Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Identify this sound?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
xaman

Identify this sound? Empty
PostSubject: Identify this sound?   Identify this sound? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 10:28 pm

I've been hearing a little noise up front upon take off, and wondering if it's something to fret about... It sounds to me like something to do with the brake pads, but not sure if it could be bearings?

Can you tell? Any recommendations?

https://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i138/xamaneli/d824ed91.mp4
Back to top Go down
Pilsner

PostSubject: Re: Identify this sound?   Identify this sound? EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 10:36 pm

xaman wrote:
I've been hearing a little noise up front upon take off, and wondering if it's something to fret about... It sounds to me like something to do with the brake pads, but not sure if it could be bearings?

Sounds like brake pads to me. Take off the caliper and see if it goes away, 2bolts.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Identify this sound?   Identify this sound? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 6:34 am

Pilsner wrote:
xaman wrote:

Sounds like brake pads to me. Take off the caliper and see if it goes away, 2bolts.

thumb

What pilsner said. Do that.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
xaman

PostSubject: Re: Identify this sound?   Identify this sound? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 4:37 pm

Okay, so I took off the caliper and the sound did go away.

What now? Previous owner said he replaced the pads recently,mut I don't really know how to tell if they are bad or good... Is there an adjustment?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Identify this sound?   Identify this sound? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 4:44 pm

Has the bike been sitting all winter?

It's normal for the pads to drag just a teeny tiny bit on the disc.

If the bike has been sitting for a while perhaps the pads are not retracting as far as they "should"?

Ride the bike. Have fun. Put some good miles on her.

Then check again.

In other words...I don't think I'd be overly worried at this point.

It's possible they calipers need a little lubrication, but it's also possible it's just from sitting all winter and the noise will go away once you've worked the brakes under a real load for a few dozen miles.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Pilsner

PostSubject: Re: Identify this sound?   Identify this sound? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 4:51 pm

New pads need to break in. Give it some miles. Noise will go away or get worse. If it gets worse they are cheap quality pads, put in some OEM ones or comparable.
Back to top Go down
xaman

PostSubject: Re: Identify this sound?   Identify this sound? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 5:05 pm

Okay, I think I'm being overly sensitive, as they do grab well. It was barely discernible as I rolled off from a stop, primarily when I was rolling downhill without the engine engaged. I never heard it over the engine/skid plate singing together.

They don't seem to have the wear marks of the factory pads in the book pictures, so I'm not sure what kind they are. I'll just keep an eye on them.

Thanks for your help gentlemen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Identify this sound?   Identify this sound? Empty

Back to top Go down

Identify this sound?
Page 1 of 1