Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof

Go down 
+40
DragonNester
mash100
gatorfan
cmtnwr
Dancamp
picard
Dana44
Jersey Devil
galland1
Mr.Metal
turboedmsp
Swarty
simonpig
X-Racer
Herkypilot
bigbeariuka
WRoldman
inspector
Crawdaddy
Ceipherz
sswrx
BluePill
greer
Chrispy1200
YamWOW!
rydnseek
YZEtc
wildmotha
Chadx
ZED
dirtytrixx400
derm75
motokid
MeefZah
Navajib
skierd
King Wolf
SheWolf
mwakey
Jäger
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 2:05 pm

Yup....it was the chain. No squeeks today and about 50 miles of riding.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Chain Maintanence - SQUEEEEEEEEAAAAK   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 3:11 pm

I am almost flabbergasted at the noise my chain makes and the intervals at which I must lube it.

I've been riding motorcycles since 1985. I've never experienced the maintenance schedule like what I've found with the WR250X.

I've owned an Honda VF500 Interceptor, Yamaha FZR400, and Yamaha R1 prior to getting the X.

Is it the stock chain that yamaha puts on these bikes? is it a complete piece of crap?

I use chain wax. Seems like after even the slightest damp weather I have to reapply the wax of I end up with a rolling squeak that's really quite annoying.

I cut my ride short today because of it. (I plan to go back out....)
I thought I might have a bearing going bad or something. The squeak was really noticeable.

Anybody know why this is the case? Do I need to upgrade to a new chain?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
wildmotha

wildmotha

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Hmm, maybe it's in the roller or something. I also use maxima wax and have not had any problems with noise.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 4:05 pm

The bike comes with a DID 520V chain, which is their standard o-ring chain - decent stuff.

On mine, it's been no different from any other bike I've owned as far as chain maintenance and chain noise goes.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 4:11 pm

On o-ring chains, i don't lube them.. just wash them off & hit some wd-40. But i ride a lot of dirt, so you don't want an oily, sticky chain in the dirt..just makes it stick & grind your sprockets & chain.

I think some of the squeaking is the rubber seals on the stock sprockets. Once you change sprockets it won't squeak as much.. also, once they wear down a bit they'll stop.

scotty
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 4:32 pm

I've got a little over 2100 miles showing on the "shitty" odometer that comes with these.

I've changed the counter shaft sprocket. I now have a 12t on the front. Been that way for well over 1000 miles now.

I don't think it's new, not quite broken in yet chain noise.

I think I'm gonna buy that Dupont Teflon stuff I've seen people talk about.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 6:54 pm

rydnseek wrote:
On o-ring chains, i don't lube them.. just wash them off & hit some wd-40. But i ride a lot of dirt, so you don't want an oily, sticky chain in the dirt..just makes it stick & grind your sprockets & chain.

I think some of the squeaking is the rubber seals on the stock sprockets. Once you change sprockets it won't squeak as much.. also, once they wear down a bit they'll stop.

scotty

WD-40 is going to eat your rubber o-rings over time. I would stay away from that stuff.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 10:31 pm

I don't think so.. neoprene o-rings are very resistant to all kinds of
chemicals, & wd-40 isn't that corrosive. It's a Water Displacement
penetrating lubricant. There are hundreds of dirt bikers who just use
wd-40 on their chains. Do a search on TT. I got about 15k miles out of
my last chain.. but i ride easy. Some riders need a new chain &
sprockets every 500-1000 miles. The o-rings will outlast the chain.

But
this is a highly debated subject, with passionate views from the
opinion holders.. like the oil threads. I mostly like to ride, not
fiddle with the bike a lot. After a ride, i'll wash it down with a
hose.. including the chain, then spray the chain w/wd-40 while spinning
it on a stand. Then i put the can down & walk away. It's good until
the next ride.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 10:38 pm

motokid wrote:
I've got a little over 2100 miles showing on the "shitty" odometer that comes with these.

I've changed the counter shaft sprocket. I now have a 12t on the front. Been that way for well over 1000 miles now.

I don't think it's new, not quite broken in yet chain noise.

I think I'm gonna buy that Dupont Teflon stuff I've seen people talk about.

Do you have the stock rear sprocket? I've heard that some people get their squeaks from that; the rubber thing surrounding the sprocket.

..it might not be it.. i'm just grasping at straws. i'm not making any definitive statements, just trying to help come up with a solution. Most advice you get on the forums is worth what you pay for it.

scotty Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 635601
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 9:23 am

Sprocket alignment is CRITICAL to chain life. It really pays to have an alignment tool.

No lube on my chains here - EVER. They are a o-ring chain so all lube will do is keep the outside of the chain shiny. Really it's just a waste of money. I just get new chain and sprockets when they are shot.... Maybe once in a great while they will get the WD-40 treatment after a washing but thats about it....
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 11:23 am

I've never had to adjust my chain from day one. Well, I guess I adjusted it about a week after I had it when I installed the 12T sprocket, but I haven't touched it since. I use Motul chain lube and then chain wax to seal it up. Ride LOTS of dirt and mud and have yet to have any chain noise, slap, squeal or bark.

Admin
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 11:39 pm

I think I'm gonna buy that Dupont Teflon stuff I've seen people talk about.[/quote]MotoKid

My chain squeaked after a sand ride when it had 1500 miles on it. It did go away after a lube. I replaced my chain when I changed my rear sprocket. I started using the DuPont Teflon after reading a lot of reviews from others. Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 867936 I like it. I didn't have any problems with chain wax, I just hate the over spray. It is a pain to get off. Maybe some one knows a good way to remove it.

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 8:14 am

YamWOW! wrote:
I didn't have any problems with chain wax, I just hate the over spray. It is a pain to get off. Maybe some one knows a good way to remove it.

A little varsol on a cloth and it wipes right off.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 8:56 am

YamWOW! wrote:
I didn't have any problems with chain wax, I just hate the over spray. It is a pain to get off. Maybe some one knows a good way to remove it.

If you cut out a piece of cardboard and put it between the sprocket and wheel it helps keep the over spray off everything. Then you don't have to worry about how to get it off later. Also helps to use the little red straw nozzle instead of spraying it all over like you were painting something.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 9:04 am

mwakey wrote:
Also helps to use the little red straw nozzle instead of spraying it all over like you were painting something.

+10 thumb There is a reason they have that stuck to the bottle....

Admin
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 9:18 am

mwakey wrote:
YamWOW! wrote:

If you cut out a piece of cardboard and put it between the sprocket and wheel it helps keep the over spray off everything. Then you don't have to worry about how to get it off later. Also helps to use the little red straw nozzle instead of spraying it all over like you were painting something.
I thought you use the the straw the first time only. Because you can't put it back under the stupid little tape that comes on the can! Do you think they could add a rubber band to the can, or would that increase the price .01 cent? Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 29721

Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 9:31 am

4 steps ahead of you there. I utilized the old spray nozzle off a big can of WD40, the one that has the flip up straw attached so you can have it up when you need it and down when you don't, and you never lose the straw. thumb

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 9:36 am

YamWOW! wrote:
mwakey wrote:
YamWOW! wrote:

I thought you use the the straw the first time only. Because you can't put it back under the stupid little tape that comes on the can! Do you think they could add a rubber band to the can, or would that increase the price .01 cent? Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 29721

LOL! I'm with you on that one. I just leave the straw in the nozzle and cut a slot in the cap so you can put the cap back on.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 12:04 pm

That squeaking drives me nuts, too. We have some of this stuff on hand so I put it on the rubber rings on the sprockets, seems to have taken care of it. We'll see how long it stays quiet.

Sarah

Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 41DPH83KB8L._SL500_AA280_
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 6:30 am

Didn't stay quiet long. Dang.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
BluePill

BluePill

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 12:49 am

rydnseek wrote:
I don't think so.. neoprene o-rings are very resistant to all kinds of
chemicals, & wd-40 isn't that corrosive. It's a Water Displacement
penetrating lubricant.
But
this is a highly debated subject, with passionate views from the
opinion holders.. like the oil threads.

Yeah, Baby! If you have an hour to spare, check out the 5 year long WD40 thread on FZ1OA forum.
Interesting to note that 2 major chain manufacturers (Tsubaki Chain and RK Chain) both recommend it.

http://www.tsubaki-rider.com/?type=maintenance

http://www.rkexcelamerica.com/faq.html

Nice chain tutorial at this site:

http://ducatitoolrental.com/motorcycle_chain_replacement.html
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 9:25 pm

I use chain wax also & I do the cardboard deal too. Keeps things quite a bit cleaner.
mwakey wrote:
YamWOW! wrote:

Back to top Go down
Ceipherz

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 9:26 pm

Mine does this as well. From what I have found it is the Stock rear sprocket. The chain contacting the rubber on the sprocket loves to squeak...I plan on living with it until I decide to change to a different chain/sprocket combo.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 6:06 am

Ceipherz wrote:
Mine does this as well. From what I have found it is the Stock rear sprocket. The chain contacting the rubber on the sprocket loves to squeak...I plan on living with it until I decide to change to a different chain/sprocket combo.

Can you explain, or take pictures, of where your chain contacts rubber on your sprocket?

My sprockets don't have any rubber on them in the areas where the chain contacts them.

I am so confused.... Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 29721

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 8:23 am

motokid wrote:
Ceipherz wrote:

Can you explain, or take pictures, of where your chain contacts rubber on your sprocket?

My sprockets don't have any rubber on them in the areas where the chain contacts them.

I am so confused.... Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 29721

The '09 bikes don't have the rubber ring on the rear sprocket like the '08 bikes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof   Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chains - The Cleaning And Lubing Thereof
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next