Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

I hear coolant boiling !!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
saddletramp

I hear coolant boiling !! Empty
PostSubject: I hear coolant boiling !!   I hear coolant boiling !! EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 10:54 pm

Air temperatures only about 70 degrees F. Activity = half hour of slow speed up hills , turns, weaving, figure 8's - all in first or second gear. Shut the bike off and hear coolant boiling. No engine warning light came on. Is this normal ?
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: I hear coolant boiling !!   I hear coolant boiling !! EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 10:55 pm

Coolant level is okay, by the way.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: I hear coolant boiling !!   I hear coolant boiling !! EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 5:28 am

Was your fan on before you turned the bike off?

You were getting very little "cooling" from wind if you were doing slow speed stuff.

Once you turned the bike off the coolant sure could have been boiling, but I can't say for sure.
Sounds like you were working the motor a bit hard.

Are you sure the ratio of anti-freeze to water in radiator is correct?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: I hear coolant boiling !!   I hear coolant boiling !! EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 7:26 am

If you were running the engine for 30 minutes with little air flowing through the radiator, you bet it's normal.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: I hear coolant boiling !!   I hear coolant boiling !! EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 12:11 pm

I have had that happen as well. I think it is just the coolant running back/to the over flow tank from the radiator because it is expanding/contracting due to the heat.
Back to top Go down
Adaycj

PostSubject: Re: I hear coolant boiling !!   I hear coolant boiling !! EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 11:03 am

I haven't done extensiI haven't done extensive testing, but my cooling fan does not run with the key off. So if the fan was on or about to run and you key off to stop the engine the fan will not run even though the coolant is hot enought to warrant it. Even worse, the circulating coolant, no longer circulates when the engine stops. The coolant is cooler than the metal and continues to absorb heat from the metal. The coolant will get even hotter for a time after shutdown.

Check the stuff mentioned here, and make sure the fan comes on when appropriate. Otherwise, I'd call it normal. You could idle it through a cooling fan cycle after you are done, but it is likely just a waste a fuel. 
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: I hear coolant boiling !!   I hear coolant boiling !! EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 9:47 pm

You know, I noted the gurgling sound but did not take notice if the fan was running or not. I guess I will just have to do another test run. (Not that I need someone to twist my arm to encourage me to do that). Alternatively, if it rains as much as the local forecast says I could just rig up a couple jumper cables to test that the fan is working properly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I hear coolant boiling !!   I hear coolant boiling !! Empty

Back to top Go down

I hear coolant boiling !!
Page 1 of 1