Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Heated Grips Install

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
gencollon

Heated Grips Install Empty
PostSubject: Heated Grips Install   Heated Grips Install EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 5:10 pm

Hey guys, I just got a heat demon grip heater kit, and I am deciding how to go about installing it.
I have not done much wiring work in the past, but I assume that I can just take off the headlight cover, and tap into the power and ground wires going into the main fuse box from the rectifier.
I would prefer this option instead of connecting my ground and power to the battery as normal, to eliminate the possibility of leaving the grips on and draining the battery. (this way also should reduce the wire lengths too)

Will this work?
do I need to add a 5A fuse inline with my power wire to the grips?

Thanks guys. I can take pictures as I go as soon as I know what I am doing.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Heated Grips Install   Heated Grips Install EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 9:04 am

I would be careful drawing from the headlight wiring, not sure what the rated fuse is for that circuit, but if it draws too much you will loose your light.

Here's what I did:

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t8467-winterizing-the-wrx-hand-guards-heated-grips-and-more

Basically, use the headlight or running light circuit to switch a relay, and draw full current from the battery (with a fuse, of course) through the relay.

I am not sure how much current your brand of grip heaters draw, but 5A might not be a big enough fuse.
Back to top Go down
gencollon

PostSubject: Re: Heated Grips Install   Heated Grips Install EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 12:11 am

Nice install. My heated grips are the cheapo revzilla ones
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/symtec-heat-demon-heated-grips
they are supposed to be 3 Amps, so when they are not hot enough, I will throw on some Hippo Hands as well.

I like that you used a relay to trigger the grips, so that you can't switch them on when the bike is off and ruin your battery. However, could I also just find the power from the rectifier into the main fuse panel shown in your photo here:
Heated Grips Install 193

and tap into that? my wire runs would be short and simple. I was planning on running the 5A fuse inline with the common power line for safety. I was also considering putting connectors inline on the wires going to the grips so that I could disconnect the bars one day, for easy maintenance without having to deal with the grips being permanently wired to the bike.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Heated Grips Install   Heated Grips Install EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 9:06 am

That would probably work, but my only concern with tapping into existing circuits for high current draw applications is that the original circuit was designed by Yamaha for a certain current draw, and if you add a fairly significant amount (heated grips) it might cause problems and blown fuses.

I'm not saying that it definitely will, but the potential is there. That's why I chose to make my own circuit with the relay, so it is an independent system and if something funky starts happening with the FI or lights or some other electrical system, I have good confidence that it was not due to my addition of the grips/vest/etc. You don't need the whole distribution block, you can just run one wire from the battery and put the relay wherever you want, up close by the grips so it isn't really that much extra wire. I am thinking of relocating my switch and re-doing my wiring because I do have a lot of extra unnecessary wire in my system.

Back to top Go down
camaroz1985

PostSubject: Re: Heated Grips Install   Heated Grips Install EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 1:53 pm

I tapped into the fuse panel wires to trigger the relay on my auxillary fuse panel.  I use the panel to power: gps, phone, fog lights, heating grips (coming soon - next week) and have two more circuits open.  Will be adding heated jacket and maybe use the other circuit for a trickle charger.  The panel lets you set any circuit to be either constant power or switched power.

Fuzeblock

These are the heated grips I ordered.  More expensive for sure, but I like the adjustment and the finished look.  The switch will mount on the brake lever perch. I will post pictures after I get them mounted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heated Grips Install   Heated Grips Install Empty

Back to top Go down

Heated Grips Install
Page 1 of 1