Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better?

Go down 
+8
Krabill
NathanWiley
oic0
Novy
YZEtc
YamahaTN
motokid
rahiminia
12 posters
AuthorMessage
rahiminia

bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better? Empty
PostSubject: bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better?   bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better? EmptySun May 20, 2012 3:14 am

i have a 2008 wr250r it has a fmf q4 slip on and 45 tooth rear sprocket (i think the front is 13 i cant be bothred taking the guard off to check)
anyway today i was riding offroad with my cousin for the first time he has a rm125 with a 49 tooth rear sprocket (no idea what his front sprocket was sorry) and his bike has SO MUCH more bottom end power his lower gears just keep on going and going when compared to my bike, and i really liked that about his bike.
will getting a 48 tooth rear sprocket for my wr250r make a noticible diffrence in bottom end power without sacrificing too much top end? (cause i use my bike on the road a lot too)
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better?   bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better? EmptySun May 20, 2012 8:23 am

You're going to have to be bothered to check your front sprocket.
It's 3 bolts. dunno

I have 13/48 and can easily travel at 75 mph on the highway. (I do have a corrected speedo by the way)

I top out at about 84mph.

Bottom line is, gearing is about your only choice for more bottom end unless you want to spend big bucks on big-bore kits and rebuilds.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
rahiminia

PostSubject: Re: bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better?   bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better? EmptySun May 20, 2012 9:23 am

motokid wrote:
You're going to have to be bothered to check your front sprocket.
It's 3 bolts. dunno

I have 13/48 and can easily travel at 75 mph on the highway. (I do have a corrected speedo by the way)

I top out at about 84mph.

Bottom line is, gearing is about your only choice for more bottom end unless you want to spend big bucks on big-bore kits and rebuilds.

ill check the front sprocket 2moro, i think ill do the same as you, 13/48.(maybe 49) follow up question, will i need a bigger chain?
Back to top Go down
YamahaTN

PostSubject: Re: bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better?   bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better? EmptySun May 20, 2012 5:48 pm

Stock is 13/43. I dropped one tooth in the front and am happy both on the road and in the woods which is where my WR spends most of its play time.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better?   bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better? EmptySun May 20, 2012 6:16 pm

I have a hard time believing an RM-125 has more bottom-end power - your 250 has twice the displacement.

I'd lower the gearing and install a fuel programmer and practice.
Back to top Go down
Novy

PostSubject: Re: bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better?   bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better? EmptyMon May 21, 2012 3:57 am

I'm guessing he means to say that it has more get up and go. It's just the nature of the 2 stroke mx bike vs a 4 stroke dual sport. I took my cr250 out last week for the first time in 6 years. Forgot what it was like to pin it right from a stop, night and day difference from the wr250. But then I hit 5th gear and I keep trying to shift thinking "really, that's it???".
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better?   bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better? EmptyMon May 21, 2012 4:27 pm

I have no idea what you are talking about with bottom end and top end. Are you talking motor or gearing? Our bikes have about 50% more oomph on the bottom end of the rev range, and the 125s climb to a higher peak after we've run out of revs.

They are going to be quicker all around though as they weigh a lot less, have more power, and have gearing optimized for off road with no consideration for highway cruising like our bikes are capable of.
Back to top Go down
NathanWiley

PostSubject: Re: bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better?   bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better? EmptyThu May 24, 2012 11:10 pm

Just about any two stroke is going to feel more snappy off the bottom. Same with dedicated offroad bikes like the WRF models. Hell, even old school 4-strokes like the Honda XRs have more bottom. The WR is a bit of a slug untill you get into the midrange where the bike starts to make some power. A 13/48 setup (the gearing I run) helps, but don't expect a miracle. I find with this gearing a happy cruising speed is around 55-60. Any faster and the little engine feels rushed. This is with a corrected speedo.
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better?   bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better? EmptyFri May 25, 2012 12:16 pm

The rm125 is a mx bike. Mx bikes tranny's are geared much lower than our WR's are. The WR stands for Wide Ratio. It means we have a Wide Ratio transmission, not a lower, close ratio gearbox like you'll find in an mx bike. It's what makes our bikes better "all-around" bikes. If you want an mx bike, you're going to have to buy an mx bike. The WR250R is not one.
Back to top Go down
rahiminia

PostSubject: Re: bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better?   bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better? EmptySat May 26, 2012 9:05 am

Krabill wrote:
The rm125 is a mx bike. Mx bikes tranny's are geared much lower than our WR's are. The WR stands for Wide Ratio. It means we have a Wide Ratio transmission, not a lower, close ratio gearbox like you'll find in an mx bike. It's what makes our bikes better "all-around" bikes. If you want an mx bike, you're going to have to buy an mx bike. The WR250R is not one.

yeah true.. im just going to change my gearing to 13-49 should be good enough for my tastes =)
Back to top Go down
xy500

PostSubject: Re: bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better?   bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better? EmptySat May 26, 2012 9:25 am

Krabill wrote:
If WR stands for wide ratio, what does YZ stand for? Yakuza?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better?   bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better? EmptySat May 26, 2012 10:03 am

No, not that.
Yamaha has always put the letters YZ somewhere in the model designstion of their motorcycles that were built with competition in mind.
Since the YZF-R1 came out, that has been blurred a bit since the YZF-R1 is sold as a street bike to anybody with the money to buy one.
That's the idea, though.
What the Z in YZ means is anybody's guess.
Back to top Go down
Pokey

Pokey

PostSubject: Re: bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better?   bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better? EmptySat May 26, 2012 5:04 pm

Gearing and rev the piss out of it, I personally am very impressed with how this bike runs "coming from a DR650 too".
Back to top Go down
rahiminia

PostSubject: Re: bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better?   bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better? EmptySun May 27, 2012 12:45 am

Pokey wrote:
Gearing and rev the piss out of it, I personally am very impressed with how this bike runs "coming from a DR650 too".

would revving it that hard all the time hurt the bike? (this is my first bike and im like inlove with it, dont want to hurt it lol)
Back to top Go down
xy500

PostSubject: Re: bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better?   bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better? EmptySun May 27, 2012 2:25 am

YZEtc wrote:

What the Z in YZ means is anybody's guess.
IMO all the letters mean nothing, they're just designations.
Back to top Go down
Marioscario

PostSubject: Re: bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better?   bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better? EmptySun May 27, 2012 10:47 am

The WR doesn't shine at the bottom end but it does like to rev. The bike has a rev limiter so you shouldn't have to worry about engine damage. If you want more bottom end, gearing is really your best option. Last year, I swapped the front sprocket to a 12T. Still had the original 43T in the rear. Nice improvement!!! This year, I had to do a full drive replacement, so I went with a 12/47 combo with a new chain. Yeee Haww. Way better in the trails. Now I can get out of 1st or 2nd in the trails. Better bottom end for sure. The top speed is still fine but the rpms are not as low at hiway speeds. That's the trade off. I went on a long road ride with a buddy so I just swapped the front sprocket back to a 13T for the day. For now, I would drop to a 12T in the front. Get used to the bike. See how you like it. When it's time for a new chain, you'll have a better idea of what you like. 12/48 for great low end grunt, 13/43 for low hiway rpms or something in the middle.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better?   bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better? EmptyTue May 29, 2012 9:30 am

rahiminia wrote:
Pokey wrote:

would revving it that hard all the time hurt the bike? (this is my first bike and im like inlove with it, dont want to hurt it lol)

I ride mine like it is a 125cc two stroke. Wide open and slipping the clutch more often than not. 20k trouble free miles so far running it this way.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better?   bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better? EmptyTue May 29, 2012 10:43 am

Head porting.

The first thing that I noticed after getting my bike back together with a fully ported head was that the bottom end is much better. I actually have some grunt down low now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better?   bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better? Empty

Back to top Go down

bottom end on my bike is yucky how can i make it better?
Page 1 of 1