Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

odd dunlop 606 front wear

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
yaw

odd dunlop 606 front wear Empty
PostSubject: odd dunlop 606 front wear   odd dunlop 606 front wear EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 10:46 pm

I have used dunlop 606's for about 13,000 miles with great success. My latest front tire wore really oddly. The single center knob has at least a 1/4" left while the two center knobs (between each single center knob) have worn down to nothing. Below 10mpg the front end does a little pogo dance up and down. Has anyone else had this wear problem? Wondering if the tire is defective. Any thoughts? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: odd dunlop 606 front wear   odd dunlop 606 front wear EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 11:14 pm

The stock tires on my WRR did this. It took a lot of weight to balance the wheel to correct the problem.
Back to top Go down
yaw

PostSubject: I should note   odd dunlop 606 front wear EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 11:51 pm

Thats a good point. I had balanced the wheels so that should not have been the problem.
Back to top Go down
yaw

PostSubject: appears no one else has experienced this with the 606's.   odd dunlop 606 front wear EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 10:49 pm

I'm going to contact the merchant and see what they say.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: odd dunlop 606 front wear   odd dunlop 606 front wear EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 11:49 pm

My 606 front looks the same, with just over 5000kms on them.
They need to be changed for sure, but a very odd wear pattern. Heavily scalloped.
I'm guessing its from heavy braking. Every other pair of knobbies is worn at about 45 degrees compared to the rest being relatively flat.
Never did like that front tire...the back wore perfect.
Back to top Go down
yaw

PostSubject: I've had them scallop in the past   odd dunlop 606 front wear EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 12:03 am

I remounted my last pair backwards and rode them quite a bit longer. These wore more evenly than the last set (no need to reverse) but man did those double knobs between the singles wear down completely.
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: odd dunlop 606 front wear   odd dunlop 606 front wear EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 8:12 pm

What tire pressure are you running?
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: odd dunlop 606 front wear   odd dunlop 606 front wear EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 8:31 pm

My front started around 16+ psi, then eventually settled around 21. The majority being 21+-
About 50/50 use best as I could guess.
Back to top Go down
yaw

PostSubject: tire pressure   odd dunlop 606 front wear EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 9:38 pm

I usually run around 18 on the front for the street and will drop to 15 off road.
Back to top Go down
simonpig

simonpig

PostSubject: Re: odd dunlop 606 front wear   odd dunlop 606 front wear EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 10:19 pm

All my front D606s are like this, and I run them to 7,500K before changing. I've been through 3 sets and am on my 4th. This is by no mean scientific but I have a feeling that running lower tire pressures causes this because the center knob is squatting and the middle knobs are making most contact with the the pavement/hardpack. I felt guilty changing a tire that still had knobs, but my M.O. is if the center 2 knobs are worn to nothing its time to change it.
Back to top Go down
yaw

PostSubject: thanks Simonpig   odd dunlop 606 front wear EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 10:42 pm

I think these tires are ready to go. I've got a new one I just havn't gotten around to mounting it. Overall I'm pretty happy with the 606's.
Back to top Go down
simonpig

simonpig

PostSubject: Re: odd dunlop 606 front wear   odd dunlop 606 front wear EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 10:56 pm

You definitely got your moneys worth running them to 13,000 miles. Also that Pogo effect is your tires out of balance. I run rimlocks and sometimes my wheel weights fall during trailriding. When I'm back on the freeway, I can feel the front pogoing. I run rimlocks so its important to balance for street.
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: odd dunlop 606 front wear   odd dunlop 606 front wear EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 9:03 pm

I had this happen with an MT21, I suspect it was due to running too low pressure while street riding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: odd dunlop 606 front wear   odd dunlop 606 front wear Empty

Back to top Go down

odd dunlop 606 front wear
Page 1 of 1