Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New Billet Cargo Rack Available

Go down 
+96
Klymax
wwguy
dicklane625
ToddDubya
kabulpostie
Leo167
manybikes
fijiman
speersie
voicecraft
MjrD
Jäger
sehah
twinrider
DWK
vodka
Wanderer
wjfawb0
PortlandWRider
nsrider
vnp514
jawn
TheCycle
AZNoob
Drifter Dave
f3joel
Lord Hornka
nolowatt
rsteiger
hyperboarder
raymondhenson
lineguy
dirtjunkie
bluzharp
rideblue
WR25RY
Wrex250
yamaMOTOyama
aw113sgte
nozzle
mordicai
Rusty Shovel
Crabbuckle
miniceptor86
Nine Ways
TinyL
jec
808BMW
sswrx
Opie
Sewcrates
StreetGhost
sikwilly
wristpin
Nanabijou
TrailDust&SaddleLthr
Rockmantex
Camdlux
xaman
Corndogs
Mr. Fisherman
oldmansurfing
Pokey
Alan Case
bracky72
derverla
paknet
nwbase
JustWannaRide
mcwbyu82
Brianr4
Monkeynuts
Blackdog
motocrossmann
zag300zx
Arkmage
croc
bmwrider1946
Curbhopper
Me2
WRXR
IAmABug
Gany
jkstehn
sturgeon
GsVs
jason meacham
lenzhotrod
Coop
craigq
gatorfan
PYG RYDR
yaw
motokid
Chrispy1200
Jnscaggs
100 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Jnscaggs

Jnscaggs

New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 12:22 am

I did some research on the rotopax mounts. Wow, that is pretty cool, I had not even heard of them before so pardon my delay in response to this question. I am not sure how I could incorporate that without actually buying a bunch of stuff to figure out bolt patterns for the mounts. I saw however that they do sell generic mounting plates that look like they could be attached to just about anything, my racks included. If any one has one and could give me more insight on mounting hole patterns I'm sure we could work something out, for the record rapid prototyping and machining sum up my 9-5 job description so I would be happy to make some custom parts.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 8:35 am

Jnscaggs wrote:
Ok guys I have modified a rack with the strap slots and am looking for some feedback.

thumb thumb thumb
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 8:52 am

Jnscaggs wrote:
Ok guys I have modified a rack with the strap slots and am looking for some feedback.

bow bow

By far - the best looking, most righteous rack ever.

You hit a home run with that piece. A work of art.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
GsVs

PostSubject: Rotopax --    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 2:21 pm

Hey ...

I'm near by and have one .. sent you a PM

Jnscaggs wrote:
I did some research on the rotopax mounts. Wow, that is pretty cool, I had not even heard of them before so pardon my delay in response to this question. I am not sure how I could incorporate that without actually buying a bunch of stuff to figure out bolt patterns for the mounts. I saw however that they do sell generic mounting plates that look like they could be attached to just about anything, my racks included. If any one has one and could give me more insight on mounting hole patterns I'm sure we could work something out, for the record rapid prototyping and machining sum up my 9-5 job description so I would be happy to make some custom parts.
Back to top Go down
Me2

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 7:38 pm

Beautiful! And being a man, I don't use that word lightly. I'm in for one of these, for sure. I'll wait a few days and see what happens with the Rotopax mounts.
Back to top Go down
Curbhopper

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 8:43 pm

One of the nicest rack I've seen. thumb
Now what must I do to get one with slots?
Back to top Go down
jkstehn

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 12:45 am

I received the slot version in the mail tonight. Looks great! Please excuse the dim lighting and cell phone pics. I will try to get some outdoor shots with a better camera soon.

New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 Imag0114

New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 Imag0117

New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 Imag0118
Back to top Go down
Jnscaggs

Jnscaggs

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 12:48 am

Looking good!
Back to top Go down
jkstehn

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 1:06 am

Jnscaggs wrote:
Looking good!

You did some real nice work. Beautifull machining. All the necessary pieces neatly packed in a bag. The smoothed and rounded edges of the spacers shows your attention to detail. Goes together quickly. Seat off with loosening 2 bolts, side panels off with loosening 2 bolts, rear fender slides off to the back after removing two bolts , drill out the holes in the spots molded into the bottom of the rear fender (thanks Yamaha) use either a round file or enlarge the holes to 1/2 inch if you have a bit that big. Smooth out the edges of the four holes with the aforementioned round file or sandpaper wrapped around a dowel or screwdriver. Remove the four bolts that hold the rear mudguard/rearlight holder/license plate mount whale tail monstrosity in place. Put the fender back on, bolt it down with two bolts. Put the four spacers in, put on the rack, drop the socket head bolts in the holes, wiggle until they catch threads in the whale tail bracket, tighten. Side panels on, find the bolts that you kicked under the canoes, Shog put them in, tighten. Seat on, two bolts, tighten. 1.5 hours with dinner and a frosty dutch beverage in the intermission.

Looks sweet.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 6:16 pm

Looks great!
Back to top Go down
bmwrider1946

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 7:36 pm

I just bought a Pro Moto but if you make one with a Rotopax mount I will buy it and sell the Pro Moto. Very attractive looking addition.
Back to top Go down
Jnscaggs

Jnscaggs

PostSubject: Strength test on the rack   New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 2:43 pm

I decided to see how strong the mounting bolts and rack itself are. I hanged it by two straps one thru the rack and one around the handlebars. Enjoy the pictures!
New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 Hang310
New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 Hang112
New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 Hang210
Back to top Go down
croc

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 3:27 pm

I'm interested in one. PM sent.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:56 pm

Rotopax compatible is a matter of drilling holes. You'll need precise dimensions or an actual mounting kit. It may require a design mod too as there may not be billet in your design where the holes need to be.

Anyway, here is a look at a similar rack (though not as sweet as yours) with holes for Rotopax.

Click Here ----> AMS Rack Scroll down to Rotopax version.

Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 5:00 pm

It's too bad so many of us already have tail racks. You would have sold a boat load of these. They are hands down the best looking and arguably the most functional rack available. I hope you do sell a bunch.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 5:36 pm

gatorfan wrote:
Rotopax compatible is a matter of drilling holes. You'll need precise dimensions or an actual mounting kit. It may require a design mod too as there may not be billet in your design where the holes need to be.

Anyway, here is a look at a similar rack (though not as sweet as yours) with holes for Rotopax.

Click Here ----> AMS Rack Scroll down to Rotopax version.

I'm in the market for a rack and right now am planning on going the AMS route for the givi monokey compatibility and the rotopax mounting both.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 6:27 pm

Arkmage wrote:

I'm in the market for a rack and right now am planning on going the AMS route for the givi monokey compatibility and the rotopax mounting both.

I would contact jnscaggs and see if he can do those mods for you.
Back to top Go down
Jnscaggs

Jnscaggs

PostSubject: Givi Monokey and Rotopax   New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 6:46 pm

I have begun working on these two mods, I actually have layed out the hole pattern for the rotopax mount in the existing rack and that would be simple to add to any rack I have made already (thanks Larry and Gany!)

As far as the givi monokey I havent found enough info about that yet to guarantee that it will work with my existing design.

I am trying to make a product that will satisfy you guys' needs but it's taking some time. I really appreciate all the suggestions and feedback I have received so far.

In the next week or so I plan to get a rotopax mounted and get the givi mount figured out.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 7:17 pm

Sweet stuff. I'll wait and see what you come up with.

For the monokey you may have to make the rack more "square" then it's current triangular shape. If so, you may want to consider 2 sizes if it is cost effective. Some folks may prefer the smaller size like you have now instead of GIVI compatibility.
Back to top Go down
zag300zx

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 12:58 am

I'm not really looking for a GIVI rack, so I'd be more interested in the final version of what he has now.

I'll take one when you get it finalized! lurk
Back to top Go down
Jnscaggs

Jnscaggs

PostSubject: RotoPax and Givi mounts   New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 10:40 am

I have given this a lot of thought in the last 24 hours and there is one issue that would just irritate the crap out of me. If I were to put a rotopax mount directly to the rack the only way to install/uninstall it would be to remove the entire rack and flip it over to gain access to those two bolts holding it on, because the rotopax mount will be right in the middle it would make the rack almost useless unless you are carrying the rotopax. I also checked the hole pattern for the Givi Monokey mounts (thanks Larry!) and it cannot be placed in the rack. Its just to big width wise. So my thought is an extra wide 3/16 aluminum plate cut out in a stylish fashion that bolts directly to the rack through four of the existing perimeter holes and would have all the rotopax and Givi hole patterns in it. It would look similar without all the windows cut out of the middle and being 1 inch wider on each side with perimeter slots similar to the rack itself.

The general idea is
1. the plate would be adaptable to any rack I have made thus far.
2. It would basically give you three different rack options
3 It could be easily removed for using just the slender stylish rack thats hiding underneath when you don't need to bring a gallon of gas or entire Givi case
4. I think I could make them and sell them for $50 or less
In my personal opinion I think this would be the best way to go

Let me know what you guys think, I have it sketched out but no proto's yet
Back to top Go down
GsVs

PostSubject: RotoPax   New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 11:04 am

Hey Jared ...

You should not have to use the RotoPax supplied “plate” --- just the RotoPax “mount” – check your email
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 11:06 am

gatorfan wrote:
Rotopax compatible is a matter of drilling holes. You'll need precise dimensions or an actual mounting kit.

The mount only costs $25 if you need dimensions. My personal preference would be to omit the bottom plate on the mount, and just use the two holes in the mount itself. I've got many 1,000's of km on two different bikes using that setup. Here's the mount as sold by Rotopax:

New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 RX-PM%20D-01

And here's mine bolted to the plate of an OEM rack, minus that bottom plate and the T-handle:

New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 Img_0010
Back to top Go down
GsVs

PostSubject: Bolts - down   New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 11:43 am

Yes ...

since your plate is so thick --- just tap your holes and use 6mm bolts down into tapped holes ... and easy from the top install and removal of the RotoPax mount with an allen wrench

New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 WR-RackRPS1
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 11:59 am

GsVs wrote:
Yes ...

since your plate is so thick --- just tap your holes and use 6mm bolts down into tapped holes ... and easy from the top install and removal of the RotoPax mount with an allen wrench

New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 WR-RackRPS1

Not sure you can bolt it from the top. There might not be enough room for the head, plus there's threads at the bottom of those two holes. And the way that one is pictured is not my own preference. With the mount inline with the bike, the can(s) sit crossways. I prefer mine rotated 90°, so the whole thing is narrower, rather than have the container stick out the sides.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Billet Cargo Rack Available    New Billet Cargo Rack Available  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

New Billet Cargo Rack Available
Page 2 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next