Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof

Go down 
+40
DragonNester
mash100
gatorfan
cmtnwr
Dancamp
picard
Dana44
Jersey Devil
galland1
Mr.Metal
turboedmsp
Swarty
simonpig
X-Racer
Herkypilot
bigbeariuka
WRoldman
inspector
Crawdaddy
Ceipherz
sswrx
BluePill
greer
Chrispy1200
YamWOW!
rydnseek
YZEtc
wildmotha
Chadx
ZED
dirtytrixx400
derm75
motokid
MeefZah
Navajib
skierd
King Wolf
SheWolf
mwakey
Jäger
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Herkypilot

Herkypilot

Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 7:51 pm

Mash100 -

yea - pretty graphic. I don't know why riders insist on starting up their bikes in the hope of making chain maintenance easier, and end up cutting their fingers off.

HP
Back to top Go down
DragonNester

DragonNester

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Mr.Metal wrote:
Kerosene to clean, DuPont Teflon chain lube once the chain dries. 18K miles on my stock DL chain with 0 problems. I expect great life out of my new RK WRR chain as well.

Yep...that's the ticket. Plus, Dupont Teflon Chain Lube won't turn into rubbing compound like some sticky thick products do.

Wal-Mart also handles it under another name...Dupont Teflon Chain Saver.
Back to top Go down
Ziabeam

Ziabeam

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 30, 2015 12:10 am

Kerosene on terry cloth to clean----Any good spray-on dry lube to protect.

***Won't help the chain last much if any longer,*** but will keep it from flash rusting after clean-up, and the residue will briefly help the chain burnish small imperfections where it meshes with the sprocket, without attracting/holding much if any dirt.

***disclaimer***
Mine has D.I.D. X-Ring chain and IronMan sprockets. They are wearing like iron with very little maintenance. Sometimes I believe old school cleaning/heavy lubing actually shortens the life of today's much more durable high end components...

... on the other hand, the stock sprockets and chain are a whole-nuther-ball-of-wax... no pun intended.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyWalkeRR

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 1:03 pm

Note that the current RK website not to use WD40 or Kerosene on a sealed chain.

Back to top Go down
Ziabeam

Ziabeam

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 1:33 pm

JohnnyWalkeRR wrote:
Note that the current RK website not to use WD40 or Kerosene on a sealed chain.
That all they said?
Back to top Go down
JohnnyWalkeRR

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 1:36 pm

Pretty much, I’ll try to post the link.

http://www.rkexcelamerica.com/assets/1461079033a68e02b1b46743bafb1f09a74a0687b3.pdf
Back to top Go down
Ziabeam

Ziabeam

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 1:44 pm

Okay they say mineral based cleaners work on sealed chains.. guessing that may include mineral spirits or paint thinner.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyWalkeRR

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 1:46 pm

You would think so.
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 5:31 pm

I've tried many ways. I'm using used engine oil now. Cheap to reapply. Most of the grime comes off with a couple passes of a soapy sponge and a rinse.

Ideally I'd rock an oiler system. Constant fresh oil, slinging dirt off instead of turning it to grimy crap. Seems that's where it's at.

It's simple, if you want it to last you want it as clean as possible with some lube to protect the outside and mating surfaces. Chain wax is great for the padding, but it's sticky and a pain to clean and reapply. For more street use I'd use it again. It does pad the mating surfaces better than anything else I've tried. Instead of metal on metal, it's metal on wax on metal. Seems like it'd produce less wear, as long as it isn't full of dirt and dust.

Back to top Go down
banditrider

banditrider

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 11:06 pm

Just added an el-cheapo chinese chain oiler: https://banditrider.blogspot.com/2019/06/mouse-lube.html

Not sure how long it will survive...

Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 5 Sd94WTUhO02Cskh-eLnGZfCEJayC2rKWK6SpFHe7O64_pzgNe7u_QpYiNokB2jTZO87VmE9TeXi_BZFDlWBwqW1QCLb22KPIxoXxaEYbfhdBgMxicgJuwPTQFd82LVbytiatdNnzyGd7YGLg4-uMAEMUhfaniXj2r3tP0m_yEiZIRoc7gcgpva4skOdcx4H5vKPsfHb272ZUmGsofC5YSMCGhaa21NemxLnxG1by-j8ClgJ4dNFYKbmqgMT_ljRbGU3eU2rdAtNDqYoLIPsq-gnlZQ-WS0a-Vls2su6tiWpDyOpHp66PHYaaRP2BJg7XlyTtfnH3hg0w6q-EB9wXKjKw2cLuTC9j1KMAbFZ_3e6lERIKtSpn9MBsDl1_vJweL9gnQ1GPR1BN5oQIY7fp5wsIudCxiqVNsO8AkhURLFdDyTA6tqawfOVf7d0ilTkbv_dv_o67dWLOrQ_dl_r2LiD_lxpSlywn5wohsgsZlrxYbKn49ttQ9wiz1_LCepdQh0trJsqprxs-I0HjGBHUWMtVZnwZ6y4odnw9Hj5rVn7KhtSKIs7JQB96NRFpxG4JuJ_4hbpCmXOXkwZjKD6dWwdFdVY1fuUm4UL-rJTQmGP2AHrn-DdirESFDx2F82gMk99kB-kJCkYm21o0-CzN2m_-XNuOGrmdXU0F3Wf3I4JKpLnaVj0SIJqZfC1MgodvjQAI1WYWWal992Iln5BMtTwEYg=w1260-h945-no

Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 5 Z9aqcU1hrO3mC9UzNnJnDvT7tN6B4MyRP5ty8m8DvZ0jKVdni0qf79MpKxgtTn7N0-0HcJmRxPkXPWSeajuASEkTcirzFAvafJnoI5oLuc3aWkld5ST4R3UIEBS9SCHfi2qbm6QTlP5nPfC8rwyWF5vJtKL54zgRSHPm5sGpOyVqezQqEc3UuJa5aYgCnM6R2uY9K9WZ6m1242yjAyFYvpv-0k_ms4mMCczAigAROwfzcVUVqxzl6zuNZsL0syJ-ZfA4RgJggnMkNnlLooRIdsS8UD7X5VVhO7qjGMx-sVIBkNvp327x5G-jHiQRhWXfvGLT-UFJY6SsXxQ6Egtr0s5RLDXfZLuy_Kdm4Kgage28mINIZd-nPgjyv3MItMm8IKo1EBKAqdiyPrPyB1xy5J3OFZhfLomq9qThOQhyY9aMzpojUsL7k-VHt10uM419ZdicoHe4u9n716_s7cAACBx7id4rNQTaCggRqG0PONyD5nEnFEmFlCuOLth-r8fG0QB6pdoE-2MRmbYkfr32qTj6bT_T4zxHOPCwYJ4vzZGtYtkwJpJk_acmgq25LO4OvmJgZu-xyo_0Sba18Ra_w0VX0peVwKzKo3d3dOfMOjZ2LEOzMW0PlUIDHiUHxNf2xmgk3nWXFt_vl9hu7RDnekBA_RbU3iF4brjkj3cu07GbEWsiQB3ZXHcagTXoK81nIO2bnOcLI5lli5QAFtpp_HXQcg=w1260-h945-no
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5