Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler

Go down 
+2
Rumbafish
Gundy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Gundy

More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler Empty
PostSubject: More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler   More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Managed to get the stock exhaust slipped on to my megabomb this evening (was not hard, just required Removal of the gasket and the slightest bending on the muffler tabs). Downloaded the PCV map for "stock exhaust with no airbox lid" and off I went. I will not be going back to the Q4 anytime soon unless I enter a hare scramble, but even then I am not sure my lap times would be faster. Throttle response is not as sharp, and the top end is more restricted. But, I was going plenty fast and comfortably riding with no ear plugs. I hit 76 on the freeway at wide open with 13/47 gearing and a calibrated speedo corrector. With the Q4 on the same stretch I would get to about 81, so it would seem the horsepower is down a bit, but as others have said, this is a 250 afterall. I have a stock header on its way to me and I will do a little comparison once it arrives, but I am happy/relieved to make the switch. Now I can fire up at 6am on Saturday on not have the neighbors crying bloody murder.
Back to top Go down
Gundy

PostSubject: Re: More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler   More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler EmptyMon May 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Tried stock header with stock muffler. Same map as with the megabomb. Slightly buzzier sound and maybe a little louder. Maybe a touch weaker on the bottom/mid. Verdict: if you have an aftermaket exhaust already, keep it if the sound isn't too loud. If you have a stock exhaust, best bang for your buck is lower gearing, open up the airbox, and get a fuel programmer. If you want to ride faster, put the money towards suspension. If you want more power, get a bigger bike!
Back to top Go down
Rumbafish

PostSubject: Re: More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler   More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 8:34 pm

I have a re-geared opened air box wr250r and was thinking of an FMF programmer and Megabomb with the stock exhaust. My intent is to keep it quiet and enhance low-end single track near idle climbing capability. It sounds like you think the programmer is worth it but the megabomb doesn't add much.

Did I get your impressions right?

Thanks for info! lurk 

Rumbafish

Back to top Go down
gomerwr250

PostSubject: Re: More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler   More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 7:18 pm

i am wanting to do all the mods and programer and would like a pipe but i want need it to be quit and prefer to keep the stock silencer i dont mind spending the cash for the megabomb if it helps. what is your opinion if you was to be buying it
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler   More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 4:05 pm

I'd stick an extra baffle in the end of a fmf Q4 and be done with it. (I did this too lol)

This setup is only a bit louder than stock but makes more power and is alot lighter.

Theres a thread on how to make Q4s quieter.
Back to top Go down
gomerwr250

PostSubject: Re: More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler   More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 6:23 pm

does the q4 have any typeof heat shield on it like the stock or to mount the stock shield or is the gytr the only pipe that has the heat shield mount?
Back to top Go down
GT-Rx

GT-Rx

PostSubject: Re: More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler   More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 11:38 pm

My WR250R was completely stock when I got it two weekends ago. I pulled the air box lid, and nixed the EXUP set up and it's now also PC'ed (I'm an approved Tech & long-time dealer for Dynojet's PC). It still runs like it has a cork in the tailpipe. I don't like noise as much as the next guy, but I do like to hear the exhaust note.. and right now it sounds like my air compressor. Anyone try the Leo Vince? I'm a dealer for them, but it's on back order currently... if I can wait that long.
Opinions from anyone who have heard both the Q4 and LeoV in person? I read some in the older posts, but want to bring it to the top.
Back to top Go down
GT-Rx

GT-Rx

PostSubject: Re: More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler   More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 9:37 pm

Got the FMF Q4 and header installed yesterday in place of the stock system sans EXUP (already disconnected & already removed the air box lid) and updated the Power Commander V map... a different machine now as expected(!). Way more bottom end power now just off idle and nice meaty midrange, and the sound... slightly louder then stock, but a nice mellow (non-air-compressor) BRAAAP = I'd call it near perfect (can't imagine wanting in any quieter, though I've read many have).
Next I'll pop an 02-sensor bung in and use AutoTune to build a proper fuel map, and swap out the rear sprocket to a 48 (once I get another chain ordered).

Last edited by GT-Rx on Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler   More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 12:11 am

I picked mine up yesterday & I'm right behind you. Planning a GXSR titanium can on it, I'll add the O2 during the install..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler   More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler Empty

Back to top Go down

More exhaust experimentation: megabomb and stock muffler
Page 1 of 1