Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How much oil? (Yeah, I know, stupid question.)

Go down 
+12
Evol
GT-250
DougZ
Berwyn Henderson
Rapid Dog
motokid
sturgeon
KLRchickie
hell0men
mucker
ramz
emoose
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Evol

Evol

How much oil?  (Yeah, I know, stupid question.) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much oil? (Yeah, I know, stupid question.)   How much oil?  (Yeah, I know, stupid question.) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 8:32 pm

Well, I did about 4800 km (3000 mi) this summer and did my yearly oil change...  Very happy
I used the same (product models) K&N oil filter (KN-140) and 1.3L of Motul 7100 Ester 10W40 100% synthetic oil again since the bike ran great all summer with this combo.
I figure I'll change the filter every time since they are fairly cheap and I seem to run the full interval. Shog

1.3L was SPOT ON with a new oil filter !!!
I've been riding it for the past 2 weeks since I did the oil change and all is good !! thumb
Back to top Go down
Fly man

PostSubject: Re: How much oil? (Yeah, I know, stupid question.)   How much oil?  (Yeah, I know, stupid question.) - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 12:08 pm

I have been doing lots of reading the past few days. There are a lot of oil threads....wow. i would probably be shot by many if they kndw how i change theoil in all my 4 stroke bikes and my gf's dirt bike to. I just buy large amounts of the same oil at walmart and use it in every bike. Never had a problem but maybe i just got lucky so far. :)
Back to top Go down
Fly man

PostSubject: Re: How much oil? (Yeah, I know, stupid question.)   How much oil?  (Yeah, I know, stupid question.) - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 2:20 pm

In case anyone cares. A quart is only 94.6% of a liter. So while close it is not the exact same as adding a liter of oil if you add just a quart. Plus you never get every drop of oil out of the container your pouring it from. And if it was my bike and i could choose between it being 0.1 liter too much or too little....i woukx take it being too much. As the oil level will only ever go down. If your bike is making oil as you ride it has a serious issue!
Back to top Go down
Von551

PostSubject: Re: How much oil? (Yeah, I know, stupid question.)   How much oil?  (Yeah, I know, stupid question.) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2016 12:46 am

If you do the conversion from liters to ounces it's 1 quart plus 15 ounces of oil with a filter change. That's what I do.
Back to top Go down
2stroke

PostSubject: Re: How much oil? (Yeah, I know, stupid question.)   How much oil?  (Yeah, I know, stupid question.) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2016 12:19 pm

I find if the bike drains overnight more oil will drain out than if you just wait until it stops dripping. That might explain your higher reading.
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: How much oil? (Yeah, I know, stupid question.)   How much oil?  (Yeah, I know, stupid question.) - Page 2 EmptyFri May 12, 2017 3:12 pm

To do it by the book there's also a bleeder bolt to loosen when you first start the bike after a change... Am I the only one that loosens it when it's draining to get as much old oil out as possible? I know this might be dryer when first starting the bike, but they are assuming it's gonna drain outa there anyways or they wouldn't suggest you open it... Still only takes a couple seconds for oil to start comin out, and doin it with the bike warm there should be some coating left... I don't see the harm... I still think I'm on the low side as far as the recommended amount, but I do it the old fashioned way of addin a quart plus a little, bleeding, letting it heat up, n checkin the level again.... So who knows... I also would have to agree on the max being a dry rebuild amount. I don't think you'll ever get all the oil out of every passage n bearing...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much oil? (Yeah, I know, stupid question.)   How much oil?  (Yeah, I know, stupid question.) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

How much oil? (Yeah, I know, stupid question.)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2