Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

"New" fuel pump

Go down 
+2
Heoz
Jdcooper
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jdcooper

"New" fuel pump Empty
PostSubject: "New" fuel pump   "New" fuel pump EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 11:37 am

Would someone please post a picture of the new, less failure-prone 2009+ fuel pump. I bought one to put in the IMS tank I'm installing, and before I tear everything apart I want to confirm they (Ron Ayers) sent me the correct pump. I've searched for 20 minutes, and I KNOW someone, somewhere posted a side by side pic of the old and new pumps together. I just can't find it.

Thanx!
Back to top Go down
Heoz

"New" fuel pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: "New" fuel pump   "New" fuel pump EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 12:01 pm

My understanding is that the internals of the pump changed. They look the same from the outside and the newer pump has the same part number as the old one.

http://www.wrrdualsport.com/tech-guide/fuelsystem/118-fuel-pump-rr

Note that the old pump in the pictures is slightly modified for the Safari tank - metal dealie on the top held on by a zip tie.
Back to top Go down
Jdcooper

"New" fuel pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: "New" fuel pump   "New" fuel pump EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Heoz wrote:
My understanding is that the internals of the pump changed. They look the same from the outside and the newer pump has the same part number as the old one.

http://www.wrrdualsport.com/tech-guide/fuelsystem/118-fuel-pump-rr

Note that the old pump in the pictures is slightly modified for the Safari tank - metal dealie on the top held on by a zip tie.

I think you're right.. The old and "new" are visually the same. Same part number, too. Guess I'll take it on faith that the internal pump mechanism is the updated one.
Thanx for the reply :)
Back to top Go down
jglow

"New" fuel pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: "New" fuel pump   "New" fuel pump EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 12:32 pm

I went ahead and replaced my fuel pump when I got a new tank just to be proactive dunno . I examined the old and new pumps and could find no difference between the two, with the exception of the color of the filter on the old fuel pump (from use). It was my understanding as well that it was a bad batch and all internal - no visual change to note.

Jordan
Back to top Go down
railbird

railbird

"New" fuel pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: "New" fuel pump   "New" fuel pump EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 1:02 pm

The bad pumps were only on production models in early 2008, approx. 1000 units. Yamaha removed all old pumps from parts stock and informed all dealers to return any old stock on their shelves. Check the paper label on the box for a date of production printed right below the part number. Letter followed by six numbers, the first 2 signify the year. example T101214B = December 14, 2010.
Back to top Go down
Jdcooper

"New" fuel pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: "New" fuel pump   "New" fuel pump EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 1:13 pm

railbird wrote:
The bad pumps were only on production models in early 2008, approx. 1000 units. Yamaha removed all old pumps from parts stock and informed all dealers to return any old stock on their shelves. Check the paper label on the box for a date of production printed right below the part number. Letter followed by six numbers, the first 2 signify the year. example T101214B = December 14, 2010.

Excellent information ! I would have never figured that out by myself. This forum (and it's members) is the greatest !
Mine was built Sept 03 2011. Perfect !
Back to top Go down
CaptainPwnage

"New" fuel pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: "New" fuel pump   "New" fuel pump EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 9:35 pm

Mine is a 2008 model but manufactured in 2007 and an Australian model, does that mean I'm safe from this? I've already put on 6000km without issue.
Back to top Go down
railbird

railbird

"New" fuel pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: "New" fuel pump   "New" fuel pump EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 9:44 pm

I'm not 100% positive about it but you should be past the normal failure mileage. The failures in the Zuma 50's (same pump) seemed to be heat related PLUS multiple starts and very low mileage runs.
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

"New" fuel pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: "New" fuel pump   "New" fuel pump EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 12:33 am

Thanks for the good info Railbird,,,,,I replaced my pump last year just for the piece of mind..it acted up on me 2 years ago,it left me stranded for about an hour far from home..it seemed to straighten out on it's own and got me home...I wish Yamaha would just come out with a recall..I read somewhere on here that there is a recall in Japan but not here....well I figured out with your help that my new pump was built December 06,2010.so I should be good,,,,thanks..Jason
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

"New" fuel pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: "New" fuel pump   "New" fuel pump Empty

Back to top Go down

"New" fuel pump
Page 1 of 1