Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Are high end helmets worth the money?

Go down 
+18
Coop
jefmad
X-Racer
sturgeon
sswrx
skierd
oic0
Arkmage
xaman
YamahaTN
motokid
mucker
dtx
Chrispy1200
Pokey
bigg
saddletramp
kpmnc24
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kpmnc24

Are high end helmets worth the money? Empty
PostSubject: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 2:50 pm

Looking for a new helmet and I wonder if Shoei are worth $400 vs. a $200 helmet. I tried a Shoei on and it fits very nicely.

What brands are good around $200 these days for a full face helmet? I have a Scorpion I like but it's old. I want to get Snell approved as well as DOT.
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 4:40 pm

Classic response to this one is - "How much is your head worth to you?"

But seriously, you cannot go by price alone. Fitment, feel, safety features are most important features. If you look closely you will see why one is $200 and another is $400. For example I like modular helmets for my street bikes and had an HJC CL Max for a few years prior to getting my Shoei Multitec. Day and night difference in terms of quietness, quality components, etc and I can easily see why the Shoei is more expensive. Whether it is twice as good because it is roughly twice as expensive is highly debatable and only you can answer that for your own situation.

WebBikeWorld has some great reviews of helmets by the way - in case you were unaware of that site. Good luck in your research and choice.

Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Don't know if this applies to america, but I'll input my thought anyway.

In europe a helmet is a trendy/fashion item as well as protective gear. So the brand new model with the latest design and cool/hip graphics or "in" colour will be the most expensive. If you wait for the next year, the exact same helmet can be half the price as it's not in anymore. So be careful with what you pick. And often you can save a lot of money by buying last years model (which in terms of safety is exactly the same as the new one) but can save you lots of cash because of the "old" graphics.

And generally, if both helmets have passed the same test and regulations (in your case Snell and DOT), they will in 90% of cases provide the same protection. However there might be substantial differences in build quality, quietness, comfort etc. But generally in terms of safety I would consider a $200 helmet and a $400 helmet (almost) equal in protectiviness if both passed the same test/regulations.

of course, comfort and quietness is a big factor, so choose wisely!
Back to top Go down
Pokey

Pokey

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 5:02 pm

They are all safe.....it comes down to fit, weight, features, quality and finish, comfort and noise.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Pokey wrote:
They are all safe.....it comes down to fit, weight, features, quality and finish, comfort and noise.

+1

Motorcyclist magazine did a great article on helmets a few years back. Can't find it right now but I'm sure it's out there.

Personally, I buy low to medium priced helmets but change them often.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 5:52 pm

They all work,better lids last longer. What you want to look at is who made as some are made by the same company under diffrent names,like HJC and Z1R same company but the use diffrent sizing. Bell was bought out again so the lids are better than they were few years back. I like Shoei ,they just last longer and have less wind noise.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 6:37 pm

I think the way it was put to me was...if you got a 10 cent head, get a 10 cent helmet.
Back to top Go down
Pokey

Pokey

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 7:41 pm

mucker wrote:
I think the way it was put to me was...if you got a 10 cent head, get a 10 cent helmet.

And that theory regarding "paying more for a safer helmet" has been debunked.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 7:43 pm

I refuse to pay Shoei and Arai prices. Way to fucking high. Insane. I don't think they're worth the price.

You can absolutely get a very good helmet for $200 or less.

AGV makes some great helmets.

I've stopped wearing a fullface and have grown to REALLY like the MX helmet with goggles.

I would only go fullface if I was doing serious long distance mileage on superslabs.
Or knew I had to ride in rain.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
YamahaTN

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 9:00 pm

I have an Arai XD-3 that I really like. Only reason I have it is because it was on closeout for a couple hundred bucks. I hate wearing goggles. I have dark safety glasses on under the helmet. The glasses came from the local hardware store and have the Stihl Chainsaw logo on them. When I am on the trails, the visor is up and it is down at high speed on the streets. This has been the perfect set-up for me.
Back to top Go down
xaman

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 9:29 pm

I'm fairly new to riding and bought two different $100 range helmets right off the bat.

Then I found an Arai profile for sale at a Dealership "black Friday garage sale" for $110. I have a long oval head shape without a doubt (always had to have my cowboy hats in oval) so my opinion is extreme --- but it fits SO good and therefore is 1.) comfortable (no aching red forehead rub spots) and 2.) blocks SO much wind noise (no 1" gap around my ears).

Honestly, if I was forced to buy another helmet tomorrow, I'd be looking for a high end helmet on sale. Unless someone can tell me a true long oval fit in a mid grade helmet. Or better yet, who makes a dual sport helmet in long oval???

But my point to the OP is that a good comfortable fit, especially if you intend to log long miles (I rode my WRx over 500 miles today) is worth a few hundred bucks IMO.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 11:38 pm

My Arai is more comfortable and more quiet than any other helmet I've owned.

I have a funky head shape and the Arai Profile is the only lid out of 20 I tried on at the gear shop that fit well out of the box.

I paid about $300 more than what I consider reasonable, but I figure for a quality lid that I'll likely use for 5 years or more it's not that bad.

Buy what fits and what you consider to be comfortable... it costs what it costs.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 4:24 am

Sometimes the more expensive ones are also able to offer the same protection in a thinner helmet. I got a bell arrow for $50 (was on sale). Its a great helmet... but I look like a friggen bobble head. On the up side though, its such a tight secure fit on my head, there is very little wind noise.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 4:27 am

Some people find expensive helmets more comfortable. Some people take comfort in the expense...

Since my motorcycle is my only form of transportation, I buy the most comfortable helmet I can. I wish a KBC, HJC, Shark, or any of the other lower priced brands fit me as well as my Shoei's have, but they don't as I seem to have a Shoei head.

One downside of the more expensive helmets is that you'll be less apt to replace it after a small get off that may or may not have compromised the integrity of the helmet. My dirt lid was a cheaper HJC for that reason. It *sucked* to replace my RF1000 with a Hornet DS after my crash last winter. I should probably consider replacing my Hornet sooner than later thanks to the two spills I had on the AlCan on my move north, but I haven't been able to afford to (and there aren't any shops in Fairbanks that carry Shoei budah ).

Buy whatever helmet fits the best, regardless of price, if you're going to be riding a lot. As long as its DOT, Snell, or ECE rated it will protect you.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 11:11 am

oic0 wrote:
Sometimes the more expensive ones are also able to offer the same protection in a thinner helmet.

That's a good point. My current Arai weighs a fair amount less than my previous Joe Rocket/HJC helmet. Much less fatiguing during a long ride.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 1:00 pm

Pretty much what everyone has already said, the bottom line is it will be you wearing the helmet so first, it has to be comfortable to you regardless of brand since shape design varies between brands. Second, the helmet should be of good quality & construction in case of an impact on the street. You only get one chance to save your skull so how much do you value it? A cheap helmet may be no better than a ball cap when it comes to crash time. Shoei is a very high quality helmet & if you like the fit over other brands I recommend it. You can get one for about $200-$225 if you shop. I have a new solid color TZR that I got last year for $206 on Ebay for highway riding & it's very quiet & similar in shape to the more expensive RF 1000 & RF 1100. Other brands were too narrow in shape for me & seem to be made for narrower skulls. Here's a link for some Shoei's on sale.

https://www.denniskirk.com/search/tzr.q
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 2:07 pm

Arkmage wrote:

I have a funky head shape and the Arai Profile is the only lid out of 20 I tried on at the gear shop that fit well out of the box.

I paid about $300 more than what I consider reasonable, but I figure for a quality lid that I'll likely use for 5 years or more it's not that bad.

Buy what fits and what you consider to be comfortable... it costs what it costs.

+1. I'd gladly pay $300 less than for an Arai Profile, if I could find something that comfortably fit my elongated melon without leaving it feeling after 2 hours like someone welded a piece of angle-iron to it, and without having to go up a size. Closest I've come is an AGV dual-sport, but it's still not perfect, and the visor is so wimpy that I refuse to ride with it attached.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 3:27 pm

motokid wrote:
I refuse to pay Shoei and Arai prices. Way to fucking high. Insane. I don't think they're worth the price.

Motokid: If you never had an expensive helmet you are certainly not qualified to say they are worth it or not. Right ?

I disagree on the $200 or less opinion. Maybe one that will worn occassionally and never has to have the liner removed and cleaned. Can you get an AGV for less than $200 ?

I'm a firm believer that, with helmets, you get what you pay for.

In the long-run, for a lid you may wear for a long time, simply amortize the price over the expected life of the helmet. An expensive helmet gets real reasonable real quick.

Having never been sorry for buying good equipment (and I've bought lesser expensive < and with it "quality" > stuff and was never happy with any of it), I'd simply recommend that one buy the best fitting, most expensive helmet (or any other protective equipment) you can afford.
Back to top Go down
jefmad

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 6:38 pm

[/quote]

[/quote]
With most everything, you get the marketing you pay for, not the product.
If an Arai or Shoei fit you and you dont mind spending the money, GREAT! But I have been wearing Scorpion helmets for 5-7 years and there is nothing the higher price helmets do better than Scorpion for me and the Scorp fits better.
Back to top Go down
Pokey

Pokey

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 7:13 pm

Scorpions are worth "or less" what you pay for them, most important thing is comfort and that you like your lid.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 7:45 pm

X-Racer wrote:
motokid wrote:

Motokid: If you never had an expensive helmet you are certainly not qualified to say they are worth it or not. Right ?

I disagree on the $200 or less opinion. Maybe one that will worn occassionally and never has to have the liner removed and cleaned. Can you get an AGV for less than $200 ?

In the long-run, for a lid you may wear for a long time, simply amortize the price over the expected life of the helmet. An expensive helmet gets real reasonable real quick.

Having never been sorry for buying good equipment (and I've bought lesser expensive < and with it "quality" > stuff and was never happy with any of it), I'd simply recommend that one buy the best fitting, most expensive helmet (or any other protective equipment) you can afford.

I've had an Arai. Once. Wore it for a few years.

Shoei never fit my head. hated the way they felt.

Had a Bell one too.

AGV fit my head really well and served me very well for years. Over a decade actually.

The very idea that the more expensive the better is simply not true.
It's hype and marketing but that's about it. Maybe some cool-ass graphics too.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 7:56 pm

I really like Scorpion street helmets. Good fit, good value.

I am currently wearing a Fly dual sport helmet and I love it.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 10:38 pm

All things safety being equal, fit and comfort is the most important. No disagreement there.

I never had anything but a Bell helmet for decades. ...but then again, in the olden days, there weren't too many choices.

I had an HJC and a Bieffe that were absolute misery on my head.

My Thor SV4 and my Suomy Spectre MX lids are about as comfortable as a helmet can get.

In reality it's probably a lot harder now, if not impossible with the safety standards, to buy a "Bad" helmet.

Your head - Your helmet choice.
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:52 pm

Arkmage wrote:

I use the Arai Profile for street riding and its well worth the money .. so damn comfortable

offroad I have the Shoei VFX-W and it too is well worth the money. I have used HJC and Fox but in my opinion does not come close to the Shoei. I had a Fox V2 that I was wearing last year on a fall and ended up with a light concussion (rear end swapped out going over big sandy whoops, ejected and landed on my side, the fall did not seem like a big deal until I started getting up and was dizzy .. symptoms lasted more than a week). Not sure if the helmet would have made a difference but I did a test, hitting the top of my helmet with my hand and realized when doing it with the Fox I got some crazy vibrations .. the Shoei is solid, feels like much better protection. The Fox helmet is comfortable on my head, thats why i bought it .. but from my experience comfort is not the best protection .. its important, but for me paying the big bucks for the Shoei's is worth it.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:57 pm

I agree with X-racer, I have the top end Shoei dual sport helmet with the built in face shield. Most comfortable, quiet helmet i've ever had. And the built in shield is so convenient when you ride with sunglasses and just flip it up and down for higher speeds or wind/dust.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are high end helmets worth the money?   Are high end helmets worth the money? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are high end helmets worth the money?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next