Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle?

Go down 
+2
skrew
Mach828
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mach828

Mach828

Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle? Empty
PostSubject: Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle?   Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle? EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 8:38 pm

For those of you who have dyno'd your WRs. What air fuel ratio did the bike make the best power at?

I'm going to be at a dyno day in a few weeks, and I'd like to edit my tune while its on the dyno. But I need to know what air fuel ratio these bikes like, in order to base my adjustment of off. Also, on the FMF programmer, anyone how much my air fuel ratio will decrease by at fuel throttle for each point I go up?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
skrew

PostSubject: Re: Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle?   Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle? EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 5:45 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air%E2%80%93fuel_ratio
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle?   Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle? EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 9:06 am

skrew wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air%E2%80%93fuel_ratio

If by that you mean 14.7 you are no doubt incorrect.

From my experience every engine is a little different for peak torque and it will vary across the power band.

My old miata made the best power at 12.8:1 until around 4K, 13.2:1 until 6K, and then 13.0:1 to redline.

That was with a turbo, but the same rules apply. Generally speaking you don't get a perfect mix or a perfect combustion so for peak power all engines will need to be tuned a little rich to ensure that all of the available air is put to use.

It has the added benefit of cooling combustion temps a bit so you can run more advanced timing.
Back to top Go down
skrew

PostSubject: Re: Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle?   Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle? EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 9:14 am

You didn't read that careful enough to find AFR curve. That 14.xx value is only "ideal" between consumption and power. All knows that gasoline engine provide most power with AFR near 12.xx
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle?   Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle? EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 9:20 am

skrew wrote:
You didn't read that careful enough to find AFR curve. That 14.xx value is only "ideal" between consumption and power. All knows that gasoline engine provide most power with AFR near 12.xx

Wow... didn't bother to read that far. It's very unlike me to look at the text first instead of the pictures :)

Good call though.

It's also probably a good idea to mention that being higher/lower than "ideal" 12.6 isn't a big deal. Lambda sensors vary quite a bit depending on location in the exhaust stream, temperature, humidity, etc.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle?   Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle? EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 9:23 am

The "best air/fuel ratio" debate aside..... there's no way to really dial in an FmF programmer for that any way is there?

You've got acceleration mode, and full throttle mode, and cruise mode settings.

But those are too general for getting that detailed.

Now if the OP was using a PCV or even a PCIII I could see a desire to have that information.

But an FmF.... dunno

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle?   Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle? EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 9:33 am

motokid wrote:
The "best air/fuel ratio" debate aside..... there's no way to really dial in an FmF programmer for that any way is there?

You've got acceleration mode, and full throttle mode, and cruise mode settings.

But those are too general for getting that detailed.

Now if the OP was using a PCV or even a PCIII I could see a desire to have that information.

But an FmF.... dunno

It's just an offset value from the stock ecu map. So in theory you could shift the entire stock curve to match the AFR you wanted, but likely only in certain areas of the power band.

Honestly I don't think I could justify dyno time unless I had complete control over fuel and spark. Gains would just be too small for the outlay of cash.
Back to top Go down
lenzhotrod

PostSubject: Re: Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle?   Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle? EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 9:48 pm

scratch I have no idea what these engines like, but I do know gas engines produce the most power while running lean, just before they seize or burn thru a piston. poser2 Thats why NOS works!!
Back to top Go down
DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff

PostSubject: Re: Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle?   Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle? EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:51 am

Nitrous works because it provides more cool, dense oxygen than air alone (not much different in theory than turbo and supercharging with an intercooler). People run into problems with nitrous because it's cheap and easy to install, but they don't make the required fuel management mods nor do they watch their exhaust gas temperatures.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle?   Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle? Empty

Back to top Go down

Best Air Fuel Ratio at Full Throttle?
Page 1 of 1