Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

If our wrr/x didn't exist...

Go down 
+5
IAmABug
gatorfan
motokid
skierd
mucker
9 posters
AuthorMessage
mucker

mucker

If our wrr/x didn't exist... Empty
PostSubject: If our wrr/x didn't exist...   If our wrr/x didn't exist... EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 12:23 am

Just curious...but if we didn't have a wrr/x as an option,and assuming we all like our choice in some way...
...what would you consider the best dualsport, factory built, bike?..or the best bike to replace your wrr/x?

I'm going with my second pick, a drz400, but wonder if a lighter bike is what I desire. And I can't seem to stop craving a 2 stroke for some reason...but all considered, my choices are limited.
For the whole package, one bike, what would it be?
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: If our wrr/x didn't exist...   If our wrr/x didn't exist... EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 1:07 am

If the WR250R didn't exist I'd probably have a DRZ400S and still wishing I had a 6th gear/be really good at changing the front sprocket.

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: If our wrr/x didn't exist...   If our wrr/x didn't exist... EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 9:39 am

I wanted a supermoto.

I'd like to think I'd have ended up with a KTM, but more than likely it would have been a drz400sm.

I'd also like to think I'd have sold that drz400sm by now and gotten a KTM if that's the way things had happened.

And yes - if the right offer came around, and the right deal was available, I'd sell the X and buy the KTM. dunno

But I'm not actively trying to sell the X. I do scan want ads from time to time though. Pray

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: If our wrr/x didn't exist...   If our wrr/x didn't exist... EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 11:52 am

+1 DRZ 400

I won't go any smaller so I'd go up a click - gaining weight and grunt.

Finding a bike that will hold 75mph, be nimble off road and sturdy enough to do adventure touring is a very narrow window. The WR does it about as well as it can be done.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: If our wrr/x didn't exist...   If our wrr/x didn't exist... EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 12:49 pm

gatorfan wrote:
+1 DRZ 400

Finding a bike that will hold 75mph, be nimble off road and sturdy enough to do adventure touring is a very narrow window. The WR does it about as well as it can be done.

You CAN"T go smaller. Can you?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: If our wrr/x didn't exist...   If our wrr/x didn't exist... EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 1:55 pm

motokid wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
+1 DRZ 400

If that's a joke I missed it. If not, then, my point is if you go any smaller you can't do the things I listed. The WR just about does it.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: If our wrr/x didn't exist...   If our wrr/x didn't exist... EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 5:55 pm

Newer, DRZ400, no brainer for me. I have had other 200/250s and they are not good unless you are a beginner or just like to putt. Which actually made it hard for me to by the WRR. But, as we all know, it exceeds every other "small" bike by leaps and bounds.

I would actually look for an older XR350/400/500 and fix it up to rip. The old Honda's where good on power and reliable.

KTMs and other exotics are wicked bikes, but I like reliability and longetivity over bling
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If our wrr/x didn't exist...   If our wrr/x didn't exist... EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 11:36 pm

I want to have the wide ratio transmission and e-start. That leaves out the DRZ400's. I've had only narrow ratio bikes and I'm tired of changing sprockets. Other wide ratio reliable trail bikes I considered

- Yamaha TT-R250 with big bore kit and DS kit
- Pre-2009 KLX250

I think that's about it. Less reliable but still maybe OK and not too expensive used:

- KTM 400 EXC
- KTM 450 EXC
Back to top Go down
IndigoWolf

IndigoWolf

PostSubject: Re: If our wrr/x didn't exist...   If our wrr/x didn't exist... EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 6:51 am

motokid wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
+1 DRZ 400

Yes you can go smaller... The TW200 and the TW125 that is available across the pond. Both can reach 75mph although not hold it. Both are very capable adventure tourers.

( I should ad that they can hit those speeds when modded out properly at the usual loss of low end grunt. )
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: If our wrr/x didn't exist...   If our wrr/x didn't exist... EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 1:47 pm

Probably a KLX250 but it would need many mods to the engine & suspension.

Last edited by sswrx on Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: If our wrr/x didn't exist...   If our wrr/x didn't exist... EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 11:31 pm

IndigoWolf wrote:

Yes you can go smaller... The TW200 and the TW125 that is available across the pond. Both can reach 75mph although not hold it. Both are very capable adventure tourers.

( I should ad that they can hit those speeds when modded out properly at the usual loss of low end grunt. )

No way. I had a TW200. You are not holding even 70. Maybe 65 with mods. Not good enough. If you can't hold 75 it's not street worthy.
Back to top Go down
Me2

PostSubject: Re: If our wrr/x didn't exist...   If our wrr/x didn't exist... EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 1:08 am

I would probably just stick with my YZ250F and truck, which means that I couldn't ride nearly as much as I like to.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: If our wrr/x didn't exist...   If our wrr/x didn't exist... EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 12:13 pm

If our wrr/x didn't exist... 2008-ktm-690-smc-4_460x0w

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: If our wrr/x didn't exist...   If our wrr/x didn't exist... EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 12:38 pm

My smaller bike would be a Super Sherpa. I used to have one and loved it. I got the WR250R and did not need it anymore. It was a very easy to ride bike and I would say much easier to ride on rough terrain than the WR, just not as fast. It liked to go slow and crawl up obstacles instead of jumping them. It did pretty well on the highway but could really only go about 73 on flat ground.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If our wrr/x didn't exist...   If our wrr/x didn't exist... Empty

Back to top Go down

If our wrr/x didn't exist...
Page 1 of 1