Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Heated grips

Go down 
+10
skierd
joenuclear
SheWolf
dnf
BuilderBob
mordicai
TwilightZone
Ozy
craigq
IAmABug
14 posters
AuthorMessage
IAmABug

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Heated grips   Heated grips EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 12:35 pm

I am looking into getting some heated grips. Does anyone use them and if sO what's at good brand
Back to top Go down
craigq

craigq

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 4:46 pm

I bought & installed Oxford HotGrips aka Heaterz. Installation is easy, supposed to have a parasitic drain on the battery but it seems to start fine every time (some people splice them into a cicuit that's live when the iginition is on).

There's a thread with a couple of other options : https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t125-3-circuit-solution-heated-grips?highlight=heated+grips
Back to top Go down
Ozy

Ozy

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 8:26 am

I installed the Symtec heated grips and they've been great. I've put the rocker switch into my HDB bar clamp but even though it's a weather proof switch I have to keep the WD40/RP7 etc up to it because it gets a bit sticky at times.

I also had the parisitic drain problem with the Oxford grips on my previous bike and if you have small hands you may find them too large...
Back to top Go down
TwilightZone

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 11:20 am

Hot Grips ! Pretty expensive, but they absolutely work. Note that the company also make (imports) the Oxford ones.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 11:41 am

I've been planning on getting the Hot Grips for my x, but I keep reading that the don't work that well with Aluminum oversized bars. Anybody using them with the Protaper aluminum bars?
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 8:40 pm

I have the Oxford grips as well (on my KLR). I would advise wiring a relay in so that you don't accidentally leave them on when the bike is off (don't ask).

They're great. Kept my hands nice and toasty when I was in Alaska.
Back to top Go down
dnf

dnf

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 10:09 pm

I put on some cheapy atv heated grips.
Work ok so far...
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 12:35 am

Bought a set from a local dealer. $35. Easy to wire. Hardest part was the grips (If anyone has tips on grip removal and install that be cool) all I can say though is they are nice. Toasty hands are great.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 10:20 am

All I did with mine was slide a screwdriver in along the bar, spray some lubie doobie in there, and then slide the screwdriver around the bar. Grip came off. Putting them back on was a few squirts of windex, slip the grip and voila. Kinda had to be creative when I didn't have a compressor handy to blow it off. Heated grips 490865

joenuclear

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 10:33 am

SheWolf wrote:
All I did with mine was slide a screwdriver in along the bar, spray some lubie doobie in there, and then slide the screwdriver around the bar. Grip came off. Putting them back on was a few squirts of windex, slip the grip and voila. Kinda had to be creative when I didn't have a compressor handy to blow it off. Heated grips 490865

On my last set I used GooGone instead of "lubie doobie" and a couple of drops per side worked great. I used a generic windex and the grips never got tight so I had to safety wire them. Next time I'll use the name brand stuff.
Back to top Go down
Ozy

Ozy

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 6:30 am

mordicai wrote:
I've been planning on getting the Hot Grips for my x, but I keep reading that the don't work that well with Aluminum oversized bars. Anybody using them with the Protaper aluminum bars?

There is some truth to this on the clutch side, if the grip warmer is directly on the bar, the heat can be absorbed into the bar but I insulated mine by installing electrical heat shrink tubing onto the bar before the grip warmer...
Back to top Go down
skierd

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 1:49 am

My hotgrips worked great on my ProTaper SE bars. Wish I had been able to get the bastards off when I bent them and replaced them, but c'est la vie. I never bothered to insulate mine as the Hot Grips are supposed to be insulated from the bar as it is. Never really noticed a difference in the ultimate temperature other than the grip side heated up much faster.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 10:32 am

Thanks Skierd
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 10:32 pm

I'm a noob.
So could someone tell me?...Do heated grips work on the hwy with cold wind?
Does having the grips heated make your whole hand feel warm?
Does cold wind overwhelm your hands even with heated grips at times?...i'm talking all possible WRR weather, and maybe a bit more.
What is the limit of heated grips and what gloves do you use/need?
Back to top Go down
greer

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 6:14 am

mucker,

Heated grips are more than worth the trouble and expense. You'll have to feel them to believe them. Be sure to insulate the left bar; I use heat shrink, some folks just use electrical tape. I've always bought Kimpex or Trackside heaters, but I'd suggest Symtec as they're wired separately for high and low. Good gloves and wind-blocking handguards are icing on the cake.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
craigq

craigq

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 7:57 am

greer wrote:
mucker,
Good gloves and wind-blocking handguards are icing on the cake.

Sarah

+1, but what I've found is that with wind-blocking handguards and heated grips I can wear my summer weather riding gloves (gauntlet-style, just leather & armored, no thinsulate or gore-tex etc) further into the fall. Commuted this week, one day at around 33F and another around 36F and in the mornings and they were fine with the heated grips on med-high.
Back to top Go down
skierd

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 11:26 am

Once it starts to get into the 40's at night, I throw on my MSR elephant ears knockoffs which deflect a lot of the wind away from my hands, which helps a ton, and start using the grips on most rides to extend my summer glove's season (Joe Rocket Sonic gloves, leather not some mesh thing). Colder than the 40's I start wearing my heated gloves too, which means I have heat from above and below and toasty warm hands into the teens.
Back to top Go down
yaw

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: remove and replace grips   Heated grips EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 9:31 pm

I bought the symtec heated grips. Have been working great. Use them all the time. Use alcohol to remove and replace grips. Slide right on and off.
Back to top Go down
Daamud

Daamud

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 12:08 pm

yaw wrote:
I bought the symtec heated grips. Have been working great. Use them all the time. Use alcohol to remove and replace grips. Slide right on and off.

+1

I used spray paint after cleaning with carb cleaner, made sure the grips were warm and soft.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips Empty

Back to top Go down

Heated grips
Page 1 of 1