9:06 pm

OK, how about Buchanan if you just wanted a rim ? Can they drill and ship just a rim for an X ?
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 6:19 am

Chrispy1200 wrote:
OK, how about Buchanan if you just wanted a rim ? Can they drill and ship just a rim for an X ?

all the prices are on the web site,did anyone review it ??
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 7:46 am

dtx wrote:
Chrispy1200 wrote:

all the prices are on the web site,did anyone review it ??

Yes, I did, but it's not clear whether a drilled WR250X rim was an off the shelf type item without supplying a hub.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: motard wheels for my R   motard wheels for my R Empty

Back to top Go down

motard wheels for my R
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next