Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates?

Go down 
+3
motokid
millert85
Spark
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Spark

Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates? Empty
PostSubject: Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates?   Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates? EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 5:34 am

Somehow my month old barnett clutch is toast, since it's been only a month since it was installed (by a shop) I was told by another shop that I'm probably going to need to replace the fiber plates only, is this true ? and if so, how will I know what's the condition of the friction plates and springs ?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
millert85

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates?   Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates? EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 4:07 am

you'll have to actually look at the steels and check for scoring/heat marks/warping/etc.
Back to top Go down
Spark

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates?   Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates? EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 8:12 am

millert85 wrote:
you'll have to actually look at the steels and check for scoring/heat marks/warping/etc.

Thanks a lot, took a day off tomorrow to work on it.
thumb
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates?   Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates? EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 9:42 am

What kind of torturous riding are you doing that you could burn out a clutch in one month?????

eeek scratch Suspect :hmmm:

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates?   Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates? EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Not on the wrr...but I have seen a few, new clutches, slip in the beginning. After broken in they worked fine. Maybe it got glazed from improper break in? Shouldn't take long to break it in...but wouldnt take long to glaze it either. Glazing can be remedied...but burnt is burnt.
Good luck with that.
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates?   Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates? EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 12:18 am

Quote :
What kind of torturous riding are you doing that you could burn out a clutch in one month?????
Why wouldn't the original poster mention this?

Burnt my barnett clutch within a month!?!?!? <-- linky

Classic case of operator error Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates? 619190
Back to top Go down
Spark

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates?   Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates? EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 3:37 am

ramz wrote:
Quote :
Why wouldn't the original poster mention this?

Burnt my barnett clutch within a month!?!?!? <-- linky

Classic case of operator error Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates? 619190

I did ride a track twice and other than a few aggressive gear downs didn't do anything torturous.

What exactly do you think was the error ? cause I had the bike for almost a year no problems, than 2 clutches in about 3 months :/

I did take the clutch out, it seems fine, even though while reving it up you could smell the clutch...

I got new fiber plates that are now soaking in oil, I'll install them today.

Question: I was told the pressure plates have a thickness differences and should be inserted with the thinnest first and thickest last.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
jyam

jyam

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates?   Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates? EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 11:45 pm

Hey there sparky... Suspect
you should post a few pics of those burnt out puppies would love to see them?
Back to top Go down
Spark

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates?   Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates? EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 6:25 am

jyam wrote:
Hey there sparky... Suspect
you should post a few pics of those burnt out puppies would love to see them?

I'll try to upload soon, I left them at my grandparent's house since that's where I had to fix the bike, no tools or space in my city apt.

BUT! further help is required.

I replaced the clutch fibers, and everything seems fine but one small issue.

The clutch is sticking, meaning, while riding when holding the clutch to gear down, I noticed sometimes (50%) im unable to drop gears instantly since the lever is stuck, then I noticed that the clutch sometimes has a 1-2 sec delay before it actually separates.

After I pull the clutch level I can still hear the engine for about 1 sec, only the the clutch goes into action.

My first thought is the springs, but I could be wrong, also important - I switched to 15W50 oil after a shop recommended it.

Thanks again for the help you guys are great.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates?   Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates? EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 10:33 am

I'm thinking the oil might be your issue. What is it, bike oil or car oil (brand?)? The only two brands of car oil I know that are bike compatible are Shell Rotella 15/40, and Wolf's Head 15/40. Both are JASO approved...if you run car oil you WILL notice decreased performance in the bike's shifting (unless you're running those two brands)...to the point it's stiff, delayed, or just won't plain shift period, as well as slippage. lurk

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates?   Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates? EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 10:59 am

SheWolf wrote:
I'm thinking the oil might be your issue. What is it, bike oil or car oil (brand?)? The only two brands of car oil I know that are bike compatible are Shell Rotella 15/40, and Wolf's Head 15/40. Both are JASO approved...if you run car oil you WILL notice decreased performance in the bike's shifting (unless you're running those two brands)...to the point it's stiff, delayed, or just won't plain shift period, as well as slippage. lurk

It is motorcycle oil, made by Motul which I was told is a good brand.

What else could it be ? maybe cause it's 15/50 ? should I go back to 15/40 10/40 ?

ty
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates?   Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates? EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 7:53 pm

You could try going to a lighter weight oil, perhaps. :hmmm: It'd be nice if that's all it was.

jyam

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates?   Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 12:56 am

Stupid question.. Rolling Eyes how is the clutch cable itself?Streched,frayed out of adjustment?I've changed mine acouple of times now,once the lever cut some strands and once due to wear.I think the 15/50 maybe a lil heavy i dunno.My 08' has been awesome to me and have never had ANY problems with it NOTHING!!
Well one prob CAN'T STOP HAVING FUN dunno
Hope ya figure it out dude~
Back to top Go down
Spark

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates?   Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 4:22 am

jyam wrote:
Stupid question.. Rolling Eyes how is the clutch cable itself?Streched,frayed out of adjustment?I've changed mine acouple of times now,once the lever cut some strands and once due to wear.I think the 15/50 maybe a lil heavy i dunno.My 08' has been awesome to me and have never had ANY problems with it NOTHING!!
Well one prob CAN'T STOP HAVING FUN dunno
Hope ya figure it out dude~

The cable seems to be ok. the Adjustment is working with very fine tuning (should it be really sensitive?) anyway I've decided to take it to a shop (different one- I've talked to the guy he seems ok compared to the rest of the rip offs here in Israel).

Thanks again for the seems
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates?   Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates? Empty

Back to top Go down

Clutch replacement, full kit or just plates?
Page 1 of 1