Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Blackdog's WRR build

Go down 
+10
gordofrog
pfy50
kangolo
TurbStLCards
Nanabijou
bracky72
jason meacham
NAL250R
Coop
Blackdog
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Blackdog

Blackdog

Blackdog's WRR build Empty
PostSubject: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 11:59 pm

I started off with this. A brand new 2011 WRR that looks just like every other WRR.

Blackdog's WRR build WR250R001

My goal was to first lower the seat height to around 35". I installed a Yamalink when the odometer showed 3 miles. I set the sag at 4.5". This dropped it 1".

Blackdog's WRR build 004-2

I needed a way to carry stuff so I bought a rack from Automotive Machinery. I than added a RotoPax tank. My tail bag fits perfectly on top.

Blackdog's WRR build 005-2

Blackdog's WRR build 006-3

Blackdog's WRR build 007-3

I still needed the seat a little lower. I heard many good things about "Seat Concepts" so I bought their "low" seat. I had the local upholstery shop install it for $20. I have not put it on the bike yet.

Blackdog's WRR build WR250seat003
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Nice. I am going to be ordering one of those seats soon.
Back to top Go down
NAL250R

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 9:10 pm

Looking forward to knowing how comfy that new seat is! The stock seat gets uncomfortable really quick!
Back to top Go down
Blackdog

Blackdog

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 10:11 pm

I just ordered that Moose plastic skid plate everyones been raving about.
Back to top Go down
Blackdog

Blackdog

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 3:03 pm

With the link and low seat the seat height is 34 3/4 with no weigth on the bike. I took it for a test ride yesterday, sure was nice to be able to touch the ground. The new seat was very comfortable.

Blackdog's WRR build WR250ROldDallesRoad014
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 4:29 pm

How is the comfort with the "low" seat? I would like to get one as I am only 5'10" or so but I worry it will be brutal on longer rides since it is thinner.
Back to top Go down
Blackdog

Blackdog

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 5:58 pm

Coop wrote:
How is the comfort with the "low" seat? I would like to get one as I am only 5'10" or so but I worry it will be brutal on longer rides since it is thinner.

The seat is thinner but it's wider where your butt goes. I believer it's a slightly denser foam also. It is definitely an improvement over stock. Here you can see a comparison, the white one is the new seat.

Blackdog's WRR build WR250seat001
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 6:55 pm

Great thanks.
Back to top Go down
Blackdog

Blackdog

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 1:16 pm

Just installed the Moose skid plate. I can't really tell if it's any noisier which is good.

Blackdog's WRR build SkidplateWR250R003
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 10:27 pm

I like the skidplate,,,,how much was it ??
Back to top Go down
Blackdog

Blackdog

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 11:17 pm

jason meacham wrote:
I like the skidplate,,,,how much was it ??

About $150 from Motorcycle Superstores. Free shipping.
Back to top Go down
Blackdog

Blackdog

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 11:29 pm

The next mod will be bars and hand protection. I would like some bars about 1 inch higher but I want something that works with the stock wires and cables. I'm thinking about going with the Highway dirt bike fat bars, top clamp and guards. Any suggestions?

Also, thinking about a small wind screen. I'm still researching this.
Back to top Go down
Blackdog

Blackdog

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 1:24 am

I just put a Giant Loop MoJavi bag on. It's great for a tire repair kit, tools, food and water.

Blackdog's WRR build ThreeCornerRockTDlandscape011
Back to top Go down
bracky72

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 7:04 am

I'd rotate the roto mount in case the gas can leaks. I know roto makes a solid tank but accidents happen... Gas leaking onto the exhaust would be very bad. :)
Back to top Go down
Blackdog

Blackdog

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 1:02 am

I just installed the Highway Dirt Bike's top and bottom ADV clamp/Contour Henry Reed bars/hand guards/mirrors. The ADV top clamp is a piece of art and features mounts for my GPS, Powerlet plugs and switches. The mirrors fold inside the handguards when the going gets rough.

Blackdog's WRR build HandguardsWR250R005

Blackdog's WRR build HandguardsWR250R006

Blackdog's WRR build HandguardsWR250R007

Blackdog's WRR build HandguardsWR250R008

Blackdog's WRR build HandguardsWR250R009
Back to top Go down
Nanabijou

Nanabijou

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 1:48 pm

Wow Blackdog - very nice. Will definitely put this on my list. A very stylish, tidy, and useful mod. Very practical for adventure riders.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 6:38 pm

Looking good dude!
Back to top Go down
Blackdog

Blackdog

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 1:06 am

I took a Wolfman left bag mount, welded a plate to it than mounted the Rotopax tank. This freed up my rear luggage rack. I looked at a bunch of tail bags and found that the one that fit the best is the one I used on the Buell before I sold it.

Blackdog's WRR build WRRtankandtailbag001

Blackdog's WRR build WRRtankandtailbag002

Blackdog's WRR build WRRtankandtailbag003

I think I'm getting close to being done. I'd still like to find a small windscreen and maybe a steerng damper.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 6:44 am

I tried the $4 Velcro on Harbor Freight blast shield windscreen guys on here make. I didn't notice any difference at all so I chucked it.
Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 11:03 pm

Take that KLR650!

Nice bike!

thumb
Back to top Go down
kangolo

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 12:20 pm

I really like the Rotopax setup on the Wolfman rack!
I wonder how it would work with the larger Giant Loop Coyote saddlebags, I see the passenger peg is still there to attach to.
Back to top Go down
Blackdog

Blackdog

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 12:36 pm

kangolo wrote:
I really like the Rotopax setup on the Wolfman rack!
I wonder how it would work with the larger Giant Loop Coyote saddlebags, I see the passenger peg is still there to attach to.

I think it would work great. I'm buying a GL Coyote bag for my next big trip.
Back to top Go down
Blackdog

Blackdog

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 11:57 am

Just installed a Sandman case saver. Ivan makes some great stuff. I'm almost done....really!

Blackdog's WRR build WallaWallaFriendKingslygraveyardHydegravesite008

Out on a mini adventure ride.

Blackdog's WRR build WallaWallaFriendKingslygraveyardHydegravesite013

I'm starting to bond with this bike. I can keep up with the big bikes I ride with and when things get rough the fun factor goes up.
Back to top Go down
Blackdog

Blackdog

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 11:08 pm

I just got back from an Arizona adventure trip. Here it is near Globe. Everything is working out fine.

Blackdog's WRR build 3b9f7dafe8d5dc4feda98e0deb29999b
Back to top Go down
Blackdog

Blackdog

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 11:16 pm

Here's a video that was taken going through Box Canyon and than Mendoza Mine. I'm the one in the yellow jacket. The first part is a little boring but it gets better.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=VJImJ15l_Bc&hd=1&feature=youtu.be&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVJImJ15l_Bc%26feature%3Dyoutu.be%26hd%3D1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blackdog's WRR build   Blackdog's WRR build Empty

Back to top Go down

Blackdog's WRR build
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next