Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean

Go down 
+8
BPG
BoredAzHell20
Caan Saer
slomoto
millert85
TwilightZone
motokid
RattTongue
12 posters
AuthorMessage
RattTongue

Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean Empty
PostSubject: Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean   Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 3:06 pm

Does anybody use any type of fuel additive specifically to keep the fuel injector clean? If so, what do you use?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean   Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 4:05 pm

Why would you feel the need to do that?

Are you talking about something to use to store the bike for long periods of time, or just everyday use type stuff?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
TwilightZone

PostSubject: Re: Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean   Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 4:30 pm

I use 'Techron' additive from Chevron now and again...
not the pre-mixed 'injector cleaner' stuff... the 'real' stuff.

It cleans carbon from the head/piston/valves too.
Back to top Go down
RattTongue

PostSubject: Re: Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean   Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 5:19 pm

motokid wrote:
Why would you feel the need to do that?

Are you talking about something to use to store the bike for long periods of time, or just everyday use type stuff?

I have seen plenty of info about storing the bike. I am talking about something for everyday use.
Back to top Go down
millert85

PostSubject: Re: Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean   Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 10:30 pm

i have a customer that reports good results using motul fuel system cleaner in his ktm 250sx-f. lots of car forums and such report lower build ups in intake, ect and even cleaner carby's in non injected models.

In saying that i have no first hand experience.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean   Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 5:55 am

RattTongue wrote:
I am talking about something for everyday use.

So back to my question. Why would you feel the need for this?
Have you had issues in the past with clogged fuel injectors?
Have you read where that's a common problem with our bikes?

I'm asking because I've not seen or heard about any issues around this topic.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
RattTongue

PostSubject: Re: Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean   Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:47 am

motokid wrote:

I also haven't heard or read anything... either way, pro or con. This is my first dual sport bike and I am just asking to make sure that it is not considered common knowledge/practice like changing the oil (what your not using xyz additive!?!?!?!?).

I am not having any problems right now. This last weekend I did have a real hard time starting it which has NEVER happened. Usually it cranks right up but when I went to start it cranked and cranked. Only change I can think of was that it was a little cool. It really wasn't that cold (50-60 degrees) and once I got it started it was fine the rest of the weekend. A neighbor came over when he saw me having problems and as we were trying to diagnose it, he did mention the possibility of a clogged injector which is what planted the question in my head about a fuel additive. The only other thing I can think of was that it had not ran for any length of time for about two weeks. I had put a new battery in 3 days prior and started it up w/o any problems, but I only ran it for about 1-2 minutes.

I also read an article in Dirt Bike magazine recently talking about the paradigm shift from carbs to FI and the new set of problems being introduced, one of which is obviously clogged injectors.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean   Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:55 am

Did some quick google searches and found plenty of warnings about some additives and cleaners that can be very destructive to internal working parts of fuel pumps. Stuff made out of nylon and such.

Before using any such product I'd do shit-loads of research.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
RattTongue

PostSubject: Re: Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean   Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 11:35 am

That's kinda what I was looking for. Before I just started dumping something into my tank I wanted to find out what others were doing (or not doing).
Back to top Go down
slomoto

PostSubject: Re: Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean   Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 6:02 pm

{ I had put a new battery in 3 days prior and started it up w/o any problems, but I only ran it for about 1-2 minutes.}

I recently did an oil change but did not get to finish pulling the oil bleeder bolt. So, I came back the next day, pulled the bolt, started it up, oil flowed, shut it off, and replaced the bolt. It ran a total of about 10 seconds.

On the following day, I went to start it and all it did was crank. Eventually, it finally came to life, but reluctantly. I attribute it to my 10 second run that interrupted the natural order of things that occur when a cold engine is fired up. Perhaps, you had a similar experience even though you ran the engine longer than I did.
Back to top Go down
RattTongue

PostSubject: Re: Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean   Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 6:10 pm

Perhaps. Kinda funny but when I got to the trails this last weekend there was a guy there with a brand new Yamaha four wheeler with FI. He couldn't get his started either. He also had fired it up for about 15 seconds the day before. He ended up running up to a local auto parts store and getting a new plug since it was apparently fouled out, probably from trying to start it at the trails.
Back to top Go down
Caan Saer

PostSubject: Re: Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean   Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 8:52 am

most all modern name brands of gas have detergents in thier mix to "keep your engine clean" and the no-name brands all come out of the same set of pipelines most brands use in the eastern u.s. only real diff between them is the soap added at a later time before delivery to your corner station. ive never been a big beliver in snake oils.
Back to top Go down
BoredAzHell20

PostSubject: Re: Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean   Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 3:40 pm

I've always used seafoam on all of my vehicles and only had good experiences. Never used it on the 250 since the bike is pretty new.
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

PostSubject: Re: Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean   Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 12:17 pm

I have always had great luck with Seafoam and Chevron Techron - whether for storage, cleaning out old gummed-up carbs/injectors, or just as a regular precautionary maintenance additive. For whatever reason, these two products seem to always come out on top in real-world (albeit admittedly anecdotal) discussions on various MC forums...
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean   Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:46 pm

I use Lucas cylinder lubricant with injection cleaner and fuel conditioner in everything that has a spark plug.

I have used Marvyn's Miracle Oil in the past and had success with it as well.

"Success" being that none of my bikes (NA or FI'd) have had recurring issues related to the use of gasoline with ethanol.

I do start and run them all (for a lap around the block or so) monthly during dormant use periods.

The FCR carburetors (Honda CRFs and my KTM) are about as sensitive as carburetors get (having many plastic parts) and I've experienced no degradative symptoms over their life.

The EFI'd WR and the R1 also seem immune to any negative influence as well.

Back to top Go down
joenuclear

joenuclear

PostSubject: Re: Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean   Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 11:05 pm

X-Racer wrote:
I use Lucas cylinder lubricant with injection cleaner and fuel conditioner in everything that has a spark plug.

I have used Marvyn's Miracle Oil in the past and had success with it as well.

"Success" being that none of my bikes (NA or FI'd) have had recurring issues related to the use of gasoline with ethanol.

I do start and run them all (for a lap around the block or so) monthly during dormant use periods.

The FCR carburetors (Honda CRFs and my KTM) are about as sensitive as carburetors get (having many plastic parts) and I've experienced no degradative symptoms over their life.

The EFI'd WR and the R1 also seem immune to any negative influence as well.

Marvels Mystery Oil?
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean   Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Okay... That one. :)
Back to top Go down
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean   Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 1:10 am

motokid wrote:
RattTongue wrote:
I am talking about something for everyday use.

The EPA established minimum detergency levels for gasoline in 1995 that created a lot of problems for some auto makers. The EPA detergency levels were too low to keep the injectors clean and the automakers had to shell out lots of money in warranty claims for injector and intake valve deposit problems. Automakers got together and decided to form their own detergency standard calling it "Top Tier":

http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

The website has details, including gasoline retailers that meet the standard. If you don't buy gas from one of the top tier retailers it's good sense to use an injector cleaner like Chevron Techron every few months. In California, the CARB minimum detergency limit is twice the federal level, and IMO it's less imperative to buy from a top tier retailer or use injector cleaner regularly.
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: Re: Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean   Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 10:56 am

FYI, Chevron and Texaco are now the same company. Gas from either of these type gas stations will provide the same additives in the gasoline. And , yes, there is lots of testing to show that Techron does a pretty darn good job of keeping things clean. I suspect Exxon would be very good as well.

I have also used Seafoam in my KLR and it seemed to do a good job with no ill effects.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean   Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean Empty

Back to top Go down

Fuel additive to keep fuel injector clean
Page 1 of 1